PDA

View Full Version : Frame Swap?

Pages : [1] 2

BigRedFord04
02-09-2004, 04:12 AM
I dont wanna steal Tate's thunder but i wanna get some ideas going on where to begin. This past trip being the 5th time Tate has cracked his frame, he's decided its time for a frame swap, which at the same time will entail new wiring, a solid axle and shackle flip, if not also to include a new front bumper. Tate wants to take the cab off 1st so i'd imagine he'll need to remove all the wiring before anything. I agree that it should go 1st. then move the axles to the new frame, then engine, transmission and xfer case all together to keep from unbolting any of it. then gas tank and finally put the cab back on and rewire everything. did i forget anything? would y'all do it differently?

Chadnutz
02-09-2004, 09:02 AM
I know where a Bronco is/was with an NP435. THe body was really rusted though. Probably go for fchaep if he still has it.

eight
02-09-2004, 10:29 AM
There is a slightly wrecked 88 bronco in the san antonio newspaper for $1000. It has a fuel injected 351. I'd think that injection stuff would swap over to his motor easily.

But while you're doing a frame swap, you might as well swap on this too.
http://www.jpoffroad.com/replacement/images/cj8b_3qvw250.jpg

fbronco86
02-09-2004, 12:26 PM
why why why

nope if i was gonna start all over again. i dont think i would have any body at all. Plus why build a full size again they are just big and gay. If you still want some thing bigger than a heep get a scout body or scambler tub.

BigRedFord04
02-09-2004, 12:26 PM
i dunno what y'all read, but i said "frame swap". he wants to keep the body, its got like $6000 in bedliner on it....and i think they sell that stuff for like $1/lb.

uglyota
02-09-2004, 02:54 PM
I don't know details on broncs, but when I did a "cab swap," most of the wiring either stayed with the cab, or with the motor, connecting at the computer. Just unplugged the engine's harness from the comp, fed it out through the firewall, unplugged this, cut that, and yanked the body off. There was very little wiring that was actually involved with or stayed with the frame. Same with the drivetrain, just yanked it off the frame, installation is the reverse of removal.

If I were you, I would leave the running gear alone at first, put little tires on the new rolling chassis, and get about 8 guys (or the lift in Nutz's shop) to heft that pig and either leave it hanging or set it off to the side. Put both rolling chassis side by side and move the drivetrain over. Slap the cab on the new frame and then start working on the axles. Body and drivetrain shouldn't take more than a weekend.
Since his harness is messed up, I would try and find a stock complete donor truck, maybe wrecked or rolled, but with intact harness, and DON'T CUT IT UP!

redcagepatrol
02-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Is it cracking in the same place each time? If it is, maybe it's the "fixer".
I think that I would box or reinforce the frame thats there before I swap in another frame that's going to break in the same place.

My frame cracked on my last Toyota and on my Dodge - both at the steering gearbox. I made a template out of cardboard the shape of the frame and cut out some plate to reinforce it. I had to grind a groove in the crack on the inside and weld it up because there was no room to add some flate plate.
Worked great in both trucks...

Graystroke
02-09-2004, 03:42 PM
I agree w/ scott. The body is not in grand condition so why worry about the frame being new and looking good. I would box the front half of the frame and then build the cross member from flat and cut two drop cross member patterns and box those gusset them at the fram w/ angle on both sides. If the frame still is weak you may think about a cage through the firewall and have top cross supports (create a shock tower top support)

stx4wheeler
02-09-2004, 04:16 PM
well the fact of the matter is that the 1980 bronco was a transition model, from the solid axle 78-79 broncos. The frame on the 80' is the worst bronco frame i have ever seen. The back of it has like five huge 4 inch in diameter holes, and i have heard of many other bronco people that say the 80' frame is junk, and that it is the weakest bronco frame ever. So another year frame would be better and shouldnt break.

JB
02-09-2004, 04:25 PM
I knew the rear of the 80 frame is crap, but how is the front different? I know most lift manufacturers only list their kits for 81-96 Broncos cause of the ****ty 1980 frame.

jerryg79
02-09-2004, 04:40 PM
if you have to cut that roll bar off, i might want it, i need to do some plumbing work on my house:flipoff2:

stx4wheeler
02-09-2004, 04:42 PM
i am not sure what year ford changed but on my 95 bronco and i think it is the same on your john the frame is boxed all the way to the crossmember, and i think there is even an added support where the frame meets the crossmember (i think) the front of Tates frame is just like the ones on 78-79 broncos like c channel frame. On the older ones the crossmember is a lot more beefy than on the newer TTb equiped broncos.

JB
02-09-2004, 08:32 PM
I boxed mine for the leaf spring hangars. Tate could do this. It is just a 2x4 piece of metal between the boxed areas of the frame.

BigRedFord04
02-09-2004, 09:46 PM
it has broken in 4-5 different places. and it is completely C-channel. it needs to be replaced.

in other words, STFU....i want his frame

Shaggy
02-09-2004, 09:53 PM
i have broken it 5 different times in 5 different places within 3 or so feet... bracing the broken part has just transfered the stess elsewhere... i am gonna probably pull the body off this weekend and then go from there... get a new frame, box it, do the sas& shackle flip, new front bumper, fuel injection, ect... what i am saying is that i am tired of it being gay... it is getting a makeover... it should be built a lot stronger and allow me to actually wheel and not break constantly.

robertf03
02-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
i have broken it 5 different times in 5 different places within 3 or so feet... bracing the broken part has just transfered the stess elsewhere... i am gonna probably pull the body off this weekend and then go from there... get a new frame, box it, do the sas& shackle flip, new front bumper, fuel injection, ect... what i am saying is that i am tired of it being gay... it is getting a makeover... it should be built a lot stronger and allow me to actually wheel and not break constantly.

just fix it, if you don't it will sit for at least 2 years with all that stuff you plan to do to it

and when your done you will still have a fullsize with way too much time and money in it.

get a jeep, or at least use a EB frame and body. something wheelable.

BigRedFord04
02-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by robertf03
just fix it, if you don't it will sit for at least 2 years with all that stuff you plan to do to it

and when your done you will still have a fullsize with way too much time and money in it.

get a jeep, or at least use a EB frame and body. something wheelable.
not everyone's like you flem...it'll get done.

he already has too much time and money in it.

jeeps are :rainbow:

Graystroke
02-09-2004, 10:36 PM
I would build some fiberglass molds from the old frame and then cast a new one in plastic. This way the new frame will have a high modulous of elasticity and won't crack.

BMFScout
02-09-2004, 11:08 PM
i would build it out of all those liquor bottles he has been trying to get rid of, then drive it to Michigan, get the deposit money, then go buy a Zooki with all the loot, then make it one "bad dood" as Kopecky would say.

eight
02-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Yep.

$500 samurai.
SOA on junkyard springs
Stretch
Toyota axles with longfields
6:1 t-case
And to use some of your old bronco parts, the 35s should work.

=One bad sumbitch.

Yall are lucky I broke the samurai I test drove, cause I'd be whipping it up on all of yall. :flipoff2:

Shaggy
02-10-2004, 12:30 AM
dont try to convince me to get something else... that is for after college... i am just working on the bronco for now... duche

eight
02-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Would be easier....

Shaggy
02-10-2004, 12:38 AM
but i like the heavy summbitch right now... she is still purty... just has some flaws

Fredo
02-10-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by fbronco86
If you still want some thing bigger than a heep get a scout

Man, good luck on that one....we know the frames hold up well....****, that's the only part of the damn thing that doesn't rust away.

This whole frame cracking thing reminds me of a quote I heard a while back.

"The bronco is a cheap chinese immitation of a Scout"

bburris
02-10-2004, 01:33 AM
... that is for after college... i am just working on the bronco for now... duche

so you're going to waste a semester or more trying to kludge two Bronco ****boxes together instead of just buying something cheap that you can wheel right now...

Shaggy
02-10-2004, 12:47 PM
yall are waisting your time telling me to get something else... i am not going to.... this is the bottom line damnit

Doug Krebs
02-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Full sizes blow... I had mine in college because i needed something practical(haha) and at the time i thought jeeps were gay. I still think jeeps are gay, but if i would have done it again I might have got a Toyota truck.

Anyways... You have another car you are using, the bronco isn't your main vehicle. You won't be happy with it in a year after you spend all this money and time. Get something else and cut your losses.

bburris
02-10-2004, 01:19 PM
You can't sell the body to someone with another rusted out piece?

Doug Krebs
02-10-2004, 01:21 PM
I was thinking... a nissan patrol would be pretty sweet! :flipoff2:

jerryg79
02-10-2004, 01:22 PM
yall are waisting your time telling me to get something else... i am not going to.... this is the bottom line damnit

I'd have to side with tate on this one. Eventhough fullsizes arent the best for trails, he already said he doesnt want to change. Instead of reitterating that fact over and over, why dont yall help him out and anything pertinent to his frame swap. This way, the next time the bronco is on the trail, the most you will have to do is strap him out of a jam cause his POS is too big for the trail, not drag his ass across half of las cruces, or spend 3 hrs waiting for his frame to get welded back up!

redcagepatrol
02-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Doug Krebs
I was thinking... a nissan patrol would be pretty sweet! :flipoff2:

Get your own unique POS...

AgDieseler
02-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Patching the frame with 1/8" steel might be a good idea. Scott already mentioned it, but it really does make a great deal of sense if the frame keeps breaking in the same spot.

Chevy guys break their frames at the steering box, and after doing a weld-on repair kit, they never have any more problems. That may be just the ticket for you. The plus side is that it's cheaper and takes less time. You would be back up and wheeling a lot sooner. The only downside is that it wouldn't work if you are cracking the frame is multiple places.

I'm all for fixing what you've got. As a student, it makes the most sense.

davido
02-10-2004, 05:34 PM
big project + student budget = bad idea

I should have bought a Zuki 3 years ago and wheeled the piss out of it while I was building the Cruiser. This is not what I would recommend for you but it seems like a good idea for me in retrospect. I'd just do a break fix for now. Get a little bit of really experienced help on the frame repair and be done with it for a while. If you break it a couple more times over the next two years, who cares. When you graduate, everything will be different. I'd be willing to bet that what you want now is not what you'll want after you're out of school for 3 - 6 months.

If you really think you can fix it and not miss a trip, then take a shot. But if it were me, I'd take the trips and good times over reliability any day. Hell, mine is still that way. Lots of gremlins, but I've taken trips when I had a chance. I've missed out on a lot of good times over the years because I took on more with that project than I was really committed to doing. It became less of a priority every day. On the other hand, Scott knocked out a similar project in short order.

Some of it is in how much of a priority it is for you, but bottom line on all big projects is that they will snowball. The little things never make it into the pre-planning or if they do, they're underestimated, just continue to add up until it's a big thing. It always takes longer and costs more than you could ever think from the outside looking in. More time. More money. And from what I've seen so far, one is always going to be at a premium. Just when you get one licked, the other sneaks up on you.

Wheel the piss outta what you have and be happy for the memories. When it breaks, fix it and wheel it some more. It's hard to go wrong with such a simple plan. You're in college. Just have fun with what you have at your fingertips.

PS - I still need an 8274. :)

~dso

Graystroke
02-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by davido

PS - I still need an 8274. :)

~dso

For what the Duramax?
:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

fbronco86
02-10-2004, 06:51 PM
tate and jbrown if you want to see how my frame is come over and look at it. Mine has never broken maybe its a little different up in the front.

BigRedFord04
02-11-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by AgDieseler
Patching the frame with 1/8" steel might be a good idea. Scott already mentioned it, but it really does make a great deal of sense if the frame keeps breaking in the same spot.

i have broken it 5 different times in 5 different places within 3 or so feet... bracing the broken part has just transfered the stess elsewhere...
:rolleyes:

we're probably going to split the cost of the frame if he gets another one anyway. i want his frame for a project in the making. i can box it in completely

eight
02-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Just get one of these (http://www.ga-atm.com/index.htm).

http://www.ga-atm.com/images/pic_lowSSRV400.jpg

Doug Krebs
02-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by eight
Just get one of these (http://www.ga-atm.com/index.htm).

http://www.ga-atm.com/images/pic_lowSSRV400.jpg

what the **** is that? It looks like a walk around fishing boat with a center console.

JB
02-11-2004, 05:31 PM
tate and jbrown if you want to see how my frame is come over and look at it. Mine has never broken maybe its a little different up in the front.

we have the same frames, both 86s

Doug Krebs
02-11-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by JBrown89

Yes, but mikes bronco was orginally a border patrol vehicle. This means it was strengthend by chasign down illegals!

fbronco86
02-11-2004, 07:28 PM

oh ok for some reason i was thinking you had an 80 sorry. I would like to see your pos sometime and check on my tires haha

eight
02-11-2004, 07:48 PM
what the **** is that? It looks like a walk around fishing boat with a center console.

That is an SSRV. It has 12" coil overs, 35" claws, 4 wheel steer, limited slips, and a 1.6 liter honda motor.

JB
02-11-2004, 08:10 PM
oh ok for some reason i was thinking you had an 80 sorry. I would like to see your pos sometime and check on my tires haha

For some reason, the wheels do not fit over the hubs on my 10.25 :confused:
I found a set of 35s w/ 16.5 last week, so if you need them back, just let me know. Thanks alot.

Cajun
02-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by davido
big project + student budget = bad idea

...but bottom line on all big projects is that they will snowball. The little things never make it into the pre-planning or if they do, they're underestimated, just continue to add up until it's a big thing. It always takes longer and costs more than you could ever think from the outside looking in. More time. More money. And from what I've seen so far, one is always going to be at a premium. Just when you get one licked, the other sneaks up on you...

~dso

Well said!

fbronco86
02-16-2004, 04:29 PM
For some reason, the wheels do not fit over the hubs on my 10.25 :confused:
I found a set of 35s w/ 16.5 last week, so if you need them back, just let me know. Thanks alot.

thats sweet. they fit on my dana 60. oh well i will take them back some time i am in no big hurry.

eight
02-16-2004, 05:37 PM
How bout we see what jeep looks like on 37s

Chadnutz
02-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Bearings on a 10.25 are bigger than all the other sissy axles.

BigRedFord04
02-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Chadnutz
Bearings on a 10.25 are bigger than all the other sissy axles.
yeah, too bad they're notorious for bad lubrication to the driver's side bearings because of the crown in the road....low oil=high friction=high heat=BOOM!!

BigRedFord04
02-17-2004, 12:43 PM
To put this thread a little more on topic....the pics from what we started the other nite are up. most everything is disconnected under the hood w/ the exception of the PS lines and the sensors for two aftermkt gauges. Tub should come off next weekend.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/lonestar/album182

jerryg79
02-17-2004, 01:03 PM
ahh just like the mexis down at vato zone installing headers in the parking lot

stx4wheeler
02-17-2004, 01:04 PM
good work ladies. I bet tate is getting excited about riping out all the TTB bull****.:cheers:

eight
02-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Got new frame allready?

Shaggy
02-17-2004, 02:06 PM
no... got sidetracked... getting a 93 f350 for cheep... i gonna have some real axles now... still need a frame though... there is still one at gordons

Shaggy
02-17-2004, 06:38 PM
found one at gordons for $100 so gonna go get it sometime nextweek when my budget isnt drained

Shaggy
02-17-2004, 10:08 PM
took all the bolts out and unhooked all wireing... ended up taking front clip off to make it easier... we lifted the tub and moved it back a couple inches and will pull it off later... but none the less good progress... it looks like we are making better than nutz time... ill have the frame and axles soon and it will make it to TCC2... i am happy

eight
02-17-2004, 11:52 PM
we are making better than nutz time... ill have the frame and axles soon and it will make it to TCC2... i am happy

Must save this for **** talking later incase he turns out like nutz

JB
02-18-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
yeah, too bad they're notorious for bad lubrication to the driver's side bearings because of the crown in the road....low oil=high friction=high heat=BOOM!!

I have never heard of this.

Still IMO a much better option than the weaker rear 60. Are not 60 rear shafts smaller than the 8.8 shafts?

bburris
02-18-2004, 01:05 AM
no... got sidetracked... getting a 93 f350 for cheep... i gonna have some real axles now...

4x4?

eight
02-18-2004, 01:17 AM
I have never heard of this.

Still IMO a much better option than the weaker rear 60. Are not 60 rear shafts smaller than the 8.8 shafts?

I never heard of it either. And I know many of these axles with 200K with no problems. 2 of em have over 350K and would be lucky if the fluid was ever changed, or even checked.

10.25 got 1.5" 35 spline shafts. Most D60 got 1.3" 30 spline shafts. Mike's is smaller.

bburris
02-18-2004, 01:22 AM
Most D60 got 1.3" 30 spline shafts.

My 8.8 shafts are 1.32" and 31 spline. :flipoff2: Oh wait. No one gives a ****.

Is a personal attack on yourself legal? I'm such a dumbass.

eight
02-18-2004, 01:46 AM
We need a pulloff to determine who's is stronger then. :D

bburris
02-18-2004, 01:48 AM
Well, your if you disconnect a couple wires off your 258 you may be producing the whopping 75 or so HP that I am...:flipoff2:

eight
02-18-2004, 01:50 AM
I'm only running on 5 now so we're probably about even on motors. And I've driven a TJ with a 2.5, its a fierce little motor once it hits the red line.

bburris
02-18-2004, 01:54 AM
Spinning 36s and spitting power through a transmission that could go any day no isn't my idea of fierce.:D

eight
02-18-2004, 01:57 AM
I also spin 36s and your transmission can't be more screwed up than mine. It's got a welded up busted case, worn out synchros, jumps out of gear, and makes more noise than the tires. And it's a 4 cylinder transmission anyway. We're still even except for that axle.

bburris
02-18-2004, 01:59 AM
Let's roll...

on dirt...

I get a head start.:flipoff2:

eight
02-18-2004, 02:05 AM
Changin the rules there? OK, dirts sounds nicer to mee too. And you can only have a running start if we use your tow strap.

bburris
02-18-2004, 02:07 AM
hell, the Alto mud pits might make things more interesting...make it a tug-of-war into some deep mud hole:D

and I'll bring my old strap:flipoff2:

eight
02-18-2004, 02:10 AM
Now that's just cheating, I don't got no big mudder tires. How about watered pavement?

bburris
02-18-2004, 02:11 AM
No pavement...I still have a D30. Is there any dirt in Katemcy?

eight
02-18-2004, 02:14 AM
So do I. And who said we were locking hubs, this is about rear axles. Yes there's dirt in katemcy.

bburris
02-18-2004, 02:16 AM
It's so nice that we've taken this perfectly boring tech post and reduced it to this drivel...:flipoff2:

eight
02-18-2004, 02:17 AM
Yep, much more fun. I wanted to see how off topic it could get. Gots this ****, and the atv thing, probablt even a little nutz bashing.

bburris
02-18-2004, 02:23 AM
probablt even a little nutz bashing.

I almost forgot. I'll bet a beer at the next meeting I attend that Nutz will finish before Tate gets his body swap done and the Bronco driving safely again.

eight
02-18-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by bburris
I almost forgot. I'll bet a beer at the next meeting I attend that Nutz will finish before Tate gets his body swap done and the Bronco driving safely again.

I will go to sleep and contemplate this.

Fredo
02-18-2004, 02:30 AM

I guess you forgot about the 27 page thread about nutz's ****pile. He's still not done remember?

bburris
02-18-2004, 02:50 AM
I'm banking on Tate getting really drunk and forgetting about the whole thing in less than a month.:flipoff2:

uglyota
02-18-2004, 10:25 AM
...and the Bronco driving safely again.
Is he swapping in a new driver, too?

Shaggy
02-18-2004, 05:38 PM
the f350 is a 4x4, i dont know if nutz will finish before me seeing that he is one good weekend away from being done... and damnit the bronco will never be safe... i will be the driver grrr:flipoff2: and BTW i hardly drink anymore duche

bburris
02-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Did you just get the find of the year? $100 for an F350 with both axles???

JB
02-18-2004, 07:22 PM
yeah, pics? My axles are from a 93 as well.

stx4wheeler
02-18-2004, 07:52 PM
i think he meant 100 bucks for the new frame for his bronco at gordons.

Shaggy
02-18-2004, 09:33 PM
$1500 for the f350

BigRedFord04
02-18-2004, 11:57 PM
i'm not sure on the size of the D60 shafts, i just kinda assumed that they were bigger than an 8.8". either way, it doesnt really matter because you're trying to compare and semi-float and a full float axle. having the weight distributed onto a spindle instead of directly onto the shaft via a bearing makes all the difference in the world as to how much stress the shaft can take. all the stress on the full float axle comes from the drivetrain. the stress on the semi-float comes from the drivetrain and 5-6000lbs riding on it as well.

now, back on topic....the latest pics w/o the front clip are uploading right now. we're going to need some help this weekend (sat. afternoon) taking the tub off. we figure 6-8 people total should be able to do it no problem. any volunteers? there's beer in it for you. just lemme know to call you saturday.

bburris
02-19-2004, 12:01 AM
now, back on topic....

whoa whoa whoa there chief...there's no need for that kind of gibberish

Chadnutz
02-19-2004, 12:49 AM
So when do one of yall plan on helping me with the gooseneck hitch and picking up the F-350?

jerryg79
02-19-2004, 12:58 AM
i'll help im worth a beer or two....may have to help lissa move a little though....let me know some time frames and i'll work around it

BigRedFord04
02-19-2004, 01:37 AM
i'm not sure if i have to work or not, if not, we're going to go get the other frame saturday....gordon's may be open 'til 3. i'd get off at noon, go get the frame, then come back and pull the cab. then we'll probably have to help nutz put his hitch on, so...saturday evening? i'll refill the keg and it could turn into a party.

stx4wheeler
02-19-2004, 02:13 AM
i'm down to help.

JB
02-19-2004, 03:42 AM
Ill be mardi gras'ing it up in galveston:flipoff2:

Chadnutz
02-19-2004, 09:13 AM
So when are you wanting to get the wantan?

BigRedFord04
02-19-2004, 11:49 AM
Sunday, we're gonna help w/ the hitch tomorrow night after i get off work.

JB
02-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Speaking of D60s, didnt Doug K's F250 have a swapped in D60? I drove by it the other day and it looked like TTB under there??

Is this F350 you are getting complete? What engine and tranny does it have?

bburris
02-19-2004, 07:32 PM
No, I think Doug's had a couple D60s in the past that he could have swapped in, but opted to sell them for a profit and keep his TTB... He's been planning to and is now selling the truck now so I don't think he's too worried about it.

Shaggy
02-20-2004, 02:57 PM
its complete with a blown 7.3

Doug Krebs
02-20-2004, 03:14 PM
its complete with a blown 7.3

Keep david away from it!! He might take the turbo!:flipoff2: Sorry couldn't resist!

Shaggy
02-20-2004, 03:35 PM
mike has dibbs on the turbo if it has one... although david has already PMed me about the motor too.... i am selling everything off it 'cept the axles... they are all i want off it... the rest is up for grabs... we will have it here sunday and then the parting out of it can start

Doug Krebs
02-20-2004, 03:40 PM
If the body and frame is in good shape, I might be interested in it. I know mike mentioned it too. He has first dibs on it.

Shaggy
02-20-2004, 03:44 PM
the guy said the body is clean but i havent seen it yet

jerryg79
02-20-2004, 03:56 PM
If the body and frame is in good shape, I might be interested in it. I know mike mentioned it too. He has first dibs on it.

jesus christ krebs what do you want it for?

oh and oliver, mike wants and NEEDS the motor so let's keep it clean this time!!!

Doug Krebs
02-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Snatch Adams
jesus christ krebs what do you want it for?

oh and oliver, mike wants and NEEDS the motor so let's keep it clean this time!!!

I'm starting a Junk Yard!!!!

robertf03
02-20-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm starting a Junk Yard!!!!

You have any openings? I can mumble some spanish and take dollars

your not swapping that frame for your daily driver are you?

Doug Krebs
02-20-2004, 04:36 PM
You have any openings? I can mumble some spanish and take dollars

your not swapping that frame for your daily driver are you?

Oh **** no, I'm not touching that thing other than upkeep. It will remain stock. I will test it's towing abilities this weekend. Going to go pick up a rolling blazer chassis, with a bunch of other crap in copperas cove, tx. I know where this is because Hensel took us through there to get to katemcy the first time!!!:flipoff2:

JB
02-20-2004, 05:00 PM
what tranny?

Doug Krebs
02-20-2004, 05:08 PM
what tranny?

Probably a ZF, but it's hooked to a 7.3 so it wouldn't hook to anything but a 7.3. As I understand the bellhousing's do not come off ZF's.

Shaggy
02-20-2004, 06:50 PM
turns out i didnt need 8 million people... i got most of it off without anyones help... then jayson came home and helped me with the rest

Shaggy
02-20-2004, 06:51 PM
pic

Shaggy
02-20-2004, 06:52 PM

Shaggy
02-20-2004, 06:53 PM
you can see the highlifts laying around... i used 2 highlifts buncha cenderblocks and a cherry picker... it took jayson standing on the cherry picker to hold it from lifting and falling forward

stx4wheeler
02-20-2004, 07:06 PM
when you gonna pick up the new frame? you gonan do it after stripping the F 350. good luck getting all together

uglyota
02-20-2004, 07:49 PM
sweet...another TAMOR Superfund site in progress

just kidding looks good...it's all downhill from here!

AgDieseler
02-20-2004, 08:41 PM
It won't have a factory turbo. I might be getting the motor for a friend of mine - actually, it's Paul Beidelman. He's wheeled with us a number of times in Clayton.

jerryg79
02-20-2004, 10:23 PM
why wont it have a factory turbo, i thought some 93's did.

fbronco86
02-20-2004, 10:38 PM
on 93's and 94's there was an option for a turbo! thanks for your input though

AgDieseler
02-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Ah ha! I'll make a note.

BigRedFord04
02-21-2004, 12:13 PM
transmission is an automatic, so its prolly E4OD...or some crap. if it were a ZF i'd take dibs on the guts, someone else can have the case.

Shaggy
02-21-2004, 05:28 PM
got the frame today... nutz went to pick up the truck... should have it back here tomorrow... my driveway is now full and there technically is only one vehicle there... gotta do some moving around so the neighbors dont call the po po

Graystroke
02-21-2004, 09:02 PM
I think you should put a "Sanford and Son" sign out front. Post some pics of the mess.:D

BigRedFord04
02-21-2004, 10:18 PM
`bout to start drinkin and wrenchin'. gonna need help movin' **** around so i'm gonna start calling you bitches. we've got a fresh keg of keystone to cover the expenses invested into lifting.

oh yeah....:flipoff2:

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album182/DSC00696.sized.jpg

rest of the pics here...newer ones start on page 3.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/lonestar/album182

BigRedFord04
02-21-2004, 10:23 PM
We made out like banshees there today. Tate paid $108.25 for the frame, and with every frame purchase there you get a pair of 10.25" shafts, and a gauge cluster from a `62 F100 FREE!!.....well....at least you do if they let you drive your truck to the back to work. :flipoff2: props to Frick for spotting the shafts, even if he did think it was a rear 60 :rolleyes:

they also had this sitting back there....looked pretty complete....if any of you toyota freaks are interested.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album182/DSC00694.sized.jpg

BigRedFord04
02-22-2004, 07:44 AM
here's the progress of tonite...thanks to brandon, kevin, ben, steve, my friend david from work. we got the tub moved off the driveway into the grass. placed the fenders, hood, and top about where they'd go if it were complete and put the tarp over it. got tate's new frame off the trailer, with only minor incident involving kevin, an engine hoist and a broken neckalce. moved the chassis into the garage where we removed the headers and exhaust, then the engine, trans, and xfer case, and trans crossmember. then we drank. tate passed out in a chair. going to bed now. here's a picture.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album182/DSC00729.sized.jpg

Shaggy
02-22-2004, 12:56 PM
some more pics

Shaggy
02-22-2004, 12:57 PM
and another

Shaggy
02-22-2004, 12:58 PM
notha

Shaggy
02-22-2004, 12:59 PM
this is our kick ass engine stand... nice hu?

JB
02-22-2004, 07:46 PM
I need the gas tank and gas tank skid. You know if it is a 33 gallon? Rusty?

BigRedFord04
02-22-2004, 08:47 PM
we have a few gas tanks now, two 33 gallon and the ones on the new F350. gotta figure out that situation. nutz wants a bigger tank for the back of his F350, so he'll get one of the 33 gallon tanks i'd imagine. i want an 18 gallon for my project. dunno what tate's gonna do yet, talking about fuel cell.

Shaggy
02-22-2004, 08:51 PM
this is a crappy picture but this is it

Shaggy
02-22-2004, 08:52 PM
notha

BigRedFord04
02-22-2004, 08:54 PM
new F350 is here. everything is for sale. Tate's got 1st dibs and i've got 2nd, so if you want anything speak up. Transfer case is spoken for. Trans x-member might be. Axles, obviously. probably the rear gas tank. steering column. possibly the cruise control. both driveshafts. front spring hanger in the rear. engine might be also, even tho its blown. pretty much everything else is up for grabs. let one of us know if you want anything.

stx4wheeler
02-22-2004, 09:00 PM
what size tires does it have look pretty big i sent tate apm about them, if they are like a 315 or 35 i would be intersted.

Shaggy
02-22-2004, 09:01 PM
3 35's and 1 33

Chadnutz
02-22-2004, 09:42 PM
I want the rear tank and the split part of the rear driveshaft. I'll waive the tow fee for em....

stx4wheeler
02-23-2004, 01:16 AM
if the thirty fives are 15 inch rim i prolly take um

Ben97XJ
02-23-2004, 01:21 AM
They are 16.5

TXsizeK5
02-23-2004, 01:36 AM
i'll take a 35 for a spare... is it on a 16.5 with 8lug bolt pattern that would fit a d60 and 14bolt?

TXsizeK5
02-23-2004, 01:37 AM
I need the.. gas tank skid.

Me and Eric will make you one... :laughing:

eight
02-23-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by TXsizeK5
i'll take a 35 for a spare... is it on a 16.5 with 8lug bolt pattern that would fit a d60 and 14bolt?

I got you a $1 35 sittin in the back of my truck.

bburris
02-23-2004, 02:26 AM
nice front bumper...

Shaggy
02-23-2004, 02:30 AM
nice front bumper...

want it ~$200

bburris
02-23-2004, 03:00 AM
yeah, let me just hang it on my wall so I can put a couple lawn chairs on it...it'll be like stadium seating in my living room

JB
02-23-2004, 03:44 AM
Me and Eric will make you one... :laughing:

I'd much rather prefer to make a stronger one, but the guy I got to do all my welding moved outta town. If someone can help me with this, it would be great. It would be super simple, just has to be pretty close to the dimensions of the stock one.

BigRedFord04
02-23-2004, 04:22 AM
I want the rear tank and the split part of the rear driveshaft. I'll waive the tow fee for em....
nutz, we've already got you down for the tank, but we're trading. i think john brown is taking the other 33 gallon tank off the new frame. i want your 18 gallon for my project. tate is using the rear tank of the new truck for his bronco. the tires are worn to crap and i wouldnt recommend using them for anything more than spares. we've got 6, yes, count 'em 6 35x12.50x16.5"s now. all BFG KOs. we've got two gas tank skid plates now, dunno if tate's using one but i wont, i'll make my own. make tate an offer for one of 'em.

uglyota
02-23-2004, 10:45 AM
that toyody at Gordon's have a front axle? What do they charge for them?

TXsizeK5
02-23-2004, 01:09 PM
do the 35's have wheels? if so how much you want?

Kolpecki, what were you saying about the 35?

bburris
02-23-2004, 01:36 PM
want it

I do still want your HP D44 for a case of beer though.:flipoff2:

robertf03
02-23-2004, 01:45 PM
hey can you put me down for the door hinges and striker pins?

eight
02-23-2004, 06:49 PM

Kolpecki, what were you saying about the 35?

http://tamor.org/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3303

Its in the back of my Dodge.

BigRedFord04
02-23-2004, 08:56 PM
hey can you put me down for the door hinges and striker pins?
done.

TXsizeK5
02-23-2004, 10:09 PM
kolpecki... wheel included?

eight
02-24-2004, 12:02 AM
nope

Seth
02-24-2004, 12:38 AM
I'll waive the tow fee for em....

Damn - is helping with the hitch and payign for your gas not enough?? :flipoff2:

If john brown gives up that rear tank i want "second dibbs" on it - 48 gallons would be kinda cool - but expensive to fill up.

Make sure my page stays with the engine X member, window crank, vent window and 6" TTB springs.

BTW just so no one worries - some work did get done - i put a zip tie on my license plate so that it wasnt hanging by one.

Chadnutz
02-24-2004, 01:38 AM
It COSTS me 4.1 cents per mile to drive, and I'm sure this is more expensive when I'm towing.... So if I just went down to pick up the fuel I woud be paying out of my own pocket. I spent more time driving than it took to put the hitch on, and I had to buy two ratchet straps.

The tank and split part of the driveshaft are mine. muuahahaha

Seth
02-24-2004, 02:07 AM
well hell i guess gas costs me about 13-20 cents a mile now that i think about it.....

Chadnutz
02-24-2004, 02:44 AM
that does not include fuel.

10 mpg = $.1519 per mile.

JB
02-24-2004, 02:47 AM
I still need a 33 gallon, but with all the plethora of tanks you all now have, I might like to try and fit one of those flat 18 gallon ones out of either Austin's truck or the F350, if you end up still having one. It would give a ton more clearance underneath. Let me know.

Shaggy
02-24-2004, 04:59 AM
im gonna use an 18gal one so i dont think we have any extra

BigRedFord04
02-24-2004, 05:14 AM
...and i'm taking the other 18 gallon tank.

chadnutz....shaddafucup....it costs everyone to drive anywhere, you're the only :rainbow: who includes it in pricing. you got to see the rodeo and a concert out of the deal. and you'll eventually need those straps anway to tie down your mazda. you're not getting anything for free except a gas tank swap. just keep tate's gas card. :flipoff2:

Shaggy
02-24-2004, 05:23 AM
no i need that back

Chadnutz
02-24-2004, 09:05 AM
I kind of or like having it though. :flipoff2:

Shaggy
02-24-2004, 01:01 PM
damnit... i call you later to get it

Shaggy
02-24-2004, 01:10 PM
holy crap... i only have 8.5 weeks to finish this project... we havent even finished tearing it apart... screw school i wanna wheel

JB
02-24-2004, 05:36 PM
thats fine, I want to still see how you end up mounting the 18 in the Bronco, see if it is that difficult.

Shaggy
02-24-2004, 07:05 PM
it will bring it up above the frame rails i believe... then i am just gonna put a plate across the frame for a skid

JB
02-24-2004, 10:08 PM
it will bring it up above the frame rails i believe... then i am just gonna put a plate across the frame for a skid

Will the plate/skid also be the support for the tank like it is on the stock 33gallon?

Shaggy
02-25-2004, 12:39 AM
no

BigRedFord04
02-25-2004, 12:56 AM
idea for mine is just the plate on bottom for downward support, and probably zip ties and duct tape to hold it to the frame.

Shaggy
02-25-2004, 10:49 AM
rain sucks... i dont have crap to do till 5:00 and this damn rain wont let me work on the crap pile

Shaggy
02-25-2004, 02:28 PM
well looks like i am even more broke now... my dog Kingsley broke her leg bad today... it is gonna cost me a couple grand... so i doubt ill be able to come up with the money to keep progress on this project... we will see

Doug Krebs
02-25-2004, 03:32 PM
Mike's dad can take car of this problem for you. I assure you it is a much cheaper solution. The cost of a .22 bullet.

Shaggy
02-25-2004, 03:42 PM
you have no idea how not funny that is... a dog is a family member in my opinion and how would you like it if i said that about your mom or one of your brothers

Doug Krebs
02-25-2004, 03:49 PM
I pretty much meant it as a joke...

but i've always wondered what I would do in the situation. I'd have a hard time spending a couple of grand on our dog.

By the way what is actually the matter with the dog? Just it's leg is broken and it's going to cost that much? Or is it something more serious.

robertf03
02-25-2004, 03:55 PM
and then it starts....

welcome to 3 years of driveway art

Mack84
02-25-2004, 04:03 PM
tate, where are u taking her that it takes a grand to fix her leg?... i have fixed a bunch of legs b4 in surgery....ill do it for 100 bucks...

i am sorry to hear about her.. i understand when u say shes like a family member.. if u need someone to take care of her when ur busy id be more than happy to help ya out

fbronco86
02-25-2004, 04:04 PM
here is the full story about my dad shooting our cat. my cat liked to sit on top of the garge door. i guess one day it was not fast enough to move so it broke its back. So we found the cat and it was all messed up. So my dad did not wanna pay to have it put down so he took it into that backyard and shot it with the 22. And then i dug a hole for it and sang a little song for it.

aggielr
02-25-2004, 04:04 PM
and then it starts....

welcome to 3 years of driveway art

***, no ****, it started out as a couple weeks worth of work, but somehow it all goes down hill from there

Shaggy
02-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Well this is what happened: My roommate lets her in from the back yard and before he can catch her to wipe the mud off her she runs past him. She makes it to my room and on my bed. I run and push her off. She hit the ground wrong and yellped. I saw her leg and immediately picked her up so she wouldnt stand on it. Her front left leg was just hanging there all broken like. So we rush her to A&M small animal hospital. The pain must have been really bad because she pooped on me. The took her to the back and i did the whole paperwork thing. I approved the $190 to give her painkillers and x-rays and bloodwork and whatnot. A while goes by and then they show me the x-rays. She has a complete closed fracture of the radius and the ulna and it is moderately displaced. The have to brace it for now so that it doesn't pierce the skin. If that were to happen it would be way worse. So she tells me that they have to do "plating", which is putting a piece of metal in her leg to put back the two bones that are broke. This costs from $1500-2000. I was like damn and said there was no way i could pay that. I asked about casting and she went back to the dr and asked. He said that casting might work but with all the checkups and whatnot that it would only be slightly less and the chances of her being normal again were not very high. So i asked about anyother options. They tried to sell me on amputation and i said hell no, and possibly just giving her up. They actually think i would just give up my dog so that some bastard with money could just come in and adopt her and look like a hero. So i called my other vet and asked for a price and they said they had to get ahold of the sergon but it would take like 3 or more hours. I have yet to hear from them. I just found out that the cost estimate for the surgery is before the student 20% discount so that is much better. needless to say i am the king of bad luck and unfortunatly this time my pain got spread onto my dog.

Mack84
02-25-2004, 04:42 PM
tate amputation is not a bad idea. she is a puppy and it would be odd at first but she would do fine. i had a 3 legged boxer and it was cool having a 3 legged dog. we called her tripod...

bburris
02-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Do not amputate if you can help it. Yeah it's funny to other people, but you love your dog and it's not going to be funny to remember what happened every day you look at her for the next 10 years.

When Dana broke her leg I panicked, but I calmed her down and when she calmed down I was a little better. I pretty much sat all night with her in my lap until the next morning when I took her to College Hills Animal Hosp. It's the vet on Dominik next to Gumby's and Blue Baker. The vet there is awesome and they did great work on Dana. They set her fracture, put her in a cast and she was back to normal in ~2 months. The big bone in her front leg was broken from top to bottom in a diagonal line (hard to describe, but this sounds like what Kingsley has) and the other bone was not where it was supposed to be. The vet got her back together without doing anything invasive and she can chase cattle just like she used to.

The vet I talked to at College Hills actually went through the trouble of talking to the vet that my family takes all of our other animals to in Beeville (an old Ag, 197? I believe) and discussed every option. Putting a rod in a dog's leg is extremely invasive and they explained that it would do more bad than good in the long run because it takes more for a dog's system to accept something like that than it does for a human's. This is especially worsened by the fact that a dog can't say when it hurts inside and you can't catch a problem until it's obvious and probably too late.

OK, enough typing. Go to College Hills and tell them a couple of friends recommended them (RJ and Ash actually recommended them to me) and ask if they can take a look at Kingsley. Act dumb, because what I just said may not relate to Kingsley's fracture at all. You might get the x-rays from A&M sent over or something so you won't have to pay for that again. See what they can do and go from there.

I think the total that I spent on Dana was ~$500, which includes all the follow ups and every time they had to redo her cast because she would chew it off, and the time I had to buy a doggie satellite thing to prevent her from chewing it off, and the time I got another one because she chewed the first one up then chewed the cast off again.

Yes my dog is psycho.
http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/Dana/grrrr.sized.jpg

Shaggy
02-25-2004, 05:12 PM
im transfering her to aggieland animal clinic that she usually goes to... they are not going to do the plating but something with pins... it is safer and will work better

Shaggy
02-27-2004, 03:47 PM
well Kingsley is home and fine now... i am broke and need to do some wrenchin'... please come by and give me a hand... i am starting now

Shaggy
02-29-2004, 02:51 PM
we started a rear axle swap with doug k's ford friday and got both of them out... we need to get the one out of my truck back in dougs so it can go to the dealership and he can get his new truck... we did this because he sold his truck and it had a detroit in it and he is letting me swap it in for cheap... it better stop raining soon or this is not going to be any fun

Shaggy
03-02-2004, 02:33 PM
doug's truck is back together and back on the road... i am going to sandblast my new frame sometime this week and do other stuff to it... i need money really bad so those of you that want stuff off my parts truck need to come up with the bank and come and get it.

Shaggy
03-02-2004, 06:54 PM
new to the shop... i was planning on getting it last wed until my dog broke her leg... but today i went up there and got it... it even came with a handy dandy tank

stinger7401
03-02-2004, 08:05 PM
thats a snazzy welder, by the way when yall bringin that back?

BigRedFord04
03-02-2004, 08:10 PM
pfft...you wish...he said we could use it however long we wanted.

bigFAWKINranger
03-03-2004, 05:01 PM
i'm confooozed about this whole thread... austin, you AND tate both helped me swap cabs on my ranger, which i am willing to bet was way more of a pain in the ass than this will be... so what questions do you have really?
i fail to see the need for this thread other than giving gay tate a chance to talk about his dog... btw- sorry to hear about your dog being hurt... remember llano when i kept throwing black cats near your tent and scaring the chit out of her? that was fukkin funny as hell. :flipoff2:

aggielr
03-03-2004, 05:51 PM
is that thing loud as ****?

JB
03-03-2004, 05:58 PM
I have one just like it, but Husky brand. Its loud.

Shaggy
03-03-2004, 09:26 PM
its loud but like i care

Shaggy
03-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Last night I torched off the coil hoops... i am going to leafspring it

Shaggy
03-04-2004, 09:05 PM
cleaned so i have room to sandblast... want to start but TSC was out of sand so i gotta wait till tomorrow

robertf03
03-04-2004, 09:25 PM
try home depot or lowes for sand

Shaggy
03-04-2004, 09:26 PM
alright ill go do that

Chadnutz
03-04-2004, 09:59 PM
That compressor is also going to be working its ass off to keep up with the sand blaster. I have a 65 gallon at work and it runs non stop trying to keep up with a small parts blaster...

You might hit it up with a wire brush on the Milwaukee in the spots you can get to.

StevenAg03
03-04-2004, 10:31 PM
your gonna sand blast it in the garage?

Shaggy
03-04-2004, 11:01 PM
lowe's and home depot dont carry sandblasting sand... the air compressor will work fine for this little sandblaster that i have here although it will probably run the whole time... and i am not sure if i am gonna do it in the garage or not yet... i was planning on doing it outside but the weather has been yucky

davido
03-04-2004, 11:03 PM
I have three bags in my garage. You come get them, they're yours.

Shaggy
03-04-2004, 11:05 PM
awsome... im on my way

Chadnutz
03-04-2004, 11:40 PM
I have a sifter at work that I used to filter out the big pebbles from the sand I bought at Lowe's. Works fine now, but had to be sifted.

eight
03-04-2004, 11:54 PM
I just put a screen over a bucket. But my sand comes straight from the source.

Mack84
03-05-2004, 12:09 AM
tate,
i see this transexual on campus sometimes and his/her boobies look like the boobies in your avatar..... kinda shabby

Shaggy
03-05-2004, 12:43 AM
no that is my ex... she goes to that other texas school... she doent have very big boobies but she is squeezed into a little girl britney spears top

uglyota
03-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Shepler's on Graham Rd. is the place for blasting sand. $5/100lbs.
Get new sand and don't bother sifting or sweeping and saving it...it doesn't hit as hard the second time around anyway

Don't do that in your garage either...you'll be washing sand out of all your crevices for a week as it is.

Wanna blast some stuff for me while you're at it?

Chadnutz
03-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Another thing to think about is that if you do it in the garage you won't be able to breathe without a hood that is ventilated.

uglyota
03-05-2004, 05:29 PM
inside, outside, windy, ventilated...it doesn't matter

I cough up nasty phlegm for 2 days everytime I blast.

Shaggy
03-05-2004, 08:26 PM
i sandblasted for a company for two years... i know the rules to the traid... i have a hood... i wasnt planning on reusing sand... it is cheap and works best the first time... i did do it in the garage though... it made a mess... but i dont care... my air compressor only allowed me to work in like 2-3 min intrevals... but i made some progress... got the whole thing "brush blasted"... it is good enough to paint on but i am gonna blast it some more so that it is better... i had to stop because i noticed that my dog some how pulled her cast off so i had to go to the vet and get that fixed... now i think i am just gonna screw with other crap... dont wanna piss the neighbors off with the loud ass compressor.... and yes it is damn loud... didnt notice till it was running fer an hour and my ears were ringing

eight
03-05-2004, 08:55 PM
What you gonna paint the frame with? I think when I pull mine apart in 17 years (major body work done at 20 year intervals) I'm gonna use rubber undercoating.

Shaggy
03-05-2004, 10:00 PM
not sure yet... i looked around a little yesterday but didnt make any decisions... it isnt quite ready for paint yet anyways

uglyota
03-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Dunno if it's true or how much more it would cost, but I've heard people swear that the POR-15 stuff actually strengthens your frame.

Shaggy
03-09-2004, 05:36 PM
tell me a little more about this substance if it isnt a joke... i have not heard of it and wanna know a little more soon... i have several tests this week so i cant start working on the bronco till friday afternoon but after that i got one hell of a list of things i need to accomplish in the next week

Shaggy
03-09-2004, 05:41 PM
alright i found this website on it... i dont have time to read up on it right now but will do later... looks a little expensive but i think with a little more research that it might be a good option

http://www.por15.com/

uglyota
03-09-2004, 05:45 PM
POR-15 (http://www.por15.com/faq.asp)
Eastwood Company's Version (http://eastwood.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=16070+ZP&I1.x=36&I1.y=26)
Pirate Search (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=1356237&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

Graystroke
03-09-2004, 06:05 PM
here's another product that I saw a couple of weeks ago at Decatur Swap Meet.

www.stoprust.net

Shaggy
03-12-2004, 05:03 PM
alright it starts... the spring break buildup... come one come all and give me a damn hand... got free beer

Shaggy
03-12-2004, 07:55 PM
as she sits now.... 6 weeks and counting

robertf03
03-12-2004, 10:19 PM
looks like you still have **** where the power steering line leaks :flipoff2:

Shaggy
03-13-2004, 12:30 AM
well i made a little progress... i got the rear 3rd of the frame painted up with a good couple coats of primer and bling bling blue... and then proceded to do the shackle flip and mount the springs... i am gonna clear coat the whole frame once i am done with it to hold the paint on there.... i am pretty tired so i am hitting the sack early tonight

Shaggy
03-13-2004, 12:47 AM
**** it... i am tired as **** but i am gonna still stay up a bit longer... anyone is welcome to come by... even after i puss out austin will be up... we are off raintree... 5 street on right yorktown... it is at the dip in the road

BigRedFord04
03-14-2004, 01:49 AM
we've been workin' kinda half-assed all day but made some progress. tate got his frame partially painted, then moved the rear axle under it and put the leaves on w/ shackle flip. when we got to that point I noticed one pretty cool thing about Ford c-channel frames....they flex like mad....its no wonder his other one kept breaking.

www.tamor.org/Videos/Bronco Frame Flex.MPG

he also started to waiver on the selected paint color of the frame, so after he went to bed I finished it off so he wouldnt have to think twice about it. :D

BLING!

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album182/DSC00825.sized.jpg

oh yeah, and thank you to Grayson for stopping by to help and drink our beer.

TXsizeK5
03-14-2004, 03:29 AM
wtf were you using the flex the frame in that video clip?

Fredo
03-14-2004, 03:57 AM
when we got to that point I noticed one pretty cool thing about Ford c-channel frames....they flex like mad....its no wonder his other one kept breaking.

Holy Sh*t!!! That's supposed to be an UPGRADE? :laughing:

Graystroke
03-14-2004, 12:17 PM
You could use one leg and cause it to flex! Tate, being all a buck fifty soaking wet could get it to flex fairly well! As a matter of fact, I think that's who is flexing the frame in the pics! It's outstanding!

I told tate he should box the thing as much as he could and weld all the cross members. All the cross members are riveted in. That is where a lot of the flex is comming from. I also tried to get Austin to ditch tate's old frame and just build one from scratch out of 2"X6" rectangular box.

BigRedFord04
03-14-2004, 01:39 PM
after getting the steering box off and finding this particular crack, which i'm sure was the cause of most of the problem in katemcy, i'm going to seriously check into building my own frame.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album325/DSC00820.sized.jpg

Shaggy
03-14-2004, 07:12 PM
i was only putting about 35-50 pounds of pressure into it to make itdo that... i welded up some of the seams like grayson said to... i also pulled the dana60 out of the parts truck and got a sweet ass hood

-parts truck 60 gone

Shaggy
03-14-2004, 07:13 PM
dana60 hanging from the cherry picker

Shaggy
03-14-2004, 07:15 PM
auto-dark baby yeah.... i got it and it was the first time i have ever used one... i highly suggest one... it is like it is like having sex(with a partner) for the first time... it even allowed for a much faster finish

Mack84
03-14-2004, 07:19 PM
i hope your welding skills have gotten better since last spring break:flipoff2:

Shaggy
03-14-2004, 07:58 PM
yessum they have... and i had never welded before at that point:flipoff2:

stx4wheeler
03-15-2004, 01:01 AM
hey tate how much were those cans of that blue metalic paint, i may paint the bronco that color. looking good i have having the wonderful task of working all the bugs out of my **** box since it has a new engine and had been sitting for eight months. it is falling apart , i had no idea a truck could leak in so many places, when i pulled up to my house from its maiden voyage i thought it was raining underneath my truck oh yeha sorry for the hijack.

Shaggy
03-15-2004, 09:50 AM
they were like $4... i cant remember exactly but not too bad at all.

i am about to go take some measurements and then head to the steel yard... i plan on boxing it with 3/16 flat bar and then using 2x4 box to give the front more structure. i also have to figure out a way to cut the 3/16 to match the frame. it would be hella easy with a plazma cutter but i dont have the bank for one of those. i think i am just gonna have to use hella cut-off wheels

eight
03-15-2004, 11:03 AM
I thought you had a torch? That's just as easy as a plasma. Just takes a little longer and you need to clean up with a grinder. About the only thing the plasma in my shop is used for is cutting thin 4x8 sheets into strips.

robertf03
03-15-2004, 07:15 PM
after getting the steering box off and finding this particular crack, which i'm sure was the cause of most of the problem in katemcy, i'm going to seriously check into building my own frame.

were all of the frame cracks around the steering box? It wouldn't surprise me since theres not really a crossmember in front besides the bumper

BigRedFord04
03-15-2004, 09:36 PM
that pretty much hit the nail on the head flem. tate went to waco w/ the frame and axles to use the plasma cutter there and box the frame. he said he added a crossmember in the front and it took like 90% of the frame flex away. he'll have to update more later.

Shaggy
03-17-2004, 11:00 AM
i went to waco to use this

Shaggy
03-17-2004, 11:02 AM
this is the welder i used... it is a stick welder but works hella better than the crackerbox welder we have here at the house

Shaggy
03-17-2004, 11:03 AM
here are some pics of the front crossmember i made

Shaggy
03-17-2004, 11:03 AM

Shaggy
03-17-2004, 11:04 AM

Shaggy
03-17-2004, 11:06 AM

Shaggy
03-17-2004, 11:08 AM
my welds sucked so Charlie our top fabricator showed me how to do it

Shaggy
03-17-2004, 11:10 AM
this is where i started to box the frame between the engine crossmember and the transmission crossmember... had to come back to cs because kingsley pulled her cast off again

redcagepatrol
03-17-2004, 11:10 AM
When are you people ever going to learn to put the tubing weld seam inside so you don't see it??? It's all in the details:flipoff2:

one more thing, is that a turbo behind the plasma cutter or a water pump?

Shaggy
03-17-2004, 11:12 AM
this isnt really related but remember my suburban... well we sold it to one of the africans that works for us... it is now lifted and has screans in it

Shaggy
03-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by redcagepatrol
one more thing, is that a turbo behind the plasma cutter or a water pump?

i dont know what that was... i dont think it is off a truck though... i think it might be something off one of the tanks... this is a fertilizer plant that i used the shop at

robertf03
03-17-2004, 11:28 AM
looks good tate. That should keep the steering box happy.

One suggestion though, I'd fish mouth those box plates up front so that there is a little give to them when the frame does inevitably flex. It'll have a little more give that way and won't start ripping apart the weld.

Shaggy
03-17-2004, 11:32 AM
im not sure what you mean by fish mouth... but the front where the two meet up are welded together... the pic is before it was finished

robertf03
03-17-2004, 12:51 PM
i mean cut a half circle out of the edge from top to bottom so the plate can twist. It probably won't twist much with the box tubing up front, but if it does it'll start to rip the corner of those welds right off of there.

Thats what happens to alot of CJ5's that box there frames that way

Shaggy
03-17-2004, 02:55 PM
i think i know what you are talking about now... i might do that... we'll see what happens.

Shaggy
03-26-2004, 06:57 PM
i finished the front spring hangers and have been fighting the rivets in the frame of the parts truck for the rear hangers. I torched the heads off really good and have beat the crap out of them but only succeded in knocking out like 2 of the 12... i think i need a bigger hammer or a bigger person to swing that hammer