PDA

View Full Version : Still can't get my taillights to work right

uglyota
01-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Okay so I'm still trying to get the cheap trailer lights from TSCO to work as taillights on Ugly.
Everything works now except for when the parking lights are on and I hit the brakes, the taillights don't get noticeably brighter.
I'm guessing this is because the lights are getting enough juice just with the taillights on, so they don't get brighter when the brake circuit gets activated. Also, when the parking lights are off and I hit the brakes, the dash lights up because that circuit's being activated (this may or may not be a problem).
Here's the quickie diagram...truck has a wire for taillight (red) and a wire for brake (blue), a wire for turn/hazard (green), and a ground (black). Trailer lights have a wire for tail/brake (red) and a wire for turn/hazard (green) and grounds through the mounting posts (yes my grounds are good).
Now can I just stick a diode or resistor on the red wire on the truck side of the splice to reduce the voltage and limit feedback? Am I trying to do something that I can't do?
Here's the pic...TIA

Doug Krebs
01-29-2004, 11:41 AM
I retract, i didn't read, i'm dumb!

eight
01-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Its a dual filiment bulb, it acts just like 2 bulbs. Take the cover off and make sure both are lighting up. They're the little round springy lookin things in there. One lights up for the parking lights, the other lights for the brake/turn light.

You're thinking of it like its just one light with a dimmer type thing where that one light gets brighter with increase in power. Think of it as two seperate light bulbs.

And I know I've said this before, but have you run some extra ground wires from the cab to the battery and from the frame to battery?

If it don't rain today I should finish the jeep then maybe I'll come see what I can find tomorrow. Do the blinkers work?

uglyota
01-29-2004, 12:09 PM
There are two bulbs in the "fixture"
One for turn/hazard and I'm guessing the other is for everything else. only two wires coming out...a little one for turn/hazard and the other for everything else. I don't know if the big one has two filaments. Doesn't a dual filament need two leads?
Blinkers work, and it doesn't turn everything off when I hit the brakes, so I figured the grounds were good, but I'll try running a few extras. Give me a call if you can come check it out.
Thanks

eight
01-29-2004, 12:46 PM
There are 2 filaments in the big bulb. The little bulb is on the same circuit as the brighter filament in the big bulb. It has two leads, that's what those 2 wires coming in to the fixture are. Sounds like maybe the brakelight switch isn't working.

robertf03
01-29-2004, 12:50 PM
your wiring is wrong...

your 2 wire lights have wires for ....

parking lights which are on when the lights are...

brake/turn signal.

your toyota has 3 wires, because most foreign countries use an amber turn signal, it is not wired in to over ride the brake light.

you'll have to get creative with the under dash steering column, brake light, and turn signal relays. Copy a chevy or jeeps wiring, they use the 2 light setup.

uglyota
01-29-2004, 02:52 PM
dammit!
Well, I've got some #1157 independent dual filament bulbs with low-profile sockets (2 contacts+ ground) laying around (from something ELSE that didn't work). Maybe I can get them to fit in the trailer light housing. But now I've got problems with using them as tow lighting...hmmmm...
Thanks guys

Graystroke
01-29-2004, 03:05 PM
If you do have amber turn signals go to U-hual and buy the converter box. My truck has amber turn signals and I had to buy the box so I wouldn't blow the bulbs when pulling a trailer. Should be an esy fix w/ a box.

eight
01-29-2004, 03:06 PM
If flems is correct then you shouldn't have any problem, just find that other wire for the brakes and hook that where the blinker wire is now, then get another cheap light to use as a turn signal. Would be easier than changing the factory wireing.

uglyota
01-29-2004, 03:53 PM
That just crossed my mind over lunch...gonna get a pair of cheapo lights and hardwire them into my truck's taillight circuit, then run everything else how I had it!
Check out the new schematic! Practically stock!

stx4wheeler
01-29-2004, 04:07 PM
that sounds like it might work but i am a novice at electrical.

Graystroke
01-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Dude, if you get the box from u-haul it will solve your problems. They always carry them and they're easy to hook up. Why do people make things so difficult and try to re-invent the wheel.

PS> Did you check your flux capacitor to see if it was blown?:flipoff2:

Fredo
01-30-2004, 12:53 AM
I agree with Grayson. That is the only way you're going to get them to work unless you basically build your own converter that does the same thing as the $10 one from u-haul does. Either that, or rewire your truck so it uses the brake and turn as one bulb.

uglyota
01-30-2004, 03:14 PM
alright my diagrams are only half the picture, as in, one side of the truck.
There's another on the other side. Does the converter accept 8 wires and spit out 6? Or do I need to buy two convertors?
I ain't tryin to reinvent the wheel, I'm tryin to save some $$$
(I'm not trying to ask for advice and then argue with those who are generous to give it either, by the way...just trying to minimize screwups and get this thing over with)

and my Flux capacitor's just fine, thank you

oh yeah, and :flipoff2:

Graystroke
02-02-2004, 02:07 AM
You won't use all of wires. Just pretend that the lights you're trying to wire up are on a trailer. You'll need 4 wires. Brake, Running, Left Signal, Right Signal.