PDA

View Full Version : Rear leafs question

TRDyota
01-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Okay, I know that this probably has a simple answer, but still, is it possible that my toyota could have some sort of factory device that limits the travel of my rear axle, sort of like a sway-bar? I mean, I know my stock leafs suck, but they shouldn't suck this much. It's got to be something else...

That being said, is there anything that can be done, or undone for that matter, to fix this without having to open up my wallet?

Thanks,

Doug Krebs
01-28-2004, 12:49 PM
There very well could be a sway bar.

TRDyota
01-28-2004, 12:52 PM
How much of a difference will removing the sway bar make? A couple more inches of travel?

Violentv8toy
01-28-2004, 12:53 PM
get your set of end wrenches and git to work on it.

My 91s had a bumpstop on the main leaf that hits the frame when flexed hard. Came off with a squeeze of the torch.

They probably do suck though cause i'm sure taco's have shorter springs.

EDIT: and your shocks are probably limiting you along with the sway bar.

uglyota
01-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Jack it up until a wheel starts to lift, see what's tight and cut it off! :D

Keep an eye on brake lines...mine were one of the first things in the way, and probably not something you want your whole rear end hanging off of. If it looks like the springs themselves are limiting, you might want to open up the spring clamps.

Shocks are probably a big part of it, and one of the more expensive pieces to correct, but you could take them off temporarily to see what else is keeping you back. Then when you're ready to flip your u-bolts and re-configure the shocks, get or build and install whatever shock-mounting kit you decide on and measure the distances between the mounting points at full stuff (tires start to rub) then at full droop, and buy shocks accordingly. If you do it right, your shocks should not limit anything.

TXsizeK5
01-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Shocks are a luxury item. Just chunk em.

really though, do what eric said. its simple enough. Use a high lift and jack up from the bumper untill your tires are about to come off the ground and see what's underthere holdingyou back.

If your brakeline is stecthced to bursting, you can ghetto-rig something easy enough no reason to go and buy 80 some-odd dollar extended lines.

uglyota
01-28-2004, 03:30 PM
ummm...yeah, I took my shocks off temporarily (like I suggested)...about 3 months ago!
And definitely do some searching before you buy hi-dollar stainless brake lines that suck. There are far better alternatives.

TRDyota
01-28-2004, 03:32 PM
It could be the shocks, but i really don't think it would be...I was told that the Bilsteins were supposed to be able to stretch pretty far. If not, the lift that i'm gonna get comes with 4 new shocks, I'll have to double check what brand they are.

Anybody wanna bring a hi-lift to the meeting tonight? I'll bring a mag-light...

And so my next question is how much work will it be to install add-a-leafs?

And secondly, how much work is it to remove the front sway bar (which i know for sure is still there)?

stx4wheeler
01-28-2004, 05:53 PM
i dont know if you would want to ditch your front sway bar, i am not so sure that is a good idea on an ifs truck, i may be wrong but i wouldnt think it would be making that much a difference on your front flex, and on such a new truckit may make it alot more squirrely.

Doug Krebs
01-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by stx4wheeler
i dont know if you would want to ditch your front sway bar, i am not so sure that is a good idea on an ifs truck, i may be wrong but i wouldnt think it would be making that much a difference on your front flex, and on such a new truckit may make it alot more squirrely.

I believe he is talking about his rear axle from what i understood in his first post

eight
01-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Doug Krebs
I believe he is talking about his rear axle from what i understood in his first post

Originally posted by TRDyota

And secondly, how much work is it to remove the front sway bar (which i know for sure is still there)?

TRDyota
01-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by stx4wheeler

I disagree. if i disconnect the sway bar, i'm simply gonna have to take corners slower. And i do think it will increase wheel travel a little more, but i could be mistaken. Also, if i am not satisfied with the trucks performance without the sway bar, it can always get put back on.

Edit: Also, i took a look at the rear springs. There is nothing hindering their travel, they just suck. Time to hit-up a pick-a-part and get some 63" chevy springs. Who has the most reasonable prices around here?