PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Suspensions

Krawler68
06-10-2002, 11:18 AM
from the how did Troy do at Pro Rocks thread... any brilliant ideas on how one of these suspenions is actuated? what link setups are typically being used?

Cajun
06-16-2002, 11:17 PM
Sorry, no input, but this has my attention. If you find any info anywhere else, please post it here or notify me otherwise.

Krawler68
06-17-2002, 09:55 AM
I think I'm going to start a thread on POR... we'll see what I dig up...

robertf03
06-17-2002, 10:41 AM
Doug I've never seen one of these setups, but why don't you just go for coil overs for now? You'll probably need the same 3 or 4 link setup on the hydraulic suspension. From what it sounds like, this hydraulic suspension is basically a coilover setup but with a hydrauilc ram instead of a shock.

Krawler68
06-17-2002, 11:53 AM
actually most people that run these rams run them AS a shock on a basic spring setup with a traction bar... supposedly there is a float setting on the hydraulic spool valve and it allows the rams to have a slight amount of dampening, but to be able to lock up and move if you over ride the spool valve setting... I don't REALLY wan to waste money on coil overs right now...they're cool, but they're expensive for a set of shocks... when i have a coil setup that will ramp fine allready... the only advantage to coil overs for me would be to dovetail the rear and move my rear axle back about 8"-12".

Cajun
06-17-2002, 10:05 PM
I dig 'em for their leveling capabilities. Off camber? No problem! Extend the downhill side and keep the chassis level.

...And so I can say my ride has "switches"

:cool:

Rex
06-17-2002, 10:31 PM
Don't hydraulics run REALLY stiff when you actuate them? Search on POR for hydraulic or forced articulation, there's lots of info. I would think that airbags would be a good solution too, yo can set them up with high flow valves to inflate them very fast and i would think they would ride better, too. If you really want to learn about suspensions, go to the forum at www.sierrarockcrawlers.com . And check out one ton yj, in the tech section, he uses a 7 link and airbags. :D

StevenAg03
06-18-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Rex
Don't hydraulics run REALLY stiff when you actuate them? Search on POR for hydraulic or forced articulation, there's lots of info. I would think that airbags would be a good solution too, yo can set them up with high flow valves to inflate them very fast and i would think they would ride better, too. If you really want to learn about suspensions, go to the forum at www.sierrarockcrawlers.com . And check out one ton yj, in the tech section, he uses a 7 link and airbags. :D

yeah but that jeep is not usefull nor is it cost efficient. i mean hell he has to have some sort of computer on board so he can run the system....sure it looks cool but not worth the money...and i think that was done as an engineering project or somehting like that...

Krawler68
06-18-2002, 10:16 AM
those airbags aren't a very cool setup...I read a lot on them on POR...I think Hydraulics are BY FAR the best answer... it will just take a while to learn how to use them. A long while...especially with a standard...

Rex
06-18-2002, 11:13 PM
Why isn't it a good setup? It uses a 7 link to keep the airbags level and it looks like it works pretty well to me. The only reason he has it set like that is so he can have automatic leveling so he wouldn't have to mess with levers while he's jeeping, you don't have to have that. And air bags are cost effective, have you ever priced good 14" travel hydraulic rams with heim joints? Air bags are only 70-100 bucks a piece and a lot of people already have OBA. Then you have to buy valves, which can range in price. But with hydraulics you have to buy the rams, electric pump and resevoir, and control valves, so either set up is about the same in price. Both have their pros and cons, and I like both, but it will probably be a while before i could run either b/c they are both expensive. A lot of the people on the POR board just jump the band wagon and don't keep an open mind, so the won't get flamed.

StevenAg03
06-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Rex
A lot of the people on the POR board just jump the band wagon and don't keep an open mind, so the won't get flamed.

not a true-er word has ever been spoken.....

Krawler68
06-19-2002, 09:45 AM
Firstly I have never met or talked to anyone who actually USED airbags who has had them work like they planned... they blow out and tear constantly...even the high dollar Firestone bags... and this not just POR I'm talking about. The 14" hydraulic rams aren't what I'm looking at... I'm looking at 16" rams and they aren't that bad... I've found them for 175 apeice at a place in Palestine Texas. I don't like the 7 link setup because it creates all sorts of suspension geometry headaches... It also is MUCH more expensive if you're going to try and engineer all the links and gather parts... I also like the forced uptravel (compression) you can acheive with hydros you can't get with airbags. The only thing I see that will cost more on a hydro setup is the spool valves and such... but I'm still not sure how it will work out... I'm going to examine my neighbors lowrider with 4 wheel motion this evening and see what the setup looks like.

as for POR being a bandwagon site... it's true, but it is still the greatest wealth of knowledge and experience on the net... more folks from more areas with varying knowledge than you'll find anywhere else... just take it with a grain of salt.

Cajun
06-19-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Krawler68

as for POR being a bandwagon site... it's true, but it is still the greatest wealth of knowledge and experience on the net... more folks from more areas with varying knowledge than you'll find anywhere else... just take it with a grain of salt.

That pretty much sums up my feelings for the Pirate4x4 BBS.