PDA

View Full Version : axles

bigFAWKINranger
03-03-2004, 05:04 PM
if i can get the $$ to somebody-- probably austin, seeing as we be buds, how much ass would i need to kiss to get a 60 OR 14 bolt rear put under the ass of my ranger... and then maaaaaybe either a full width 44, or 60 front?
i KNOW 14 bolts can be found for $30 in dallas, but i'm not sure what a 44 or 60 front might cost me. how much of apain in the ass would the front swap be since i'm runnin a yj set up?

eight
03-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Some leaf spring ford front axles bolt up in yjs so there shouldn't be much work there. Getting a ford 8 lug 44 or 60 ain't gonna be very cheap.

aggielr
03-03-2004, 05:36 PM
the rear should be pretty easy, grind off the old perches, slide it under the truck, and weld new perches on w/ the pinion pointed to where you want it

the front wouldn't be too hard, since all 94 and later dodge pickups used the same style steering (not sure if others did, but i know dodge does) as a yj, just have to have longer tie rod and drag links, and welding perches on there as well, and you want to set the caster to 4-5 degree so that it steers properly

eight
03-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Why the hell would one want a 94+ dodge axle? They coil. Even the 60s are ***** little axles. And the old ford axle will bolt up.

aggielr
03-03-2004, 05:50 PM
STEERING, not the whole axle, STEERING would be easy to do, the actual swap shouldn't be hard either, considering its leaf springs

stx4wheeler
03-03-2004, 07:20 PM
would a waggie 44 axle work? it is already leaves, and those older ford front leaf sprung trucks are getting pretty hard to find. just my .02

Shaggy
03-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by stx4wheeler
would a waggie 44 axle work? it is already leaves, and those older ford front leaf sprung trucks are getting pretty hard to find. just my .02

im pretty sure he wants full width axles...

eight
03-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Nick has full width axles from a scout, maybe waggies came with them too???? :D

robertf03
03-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by bigFAWKINranger

i KNOW 14 bolts can be found for $30 in dallas, but i'm not sure what a 44 or 60 front might cost me. how much of apain in the ass would the front swap be since i'm runnin a yj set up?

Hey Adam, I've heard that dismantler and awesome now know what full floating means and are catching people at the door about to leave with $30 14 bolts and 70's and telling them, no way, 100 bucks. I think scrap steal prices are up and they can get more than 30 for it that way.

front axle would be easy as hell to do since its a YJ setup, but have fun finding a full width one. Your stuck with 70's ford 3/4 or 1 ton axles as donors.

bigFAWKINranger
03-04-2004, 12:59 PM
thanks for the input... what i'm aiming for is something in the ballpark of a 78 f-250 4wd. should have the 60 rear, and a leaf sprung HD44 that will bolt in. $$$ these days for me is not as much of a problem as it was when i was in tx... so $100 for a ff 14bolt isn't a problem... but i would HOPE to locate that front axle for under $350.
scout axles won't work, my ford is a driver side drop. and waggy axles would, but i want full width and prefer 8 lug at this point. i'd pay for the axles, AND allow somebody to use my truck for RESPONSIBLE trail use in exchange for doing the work while i'm away. seems fair to me... i wish i had the time to do it, but even if i brought it to florida, there's a chance i might go to cali next and i'd have to leave it here, fly there, find a long weekend, fly back here illegally, and drive to cali. its easiest to leave it in tx, gets some mods done, and wait a few months til my permanent duty station, and then drive from tx to whereever.

bigFAWKINranger
03-04-2004, 01:01 PM
ps--- i would settle for full width 44 and 8.8. if anybody knows any good deals on these let me know...

eight
03-04-2004, 04:45 PM
If you're not set on a HP you can expande your search to a 76-77 F-250 also. LP44, driver drop, leaf sprung, 297s, discs. Then you'd have huge hubs and everyone would think its a 60. :D

bigFAWKINranger
03-05-2004, 03:28 PM
i prefer high pinion as most of us would, but now i know that my search is a little more likely to produce something i can use, i can expand what i'm lookin fo'. thanks kol'pecker

BigRedFord04
03-09-2004, 08:52 PM
i'll watch for the axles....i've got a few other paying projects in line that need axles too so i'll be looking. i can get the axles put in also, rear will be easy and front is already halfway done. no prob. i dont have any other projects going on right now anyway. :flipoff2:

bigFAWKINranger
03-10-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
i'll watch for the axles....i've got a few other paying projects in line that need axles too so i'll be looking. i can get the axles put in also, rear will be easy and front is already halfway done. no prob. i dont have any other projects going on right now anyway. :flipoff2:

free trail rig a$$hole!!!! enough said. :flipoff2: