PDA

View Full Version : No Fuel to the Carb....

Ingenloff
02-20-2004, 07:31 PM
...yeah, that's basically the problem...no fuel whatsoever is making it to the carb on the Beast....got new filters, changed a couple of lines, and checked the pump, so they're all in good order.....Anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be???

I'm goin on a month and a half of having it parked in the driveway...I'd like to be able to drive it again before midterms start.:confused:

uglyota
02-20-2004, 07:45 PM
I take it you found and installed that linkage you needed?
Might trace fuel lines and look for kinks/pinches
Don't know much about mechanical fuel pumps, but I would think a little air/vacuum leak could cause that problem
Um...is it switched to the right tank?:(
I might be able to help on sunday.

Ingenloff
02-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by uglyota
I take it you found and installed that linkage you needed?
Might trace fuel lines and look for kinks/pinches
Don't know much about mechanical fuel pumps, but I would think a little air/vacuum leak could cause that problem
Um...is it switched to the right tank?:(
I might be able to help on sunday.

Yeah, Junior up at Eakers gave me an old two-barrel Motorcraft that he wasn't using anymore, so that's all golden.....and yes, it is switched to the proper tank; hell, it's even three-quarters full.

If you can help out, I'd definitely appreciate it. THanks doll.

bburris
02-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Are you sure the pump is pushing the right volume and amount out? I don't know about older vehicles, but when my pump went out it would shoot fuel out, but the volume was too low to fuel the Jeep.

Graystroke
02-20-2004, 10:14 PM
you should be able to pull the line off at the carb and it should shoot it about 5 ft or so.

Ingenloff
02-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Graystroke
you should be able to pull the line off at the carb and it should shoot it about 5 ft or so.

LIke I said, no fuel whatsoever is coming out - the line is dry.

Originally posted by bburris
Are you sure the pump is pushing the right volume and amount out?

It's a new pump; it'd sure as hell better be....

Graystroke
02-21-2004, 12:56 AM
Didn't you replace the tank on that thing? You dont think the pick-up line in the tank fell off? How hard is it to check the pick-up? If its hard to check then I might sugeest a fuel can, couple of gallons of gas, and good length of rubber fuel line to narrow down if the problem is between the pump and fuel tank and pick-up. If it runs with the gas can method I would then check all the fuel lines for rust or damage (pinched) between the tank and the pump as was mentioned in another post. If they look ok then you might take the line loose at the tank and the pump and squirt in some carb cleaner and then hit the inside of the line w/ some compressed air to try and blow out any possible blockage. If the line is clear then it has to be in the tank.

Graystroke
02-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by bburris
You might try to start it with ether and see if you can get it to run with some sort of gravity feed rig like we did with el deuce.

That still won't tell her why she's not getting fuel...:rolleyes:

bburris
02-21-2004, 05:34 PM
drunk advice...deleted now:D

Ingenloff
02-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Well, Papa Smurf (as Eric quaintly nicknamed the Beast) is basically up and runnin. Just gotta accurately adjust the timing, and if anyone at the meeting can help me double check that I have the fuel-air mixture adjusted ok at the meeting that would be absolutely wonderful :D :cheers:

Eric, you're my hero!!! :)

stx4wheeler
02-22-2004, 07:17 PM
what was the problem? after all

uglyota
02-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Distributor hold-down came loose and the timing was off :eek:

At least she was able to drive a late-model car with air conditioning and fuel economy for two months, and justify a MSD 6AL, new fuel pump, fuel lines, auxiliary fuel filter, MSD wires and Titanium plugs trying to fix it ;)

Now get a new cap and rotor, Kate!

It would be a big help if one of you motorcraft carb guys (Kopecki?) could spend a few minutes at the meeting turning those little screws and getting the mix right. I'll bring my t-light and tach.

Ingenloff
02-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by uglyota
At least she was able to drive a late-model car with air conditioning and fuel economy for two months, and justify a MSD 6AL, new fuel pump, fuel lines, auxiliary fuel filter, MSD wires and Titanium plugs trying to fix it ;)

All that other stuff was needed - it'd been having ignition issues for some time, and I felt that if I was going to replace part, I may as well do the rest (my luck, if I were to replace just a couple things, they rest would all take a **** when I didnt have the means to replace, so I jsut went ahead and did it all at once.....as for driving the late model car for two months, I could have definitely done without (I hate driving that damn thing), and a/c is useless to me; that's what windows are for.........just remember to bring your nifty timing adjuster tool to the meeting -- pwease! :)