PDA

View Full Version : new place in the worx

froader03
05-27-2002, 06:29 PM
I might be headed to austin tomorrow night for a jeepmasters meeting. the LHOR boys informed me of a guy who has 5000 acres that he wants to make into something profitable but there are too many rocks, so he's thinking about opening an offroad park. I'm not sure of the location of the land, but the meeting is tomorrow night at 7 at BurgerTex on Airline? I'm waiting for confirmation and directions but hopefully I'll be able to make it. this is just kinda FYI, but if anyone else is interested feel free to gimmie a holler. 693-9988.

all for now.

BigRedFord04
05-28-2002, 01:08 AM
In case anyone does go, he probably meant Airport Blvd, its just north of 51st St. but I'm not sure where the BurgerTex is.

froader03
05-28-2002, 11:58 AM
yeah, it is on airport blvd... my mistake.

froader03
05-28-2002, 09:57 PM
Doug and I went to this meeting in Austin. Here's the write up from their board. It pretty much covers everything. Nice folks and all, not especially sociable though. We kinda laughed outloud when we realized that only two people out of close to 40 were drinking beer. I'll give you a hint, it was me and Doug. Anyways, here's the info...

If you work in any business long enough you learn to always take notes at meetings so that you can properly relay details later on, even if just to yourself. So I took notes tonight. Here goes:

1) This new offroading venue is just outside of Mason, Texas, about 30 miles west of Llano on highway 29. It is 800 acres of granite. Not mud, not sand, granite. If you are not familiar with the pros and cons of granite wheeling, please ask and I or someone else will inform you.

2) 800 acres sounds piddly next to Barnwell's 1800. But Barnwell is mostly covered with trees, and there are a lot of flat trails leading to the real ones. This Mason location probably actually has MORE wheeling than Barnwell.

3) This land is owned by a rancher, but is useless for anything agricultural. His lawyer, an offroader, suggested he might open it up for OHV use. The price is a bit steep, but evens out to Barnwell when you consider how much closer it is. We were told it is $25 a day with an extra $5 per passenger. This may change if the property is successful

4) Austin Fourwheelers AFW.org is sponsoring a run out there on Saturday, June 22nd, to see what it is like. We would like as much participation as possible on this run. Once again, none of us have been out there yet, so we can't report on the terrain, but parts of it look fun, other parts just downright damn scary. These are not trails, however, but just open land, so bypasses shouldn't be an issue.

5) The website has images of the terrain on a rotating slideshow at the homepage. If you find your way to the message board and CLUB NEWS you can locate the release form that will be needed to enter the property.

I would like to say that, of the clubs, we had BY FAR the largest showing. Thanks to Eliot, Ben, Robert, Cam, Hal, Nate, JJ, Dimitry, and Dave for showing up. It was a good meeting and I think valid points were raised by all.

Whoever can, try to make it on this run. At least go out there and check it out.

Also - the meeting's feeling seemed to be that we will have to pay to wheel in the near future. There is nothing but pessimism about rivers staying open. I've shared this for quite awhile now. I know that the lack of free wheeling is a pain in the ***, and will probably knock back participation even more, but this property looks pretty kick ***, and from the pictures alone beats the pants off of Llano and Devil's Den.

Okay, sorry to write the novel. Run on the 22nd. The drive is about two hours. If you've never been out on 29, beautiful scenery. Show up.

Doug Krebs
05-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by froader03

I would like to say that, of the clubs, we had BY FAR the largest showing. Thanks to Eliot, Ben, Robert, Cam, Hal, Nate, JJ, Dimitry, and Dave for showing up. It was a good meeting and I think valid points were raised by all.

Wow, i don't know any of these guys hensel:D Oh well, just giving you hell. But seriously this looks like a pretty sweet place. Full size friendly, plenty of obstacles, etc... They said breakage is common due to the nature of granite. Very sticky, but can be crumbly. It's about 20 miles away from Enchanted Rock, looks alot like it too. Here is the website for Austin Fourwheelers http://site23684.dellhost.com/main.html the revolving slide show is the place.

Lets get a list of people that are interested. So far it would be Hensel and I.