PDA

View Full Version : painting leaf springs

aggielr
02-24-2004, 11:59 PM
I'm pullin my spring packs apart, what have ya'll used that did or didn't work when painting them? I would assume regular Rustoleum or something similiar would want to crack when the leafs move. I read somewhere about graphite paint, but I don't know anything about it. Tommorow I'm going to look into getting some of that. But for now, post up any ideas.

bburris
02-25-2004, 12:03 AM
David Oliver has the most meticulous process for leaf spring rebuilding...

I just used some Rustoleum on mine after I wire wheeled the rust off them. They've been scraped on the bottoms and the top of the driver's side one has gotten diff fluid drained on it. The paint that's left still looks great though.

robertf03
02-25-2004, 12:06 AM
i used some graphite paint called slip plate from TSC

aggielr
02-25-2004, 12:29 AM
Did you use just the slip plate stuff from TSC or that on top of a paint?

robertf03
02-25-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by aggielr
Did you use just the slip plate stuff from TSC or that on top of a paint?

on 2 packs i did paint then graphite, ran out of paint so i just used graphite on the other 2 packs

BigRedFord04
02-25-2004, 04:46 AM
lemme know how much that stuff is if you get the stuff at TSC. i need to repaint the YELLOW leaf springs that came off Tate's bronco a while ago.

AgDieseler
02-25-2004, 09:35 AM
I used the EZ slide graphite paint on the underside of the leaves, and ordered new Teflon sliders from Alcan. In the time that I ran them, they worked well, and I could tell a difference from before the rebuild. The paint is $5, and worth the bragging rights alone.