PDA

View Full Version : good uv protectant

stx4wheeler
12-17-2003, 04:17 AM
yeha i am almost finished with the body work on the bronco, and i dont see the need to go blow 400-to 800 on a paint job right now cause i am prolly gona screw it up, and was thinking about a rattle can paint job, i have done this on my wagoneer and it was pretty faded after a year anyone know of a good uv light protectant that i could spray on top of it to slow down this fading for a couple years till i get all the important mechanical stuff done.

try and keep it on topic, and yes i know i am a cheap @$$ for doing this.

bburris
12-17-2003, 04:32 AM
maybe try the Krylon clear coat stuff?

stx4wheeler
12-17-2003, 04:50 AM
i thought about that but that stuff dulls the color, and you got to be careful not to let it get to much in one spot cause of the white spots thanks, if no one comes up with anything better thats what it is gonna get.

bburris
12-17-2003, 04:54 AM
If you have access to an air compressor you could get a cheap sprayer and spray some auto-grade clear coat on it.

stx4wheeler
12-17-2003, 04:55 AM
oh yeha i never thought about that, that would work pretty good.

TRDyota
12-17-2003, 11:28 AM
just don't paint it, it's gonna get messed up again anyway.

Violentv8toy
12-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Yeah. If it looks really bad and would positively look better with rattle can....do it. Otherwise, rattle can sucks. I had to rattle can my truck cause its better than driving around in a multicolored truck. I probably spent 100 dollars trying to it 'right' but it didn't come out all that grand. I didn't use clear coat either.

uglyota
12-17-2003, 12:12 PM
$100 on rattlecans when you can probably get a quart of rustoleum and a cheap-ass devilbliss gun for that much...
...and you'll still have the gun when you're finished

Violentv8toy
12-17-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by uglyota
$100 on rattlecans when you can probably get a quart of rustoleum and a cheap-ass devilbliss gun for that much...
...and you'll still have the gun when you're finished

exactly. In my opinion...if you cant do it right the first time....do it 1/2 right and call it good.:cheers:

eight
12-17-2003, 01:33 PM
Yep, get a spray gun and some 2 part rustoleum paint. I think its about $30 per gallon. That's what my jeep's painted with and it can shine if the rain washes the dust off of it. Get a flat piece of sheetmetal to practice on a little. Spray light coats. Start at one end of a section and go all the way to the other end making one line of paint aimed at the edge of the section, then point the spray gun at the edge of that line to get good overlap. 2 light coats of primer, and then 2 or 3 light coats of paint. Should turn out good enough that you won't want to scratch it.

robertf03
12-17-2003, 01:38 PM
ok, i'll play the part of mr. obvious. If you are going to spray it with a gun, why not buy real automotive paint?

uglyota
12-17-2003, 01:41 PM
rattlecan touch-ups :D

Violentv8toy
12-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by robertf03
ok, i'll play the part of mr. obvious. If you are going to spray it with a gun, why not buy real automotive paint?

It would be the cost, Mr. Obvious.

Actually, its not a bad idea. You know bubba walkers white chevy? That was an ugly ugly ratty blue and grey and multicolored and all that. We'll he bought the white paint off ebay....you know the 39.00 a gal stuff. It came out really good considering we painted it in a field.

TXsizeK5
12-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Screw automotive paint, just use krylon. I use that for everything. Need a paintjob? Krylon. Got a scratch? Use Krylon. Got some rust showing? Krylon that shiat. :cheers:

:laughing:

eight
12-17-2003, 02:41 PM
The 2 part paint is what cars were painted with 40 years ago. It will not shine as good as today's paint, but it is supposed to be more resitant to scratches, and easier to make it look decent for us non-professionals. And the cost of it is about equal to rattle cans.

stx4wheeler
12-17-2003, 05:42 PM
ok it is many colors right now, brown, grey, and red on the tailgate, the grey is primer. i have spent a lot of time fixing rust and holes form the factory trim, i have new non rusty fenders for it doors, a hood i sanded down to bare metal and primered, along with all the new grill's to make it look bling blingin again. i have use to an air tank and sprayer that we use to paint the race cars with. i also have many extra fenders and body panels to screw around with to find the right number of coats. i want to try and do some kind of two tone(i will post the pick) this would be a large pita i know, i was saying krylon cause i could do it at my house paint one side or one color and then drive it in the garage and let it dry without it becoming victim to the south texas winds(dirt). at my friends shop it would prolly have to dry outside because the 20-30 thousand dollar race cars are in the shop so they aint gonna pull them out over night for my shat to dry, and the shop is right new to an open field and orchard so lots of dust. if i was gonna go to the trouble ofa spray gun i would use autmotove that was half way decent so there fore running the cost up to over 100 bucks, not wanting to do this at this point.

stx4wheeler
12-17-2003, 05:43 PM
hopefully

redcagepatrol
12-18-2003, 10:23 AM
a $6 quart of paint should be enough with a sprayer. You can buy a $30 sprayer, masking tape, and the paint for cheaper than rattle cans.

I spent $6 on a quart of "safety red" for my cage at Lowes (they sell spray cans also for touch-up), $6 on a quart of primer, and $6 on a quart of flat black for the frame.

$18 painted my rolling chassis.

BTW, painting cages / frames SUCKS!! there is 360 degrees that needs to be covered and alot of wasted paint (overspray)

uglyota
12-18-2003, 10:44 AM
I think you should spend $2k on rhinolining and flop it
We need to build some bumpers for that mutha

stx4wheeler
12-18-2003, 02:01 PM
i got a great front bumper that i just need to modify to make it a little lighter, and more protective for rocks and prolly weld on a light bar, i ll post. but it might just be easier to make a new one well see. nd heck it dont even got a rear bumper for inspection i just use one bolt on each side to hold a bumper on off of an f-150, but it throws some wicked rooster tails without a bumper:cheers:

BigRedFord04
12-18-2003, 07:53 PM
all thats important is to just make it all one color...whatever's cheapest at home depot....plan for at least two cans per fender size area. if that looks like its going to be a lot look at getting a gun. i sprayed my rear bumper with gloss black, let it dry, then sprayed clear coat on it...that was a year and a half ago and its still as shiny as the stuff i have that was powdercoated. just remember before you pull your wallet out....TRAIL RIG!! its supposed to be ugly, i just think making it one color will get rid of some of the white trash look.

uglyota
12-19-2003, 10:53 AM
what kinda clear coat, Austin?

uglyota
12-19-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
all thats important is to just make it all one color
Primer gray doesn't count :D

BigRedFord04
12-19-2003, 06:33 PM
i think it was just the cheap ho'reillys clearcoat, i doubt i spent more than $2 a can on it.

....and yes, primer gray does count as one color :flipoff2:

Shaggy
12-19-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by uglyota
I think you should spend $2k on rhinolining and flop it
We need to build some bumpers for that mutha

was that an attack on me... damnit

froader03
12-20-2003, 12:36 AM
http://www.zolatoneaim.com/

stx4wheeler
12-20-2003, 11:32 PM
well this is kinda off the subjest but hell it is my thread. i got the half doors halfway finished, just need to do some bondo then weld the top on them, along with riggin up some easy one and off hinges, plus speakers, and i am rollin, with some fairly tight looking doors that look kinda like the ones of a jeep just not :rainbow: . i post when they are done .

redcagepatrol
12-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by stx4wheeler
well this is kinda off the subjest but hell it is my thread. i got the half doors halfway finished, just need to do some bondo then weld the top on them, along with riggin up some easy one and off hinges, plus speakers, and i am rollin, with some fairly tight looking doors that look kinda like the ones of a jeep just not :rainbow: . i post when they are done .

You're not really going to wheel a full-size are you???:rainbow:

uglyota
12-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by stx4wheeler
i got the half doors halfway finished
3/4 doors?
Git 'er dun!
:cheers:

StevenAg03
12-22-2003, 03:24 PM
wouldnt that actually be 1/4 doors then?:flipoff2:

uglyota
12-22-2003, 08:15 PM
not if you start with whole doors
:flipoff2:

Violentv8toy
12-22-2003, 08:41 PM
5 out of 4 aggies have problems with fractions!

:laughing: :cheers: :laughing:

Shaggy
12-22-2003, 09:02 PM
*** that is a good one

stx4wheeler
12-29-2003, 03:58 AM
hell yes i am gonna wheel a fullsize.

stx4wheeler
02-21-2004, 09:40 PM
well here are a couple pics of what i got done now i still need to make the easy off hinges for them, and find some beter mirros those on there didnt give me the look i wanted but hey they were cheap. And let me tell you these things took a crap load of time to cut down, weld in the supports and top, on spray the inside with undercoating, along with cutting out the holes for the speakers and tweeters. they look alot better in person.

stx4wheeler
02-21-2004, 09:41 PM
other pic

Graystroke
02-21-2004, 09:43 PM
how wide are those doors. from the second pic they look to be 12" wide!

stx4wheeler
02-21-2004, 09:48 PM
they are like 6.5 or 7 inches wide if i remember right

uglyota
02-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Hey Kev, maybe next time you can stand more than 15" away before taking the picture?

They match the truck! Primer gray!

Just kidding, man, those look sweet! I reckon I oughta be makin me some of them before long.

:cheers: