PDA

View Full Version : shackles

J Cooper
12-15-2003, 11:53 AM
what do you think? part of my on going quest to not have a complete heep... made these on sat with the help of uglys welding... notice the little dog leg to keep my springs from inverting... sorry only pic, batteries are dead in camera, and im poor

eight
12-15-2003, 12:55 PM
If you're gonna stay with the springs you've got, you could fix the inverting problem by unbolting the shackle hanger and moving it towards the axle about an inch. Then drill and tap new holes and bolt it back on. Should flex better too.

uglyota
12-15-2003, 01:22 PM
can he just drill and tap, or is there a captive nut up in there?
We were thinking about moving them forward and welding 'em on.

eight
12-15-2003, 01:44 PM
As far as I think, all the holes are just tapped from the factory. But I dont really remember specifically on the hangers. I know all my skid plate ones were just tapped. But there's be nothing wrong with welding them on.

robertf03
12-15-2003, 01:45 PM
cant move it back from the stock position without big time modifying the steering gear box mount. it uses the shackle as a spacer.

if its the rear you'll need to grind off the rivet for the rear crossmember.

ryan that must be some owner modification if your skidplate is held on by a tapped frame.

eight
12-15-2003, 01:54 PM
You could just build a spacer and put it where the hanger was. When I outboarded I just cut the eye off the shackle hanger and put it back in there. Tapped frame could have very well been owner mods, I know the transmission was changed 3 times and a few clutches before I got it.

J Cooper
12-15-2003, 11:12 PM
yeah well that takes time, and i plan on doing a shackle reversal and some other stuff, so this it just a temporary fix, ill move the hangers when i figure out how high i want it to sit... and this only cost me $3.24. plus a couple bolts.

does any body have any poly bushing laying around they dont want or want to sell, landon gave me some for the front but my rear ones are pretty much not there anymore... horeileys wanted like $50 for the top and bottom on the rear.... no thinks... if not i guess ill order some for christmas from a mag for cheaper.