PDA

View Full Version : gear box?

J Cooper
12-01-2003, 12:15 AM
im in the market for a new steering gear box, mine is pretty shot. ive heard about the toy gear boxs being better... is this true?... and what kind? i found this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2445531841) but its non power steering... or should i just run up to a junk yard and pull one off a chevy or something?

Violentv8toy
12-01-2003, 01:22 AM
toy boxes are supposedly pretty good. You've gotta get the IFS 86-95 power boxes though. They typically run about 80-110 bux.

2wd chevy's supposedly arent bad either. I'd rather use a toyota's box cause there is less slop in it. (just my opinion)

robertf03
12-01-2003, 10:13 AM
I think swapping a toyota box in place of a saginaw box is a terrible idea. You'd have to have much wider axles to get away with an external frame mount, not to mention all the linkage and stuff that goes with it, all for a longer sector shaft made of japanese steel.

get a PSC box if you need an upgrade

J Cooper
12-01-2003, 11:14 AM
is the j20 or PSC something easy to find at a yard

eight
12-01-2003, 11:20 AM
J20 is a 3/4 ton jeep truck. Shouldn't be too dam hard to find.

J Cooper
12-01-2003, 11:21 AM
i know what a j20 is, i just never see them sitting around

robertf03
12-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by J Cooper
is the j20 or PSC something easy to find at a yard

I've only seen 1 j20 in the many Jeep only yards I've been to, so good luck with that one. PSC is a company started by one of the AGR guys. AGR's stuff kinda sucks now from what I've heard, but PSC has some cool stuff out there

Any 2wd gm steering box will work, but there are different splines on the input shaft. I know for a fact CJ and YJ splines are different, and even cj manual and cj power steering splines are different.

i dont know what year your jeep is, but the later model ones use o ring lines while the earlier use flared lines. I think ~1981 is the break because I had a hell of a time getting an o ring line for a 304 equipped CJ (Collins Bros carries them). Try to get one that uses the same lines or you'll need to hack up 2 lines and compression fitting fix them.

Also Try to get a box with 4 bolts, there are many 3 bolt versions (YJs, TJ's and I think XJ's are 3 bolts) that will work, they just dont have the bung for the 4th bolt.

J Cooper
12-01-2003, 11:30 AM
mine is a 85 w/ power steering... so its the o ring type? do you know what spline that one is off the top of your head

robertf03
12-01-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by J Cooper
mine is a 85 w/ power steering... so its the o ring type? do you know what spline that one is off the top of your head

should be the o ring type, but I'd check since thats not a factory offered engine for 85, who knows whats been swapped.

dont know the spline count

J Cooper
12-01-2003, 11:37 AM
the gear box is factory, just the motor was swapped out of a 5.... but thanks for the answers, thats what i was looking for

stx4wheeler
12-02-2003, 12:30 AM
just send it off to west texas off road, and have it rebuilt i have heard they good work on rebuilding gear boxes, also if you got the cash the agr boxes are pretty good to made a lot of diference on my freinds cj-5

chevsu
12-02-2003, 07:44 AM
just go full hydraulic :D

uglyota
12-02-2003, 08:51 AM
I would think the yota box would work okay for you. Besides being very easy to find (around $100 on ebay most of the time), they mount on a flat vertical surface with 3 bolts (shouldn't be too tough) and are easy to tap for hydro assist. Maybe pm Chris (crashnburn)...he knows quite a bit about them.
Then again, some yota guys switch to Saginaws...but I don't think it's common for the yota boxes to die. I don't know why Scott rebuilt his, though. Maybe to fix the leak (didn't that work well?:flipoff2: )

eight
12-02-2003, 09:03 AM
Why the **** would you put a toyota box on a jeep when another saginaw will bolt in place and can be tapped just as easy?

Violentv8toy
12-02-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by eight
He probably can't fit a toy box anyway.

This idea has to be worse than anything I ever came up with. Just fricken dumb. It beats the toy axles on a jeep and even the divorced case.

I'm not sure I agree. I'd rather depend on a 1995 toyota P/S box that is nice and tight than a P/S box from an old ass J20 sitting in an old mans yard. My gramps had a J20 and that thing didnt steer all that grand as i recall.

Fitting the box is another thing...and he prolly cant fit it...but for arguments sake, i'd rather use a toy box.
:cheers:

eight
12-02-2003, 09:33 AM
You don't put a 95 toy box onto a jeep when it aint any better than a newer saginaw. It's more work and doesn't get you anything. I don't mean that the toy box is crap or anything, it just don't go on a jeep. There's other things just as good that bolt on and don't require drag link mods and other **** that the toy one would. And you gotta hope the steering arm travel is the same as the saginaw that's allready on it, and you gotta hook a steering shaft to it, and you gotta hook the jeep lines to it, and there aint room on the outside of the frame for it on a jeep with stock width axles. This aint about what will work good on your toyota, it's for a fricken jeep.

Hey cooper, whats' wrong with the box you got now? Is it just loose? Have you tried adjusting it? I think when we replaced some steering and the fan clutch I wanted to tighten up the adjuster but I don't think I did it. I think the winch mount was in the way.

chevsu
12-02-2003, 09:33 AM
once again go hydraulic :D

Violentv8toy
12-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Well I wouldn't put a toyota steering box on a jeep either...i was just making a comment cause the way you said, it sounded like toy boxes were paperweights....but i agree with you, a bolt on job would work best...and now that i think of it, the toy box would not have as much swing as the saginaw box....for that reason alone, hes right, don't use the toy box.

J Cooper
12-02-2003, 12:34 PM
alright listen up... i was just asking what will fit in place of a jeep gear box with out changing anything else... the toy idea is not something i wanna do, i was just asking if it would fit in the place of mine.. and besides toyotas are gay :flipoff2: , i was looking for something with a little more power as to it without spending a **** load on a ARG or west texas setup... yes cody i would love to put a ram on there to help out with tha ARB but i dont know **** about it, if someone knows where to tap the box without sending it to those dumb ass west texas offroad guys ill go buy a little ram and ill set it up like that with just a chevy box or just use mine now.

i tried to tighten the box up when the wench plate off and it was as tight as it would go and its still has lots of play before the tires move and it leaks like a dirty whore

eight
12-02-2003, 01:18 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/HydroAssistTap/index.html

But I aint found a little cylinder for less than $100 yet. I think 1.5" bore is what you need. Cheap ag style ones only go down to 2".

J Cooper
12-02-2003, 01:27 PM
sweet, next question... saginaw or just another jeep box? and who is the one that can get rams for cheap... and whats a good size that will help in turning the tires while its locked but not to strong where its gonna start busting **** like ball joints and stuff on my 30... i was it small enough thats its still has a quick enough response for daily driving and all?

edit: i didnt read the bottom of ryans post... someone was saying they can get the 1.5 for like $30

uglyota
12-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Hey, wait!
I wanna keep arguing about Toyota boxes!
I think you should systematically start replacing everything on your jeep with stuff made in Japan. Start with the steering box. You see how much your Saginaw sucks, replace it with the 86-95 yota...now if you're worried about getting it to fit on that weak-ass Heep frame, you better replace that, too. FJ40 frame should work nicely. But then you might have radiator clearance problems...I got a nice little toyota radiator that's probably half as big as the one you got now. But you might have problems with cooling then, since it doesn't move the 8 gallons of fluid that big pig needs to stay out of the red, so I'd go ahead and upgrade to an early 90s 22r-e or even better, a late-model 2.7 taco motor. Now you're going to have to worry about gearing...better follow it with toy tranny and dual tcases. Oh, and it'll probably be cheaper to find yota axles with stock 4.10 gears than to regear your widetracks...throw in some longfields and lincoln lockers and yer set. Oh, I forgot, your 5 on 4.5, right? Toy didn't send any 10-inch wide wheels out of the factory, so you might have to do that aftermarket.
:flipoff2:

J Cooper
12-02-2003, 01:48 PM
i could... but i could also be gay :eek: :flipoff2: its all about keeping it american :usa: and its 5 on 5.5... get it straight

uglyota
12-02-2003, 01:55 PM
I heard the steering on the Ford Festiva's pretty tight...maybe one of those steering boxes would bolt up :flipoff2:

J Cooper
12-02-2003, 04:03 PM
:rolleyes: ill look into it, those things are beasts!

Violentv8toy
12-02-2003, 04:04 PM
just curious but why would u need hydro assist for a jeep on 33s?

EDIT: i'm just asking...i dont know a whole lot about hydro assist or hydro steering. My friend has a K5 on 39" boggers thats built pretty nice and hes got hysteer with hydro assist....I would see why he would need it, but why you? Isn't that overkill?

J Cooper
12-02-2003, 04:13 PM
well when aired down with an arb in 4 low with your **** trying to turn around a corner while its stuff up against a rock, its not real easy to turn the wheel... or just with it locked it four low you gotta do a 12 point turn to make a right.... its not like its a full hydraulic set up... its just to assist, normal driving its fine, its just to make it a little easier and "assist" in turning the tires on the trail so its not all on the box

thats cool ryan... ill go in on that