PDA

View Full Version : cb shops?

JeepPhisherman
11-23-2003, 07:40 PM
I finally got around to installing my new cb/antenna and all I have left is to tune the antenna and whatnot. So are there any places around here I can pick up a cheap SWR meter? Or anyone have one I can use monday or tuesday.

Ingenloff
11-23-2003, 09:35 PM
There's a little shacklike place off 21; the lady that runs it is pretty good. She can tune it for you no problem - though I don't know if she charges or not.

Take 6N to 21. Turn right. It's just past the Exxon on the right hand side of the road (in front of the trailer sales place). You'll see a little sign that all it says is CB Shop, or something like that.

eight
11-23-2003, 10:11 PM
WTF tune cb? I just connected 2 wires and 2 plugs. Can somethin be adjusted or somethin like that make it better?

AgDieseler
11-23-2003, 10:37 PM
The antenna length can be adjusted to catch as much of the sine wave as possible. You can also route the cable some certain way to reduce interference, but I don't remember the particulars on it.

Ingenloff
11-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by eight
WTF tune cb? I just connected 2 wires and 2 plugs. Can somethin be adjusted or somethin like that make it better?

Depending on what antenna you get, not all come pre-tuned. They do that so you can adjust it to your needs (range, quality of cb, etc.). The new one I just bought doesn't require it...however, some of the more expensive/fancy ones prove to be a pain in the ass....

Graystroke
11-24-2003, 01:57 AM
almost all antenaes are tuneable. On some Firesticks and K40's you remove the tip and there is a screw that will help in adjusting the SWR, which I think stands for Signal Wavelength Ratio, not sure. On others, like the K40 I have now, you can adjust an outer sleave that slides up and down. On metal "Whip" antenaes or magnet mount you cut them to length from the base and then they're held in w/ a set screw.
By tunning the antenae you are creating the optimum length to catch the radio wave bouncing from your hood or roof or any nearby flat metal surface. The lower the SWR reading the better reception and transmitting the CB will have.

Doug Krebs
11-24-2003, 09:37 AM
Almost got it grayson "Standing Wavelength Ratio"

JeepPhisherman
11-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestion(s), I guess I'll head out to the shack off of 21 and see if that lady can help me out.