PDA

View Full Version : Blazer ressurection?

Doug Krebs
03-02-2004, 01:06 PM
I've been having dumb idea's about making a nice blazer out of the 2 I have now. It wouldn't be for wheeling, but more of a daily driver. I have crazy stupid ideas for putting in a diesel for better fuel enconomy and a little better pulling power. I'm thinking about either a 4bt or a 6bt with an nv4500.

So, my girlfriend and I are planning a last minute trip to big bend. She wants to ride horses one day, etc... , but some of the cool stuff says you need a 4x4 with high clearance. Now i'm not sure how they rate there trails, the f150 could probably do it, but I think if I took the blazer on a road trip I'd see if I want to go through with all this mess of the diesel gayness.

So I have less than 2 weeks to get it ready if I decide to go. The engine, tranny, t-case, and rear axle are mechically fine. The thing I don't want to encounter in this trip are the things I've run into in the last couple trips with it. Such as the power steering falling off the motor or giving the last bump to kill the center pins by hopping a curb during the cibilo creek trip.

My list so far is:

Replace ball joints and worn out steering parts.
Check all bearings and u joints.
Change all fluids
Check all brackets on engine.
Check all center pins.

Things I'm doing for creature comfort's are:

Replacing the window seal
Fixing the AC
Adding insulation and a rubber mat

What other maintance items am I overlooking?

And yes I know i'm gay...

robertf03
03-02-2004, 01:09 PM
isn't that a new block and tbi? keep it!!!!!!!!! (just for you krebs!!!!!!!)

jerryg79
03-02-2004, 01:16 PM
have fun with big bend on spring break....that is there most packed time of year.

As for the trails, grayson has been there he may know something about them, but the guys from luis's shop went there and said it was ok.

Personally i would shoot myself if i had to ride in your blazer all the way too big bend.

as for all your ideas about diesel gayness...they are just that gayness, work on your buggy!

ps i love you!:D

Doug Krebs
03-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Snatch Adams

As for the trails, grayson has been there he may know something about them, but the guys from luis's shop went there and said it was ok.

Personally i would shoot myself if i had to ride in your blazer all the way too big bend.

I'm not going on the trails to offroad, just see more of the cool **** Blair wants to see. Old mines and crap like that.

I'm going to make it alot nicer inside. Padding/insulation and a rubber mat to keep out the noise. AC so it will be nice and cool and I'm thinking about moving the exhaust around a little so it's not so loud.

P.S. How's the exhaust?

fbronco86
03-02-2004, 02:31 PM
sound like alot of work

BMFScout
03-02-2004, 03:09 PM
your bringing down the big bucks, rent a grand cheerookee from budget or whatever and cruise in style. I am betting it will be less then you think, not to mention the gas savings. Have you ran this idea past your girlfriend yet? ****, it might take you two weeks to get the A/c Fixed if you run into a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Jerry's exhaust sounds like he is the president of his FFA!!!!!!!

Doug Krebs
03-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by fbronco86
sound like alot of work

No, it is alot of work...

Now give me some suggestions on what i've missed

Mack84
03-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by BMFScout
your bringing down the big bucks, rent a grand cheerookee from budget or whatever and cruise in style. I am betting it will be less then you think, not to mention the gas savings. Have you ran this idea past your girlfriend yet? ****, it might take you two weeks to get the A/c Fixed if you run into a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Jerry's exhaust sounds like he is the president of his FFA!!!!!!!

thats something to be proud of bc kingwood ffa rocked

AgDieseler
03-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Doug Krebs
Things I'm doing for creature comfort's are:

Replacing the window seal
Fixing the AC
Adding insulation and a rubber mat
This is never an area to skip! I was 100% happy with the way my truck was running many times, but the ghetto window motors and door locks always pissed me off.

Get good USA window motors from NAPA, and good jute padding for under the carpet. I double padded in areas like under the seats and center console. If you really want to drop the dollars, Dynamat everything. I would comprimise and just use dynamat on vertical surfaces. Jute tends not to stick without lots of adhesive. Definitely go for new weatherstripping. It's tedious, but easy to install. Those vent windows are a source of frustration since they wistle if they've even been open. I would get new rubber for that. Maybe that's what you mean by window seal.

Doing interior resto work is actually a lot of fun when you're not doing it in August. Enjoy!

eight
03-02-2004, 07:20 PM
I have a friend that goes there often. If it was dry he never had a problem getting around in a full size van. Said you did have to be careful not to get hung up though. So the F-150 should be fine as I'd think you have enough skill. Now he has a diesel jimmy on 33s and a z71 on 33s and never has a problem even if it is wet. No lockers or limited slips in either. And the jimmy gets about 21 mpg. Goes there just for camping and backpacking and hiking and ****.

I went there only once for 3 days and it rained all 3 days.

fbronco86
03-02-2004, 10:20 PM
i think renting the heep might be a good idea. but its alot of miles on a rent car they will prob charge extra for that.

jerryg79
03-02-2004, 10:47 PM
i think renting the heep might be a good idea. but its alot of miles on a rent car they will prob charge extra for that.

You'll have a hard time finding a place that will rent you a car since you're under 25. I found a few, but since I was under 25 they wanted to charge like $200-300 extra. The only place I could find was enterprise up here at the airport, cause they have some "student rate" but even with that I doubt they have 4x4 jeeps, and even if they did, what you rent and what you actually get are two different things.

You could get someone over 25 to rent one for you, I'm sure al and mark or david would be more then happy to:flipoff2:

Graystroke
03-03-2004, 12:07 AM
The trails are nothing serious out there. All you would need at the very most is something w/ all wheel drive for the sand washes. Too bad you got rid of the Astro van!:flipoff2: Your 2WD PU might be able to make it. Might put some AT's on the back. If you take the Blazer and break down out there...good luck. There is only two gas stations in the park, one in Rio Grand Village on the east side of the park, on the Mexican Border (only place for where campers can shower too) and the other is on the north end of the park between the north entrance and the turn off for the Basin. And yes, Spring Break is the most crowded part of the year and you can't make reservations either. First come, first serve for camping in the basin or for primitive camping permits in the desert.
It's a lot of fun. I went out there on my old GS, by myself, and had a blast. Met some other riders along the way. Not a bad idea to travel hrough the back country w/ another vehicle. If your **** breaks down along River Road, (~40 miles long) close to the border, don't expect it to be there when you return b/c the Mexicans will have found it by then and have stripped anything of value. I'm not joking about this etiher. Happens all the time. They come across on horse back. I'd definitely carry a gun, even though its against the law in a National Park.
I was packing the Glock in my tank bag the whole time
;).

Shaggy
03-03-2004, 09:19 AM
i havent been but back when my stepdad would go he would always take my suburban... he used to get excited and tell me about all the "wheeling" he did... i still cant wait to take him on one of our trips

Doug Krebs
03-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Graystroke
The trails are nothing serious out there. All you would need at the very most is something w/ all wheel drive for the sand washes. Too bad you got rid of the Astro van!:flipoff2: Your 2WD PU might be able to make it. Might put some AT's on the back. If you take the Blazer and break down out there...good luck. There is only two gas stations in the park, one in Rio Grand Village on the east side of the park, on the Mexican Border (only place for where campers can shower too) and the other is on the north end of the park between the north entrance and the turn off for the Basin. And yes, Spring Break is the most crowded part of the year and you can't make reservations either. First come, first serve for camping in the basin or for primitive camping permits in the desert.
It's a lot of fun. I went out there on my old GS, by myself, and had a blast. Met some other riders along the way. Not a bad idea to travel hrough the back country w/ another vehicle. If your **** breaks down along River Road, (~40 miles long) close to the border, don't expect it to be there when you return b/c the Mexicans will have found it by then and have stripped anything of value. I'm not joking about this etiher. Happens all the time. They come across on horse back. I'd definitely carry a gun, even though its against the law in a National Park.
I was packing the Glock in my tank bag the whole time
;).

Do they check what's in your vehicle? I wouldn't mind taken the shotgun... How long are these trails? How scary are the mexicans when you camp at night out there? I'm bringing the CB, so that might help a little with communication if something does happen. I'm also going to be carrying a **** load of spare parts, water, hoses, belts, etc... Unless something broke that I couldn't fix (axle falls off and breaks in half) I doubt they'll be able to move it to far either. I doubt there is anything too valuable that they could get without having another vehicle.

jerryg79
03-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Do they check what's in your vehicle? I wouldn't mind taken the shotgun... How long are these trails? How scary are the mexicans when you camp at night out there? I'm bringing the CB, so that might help a little with communication if something does happen. I'm also going to be carrying a **** load of spare parts, water, hoses, belts, etc... Unless something broke that I couldn't fix (axle falls off and breaks in half) I doubt they'll be able to move it to far either. I doubt there is anything too valuable that they could get without having another vehicle.

You can borrow my pistol if you want....

fbronco86
03-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Hey doug how about you change your fuel filter while you are at it:flipoff2:

also if you need my vaccum pump for the a/c just ask my dad. Also if you still have my torch and hose i need that stuff over spring break.

Doug Krebs
03-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Hey doug how about you change your fuel filter while you are at it:flipoff2:

also if you need my vaccum pump for the a/c just ask my dad. Also if you still have my torch and hose i need that stuff over spring break.

The hose is half mine:flipoff2: I'll give it to your dad sometime... Ron actually has a real vacuum pump now so I might try borrowing his, but I might need your gauges.

Jerry, you serious about the pistol?? I'd go buy one, but i'd like to look around a little more since I know about jack **** about guns, other than how to shoot one.

jerryg79
03-03-2004, 01:48 PM
yeah you can use it....I trust you

If you're coming into town this weekend i'll give it to you, otherwise blair can pick it up or something.

Graystroke
03-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Do they check what's in your vehicle? I wouldn't mind taken the shotgun...
No, they don't check.

How long are these trails?

River Road is 50.6 miles long. If you start on the west side at Castolon and head east towards Rio Grande Village. There's acouple of places to turn off for different routes. Black Gap Road is the roughest with some deep washouts. Nothing the Blazer shouldn't be able to handle. Big problems for something like a Honda Element :)
I would start in the east and go to Santa Elena Canyon for a hike. Then go on to Castolon to start the River Road. The first part is real fine sand w/ washouts. Then it will turn to gravel roads, then shale, back to sand, then to gravel again. Go to the Big Bend website and click on their online bookstore and you can purchase all the maps. I even have all the USGS 7.5 minute series maps from the lower area of the park. You won't need these. Just get the National Geographic Map so you can plan your route. The 3 and 5 dollar books on the park are nice too b/c they give you an overview of the route and a little history about what your looking at. Pic up the free map when you get to the park.

How scary are the mexicans when you camp at night out there? I'm bringing the CB, so that might help a little with communication if something does happen.

There are designated campsites along the roads for primitive camping. A popular one is the Marisical Mine area, people camp along here. It's an old Mercury mine. Don't picK up the rocks!

I'm also going to be carrying a **** load of spare parts, water, hoses, belts, etc... Unless something broke that I couldn't fix (axle falls off and breaks in half) I doubt they'll be able to move it to far either. I doubt there is anything too valuable that they could get without having another vehicle.

The guys I was with told me how the came up on a broke down or un attended pickup and that it was completely destroyed. They used the guys tent to carry off all his ****, used it like sack to hold everything. Then they tied a rope on the tool box in the bed and used their horses to rip it from the mounts on the bed. They said you could see the drag marks from the box heading to Mexico.

Doug Krebs
03-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Graystroke
The guys I was with told me how the came up on a broke down or un attended pickup and that it was completely destroyed. They used the guys tent to carry off all his ****, used it like sack to hold everything. Then they tied a rope on the tool box in the bed and used their horses to rip it from the mounts on the bed. They said you could see the drag marks from the box heading to Mexico.

Thats pretty sweet or not! I'm thinking about getting a USB GPS connector for the laptop I just got, do you have all the crap for the GPS? I guess like the trails and crap?

fbronco86
03-03-2004, 02:51 PM
The hose is half mine:flipoff2: I'll give it to your dad sometime... Ron actually has a real vacuum pump now so I might try borrowing his, but I might need your gauges.

Jerry, you serious about the pistol?? I'd go buy one, but i'd like to look around a little more since I know about jack **** about guns, other than how to shoot one.

it turns out that the chop saw is half mine too:flipoff2:

uglyota
03-03-2004, 02:56 PM
what GPS? I've got software.

Shouldn't this be in "General 4x4 chat"?

Doug Krebs
03-03-2004, 03:33 PM
it turns out that the chop saw is half mine too:flipoff2:

I realize this:flipoff2:

Don't make me mad, i'll come take those welds off your subframe for the 60. Then I'll give them to ron and he'll have Bill make some shims for the control arms on his mustang. Damn I'm dumb!!

Do you need the chop saw too? Let me know what you need.

Doug Krebs
03-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by uglyota
what GPS? I've got software.

Shouldn't this be in "General 4x4 chat"?

I'm going to buy one of those USB GPS things. Basically a GPS antannae plugs into your laptop.

And yeah, i'm not sure how this ended up in the off-road trips, i guess my dyslexic ass clicked the wrong link!

uglyota
03-03-2004, 03:55 PM
How much do they cost?
I like taking my gps a lot of places I definitely couldn't take my laptop, and you can get good ones for under $200 now.

Doug Krebs
03-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by uglyota
How much do they cost?
I like taking my gps a lot of places I definitely couldn't take my laptop, and you can get good ones for under $200 now.

Cost about $70 just for the antanae with not software. I know some of them you can plug into laptops, I'm not sure what i'm going to do yet... I like the idea of being able to stick the antanae on the windshield and not have to worry about pointing having the gps in my lap and not getting signal.

uglyota
03-03-2004, 05:12 PM
yeah, that is a pain. External gps antennas run around $100 and otherwise it's in the cupholder (where it may or may not get reception) or laying up on the dash (where I can't see it).
Driving along with your arm out the window trying to hold the GPS high and not drop it is also fun.

fbronco86
03-03-2004, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Doug Krebs
I realize this:flipoff2:

Don't make me mad, i'll come take those welds off your subframe for the 60. Then I'll give them to ron and he'll have Bill make some shims for the control arms on his mustang. Damn I'm dumb!!

Do you need the chop saw too? Let me know what you need. [quote]

nah i dont need the chop saw just the torch

Doug Krebs
03-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Went to O' Reilly's last night and got everything warrantied out. My normal store didn't have 2 of the wheel bearings so I had to go to the Porter O' Reilly's. Now these bearing are obviously just nasty, the race is has a groove where the bearing rode, it's discolored, and rough. Bearing's are in similar nasty condition. So the lady gets knew one's and starts to say how she can't warranty them because she can't find anything wrong with them. She was like they still spin fine!:laughing: Finnally got her to give me new bearings after telling her to feel the race, etc... I even got the other O' Reilly's to warranty the seals!

Got the new ball joints in and the knuckles back on, and cleaned up the hubs and spindles. By that time it was 11 since I got a late start.

Tonight I'll finish the front end, replace the power steering pump and start checking on the rest.

Grayson scared me with the mexican stories so I'm bring spare everything. Spare water pump, alternator, shafts, penis, vagina, etc...

Also, on the way to work I saw a Ford Crew cab diesel with a pretty sizeable gooseneck on it that was burried in the median up to its frame on 59!

jerryg79
03-05-2004, 12:35 PM

Grayson scared me with the mexican stories so I'm bring spare everything. Spare water pump, alternator, shafts, penis, vagina, etc...

If you're gonna bring a penis and a vagina you better bring some earplugs and band-aids, cause those two things in a car for an extended amount of time means fighting!

Btw Doug, last night me mike and the fish were driving around and saw one of those repo tow trucks where all the **** folds up into the bed. He was scoping some apts. by our house so we turned around to try and watch him repo a car, but I think we scared him off. Then we saw another one in the same complex "creepin' real slow" and scoping this canadian's car. I wanted to stay and watch but mike wanted to go home and drink beer. Hope everyone has their truck paid up!