PDA

View Full Version : Mason trip

BigLee
06-18-2002, 09:41 PM
So what kind of terrian is there at this place, and does anybody when we are leaving or how long we are going to be there. And who all is planning on going.

BigRedFord04
06-18-2002, 10:08 PM
Well...i guess you are...

froader03
06-18-2002, 11:04 PM
the trip is saturday and gates open at 8am... I'm looking to drive to houston that night so I was hoping to be able to stay out there friday night, but haven't talked to anyone yet. more info can be found here (http://www.rock-it-land.com/austinriverrats/main/GraniteHillsRun.htm). the terrain is primarily granite. if you are going you need to be sure and print out the release form from the above website and have it filled out. it's $25/vehicle & driver and $5 per passenger. usually there's an additional camping fee, but it has been waived for saturday night since this is the grand opening of the land to the public. all this is on the website so check it out and someone will post additional information soon.

BigLee
06-18-2002, 11:09 PM
does a group want to get together sat morning at McDonalds about 7 and carpool over there?

Doug Krebs
06-20-2002, 12:45 PM
Here is some more info

The gate at the property will be opened at 8am.
LSLC has planned on meeting at the HEB parking lot in Cedar Park at 7am and leaving there shortly after.
I am recommending that my North Austin members meet & caravan with them.

Austin River Rats have planned on meeting at the Y in Oak Hill possibly around the same time. So the folks in South Austin will caravan with them.

http://rock-it-land.com/austinriverrats/main/GraniteHillsRun.htm
Info regarding run...plus link to HCOR's run this past weekend w/pics

Brian K. Perez
Austin Four Wheelers -Prez

froader03
06-21-2002, 03:15 PM
me, my 2 neighbors and I think Lee are leavin' tonight (friday)... we'll be staying somewhere around mason... no plans as of right now, just drive there tonight and find somewhere to stay. if you wanna leave tonight gimmie a call at the house 693-9988 although we don't have an exact departure time. if you don't catch us feel free to show up tomorrow. I don't know of anyone for sure coming saturday morning but if it does turn out a few decide to go that'd be awesome. directions are on the website and DON'T FORGET THE RELEASE FORM. happy wheelin'.

Doug Krebs
06-21-2002, 03:40 PM
All i can say is this place looks TOUGH!!!! but fun... i think there is going to be some nice body damage!!!! just look through some of these pics http://128.83.80.200/taco/mason.html Get ready for some fun!!!!!!!!! I'm most likely leaving tonight. Oh yeah, let me know if your going i have to email a guy with a count and time of arrival!!!

Doug Krebs
06-22-2002, 09:45 PM
Well... that place kicked ass. It got the best of my entire drivers side. Lets put it this way, the easy stuff is hard, and the hard stuff is as impossible as you want to make it. Really big turn out probably about 50 people, and i'd say around 30-40 vehicles, any where from stock to almost custom buggies. I'll get pictures up soon..... tired, going to bed...

froader03
06-23-2002, 06:50 PM
I agree... very kick ass and I only saw a little of the really hard ****. I do think we made a good showing. my neighbor Tommy is a new member and he brought his blazer out for the first time and did awesome. Lee actually wheeled his stock jeep which he bought literally a week ago and so far as I can remember made it through everything. the Ranger was a champ and I had a helluva good time with minimal trail damage. I didn't get to wheel with Doug but we did find him later in the day and he definitely won the Beat the **** Outta Your Rig Award for the weekend. all I can say is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. and another thanx to Michael for showing up and representing the club. Doug and I are gonna get together and do a write up sometime soon. this place is cool and I'm definitely going back later this summer. so, more to come soon on the new land in Mason...

BigLee
06-23-2002, 07:16 PM
Yes it was awesome, and if I had had breaks, and i knew how to drive the stick off road i would have done a lot better, but yes I made it though everythign i tryed, it was bad a s s cant wait to go back locked and lifted.

froader03
06-23-2002, 10:30 PM
austin river rats has some pics (http://www.rock-it-land.com/austinriverrats/main/granitehills/index.html) on their site.

RednekDodge
06-23-2002, 10:42 PM
here (http://www.jkcustoms.com) are some more pics of the mason trip, they include some good pics of doug tearing up his body. Click on the mason link. The trip was a blast and I look forward to going agian, it had something for everyone. I will have some more pics of Tommy, Jason and Lee up soon.

BigRedFord04
06-23-2002, 10:51 PM
Nix and I saw that maroon Toy truck today on our way thru Austin today, I talked to him on the CB b.c. his truck was leaning terribly to the passenger side. He told us he "sandwiched" his right rear spring out there and I'm guessing the pics on the last page are the action shots...so if you wanna know how to "sandwich" a spring, check out page 10 of that link hensel sent.

BigRedFord04
06-23-2002, 10:58 PM
DAMN KRABS!!! Nice pics whoever took 'em. What happened? Why'd you slip into the crack?

Doug Krebs
06-23-2002, 11:58 PM
OUCH!!!!:confused:

Fredo
06-24-2002, 01:32 AM
thought this was in order krebs.:D

AgDieseler
06-24-2002, 11:49 AM
There are some more pics (http://community.webshots.com/album/41457749kSUApf) at this guys website. Hey Doug, is this the guy that you were talking about?

Chadnutz
06-24-2002, 12:26 PM
So where is this place? How long does it take to get there?
How often is it open? How far is the nearest town?

davido
06-24-2002, 05:48 PM
If Aaron is on here, he'll remember this guy from Clayton...

http://www.jkcustoms.com/Dsc00326.jpg

need to get the cruiser done..... (the axles were in Dallas this morning!
:D )

Doug Krebs
06-24-2002, 05:56 PM
that guy's crossmember for his 4 link broke, we fixed on one of the hill tops

froader03
06-24-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Chadnutz
So where is this place? How long does it take to get there?
How often is it open? How far is the nearest town?

Mason, Texas is about 30 miles west of Llano and the land is about 10 miles on the other side of Mason (which by the way has a kick ass gas station with like a dozen pumps and free air at every one, not the ****ty air where it takes like 10 minutes to fill a tire either; it took me about five minutes to get completely aired up... good ****). depending on traffic and the group going I'd say it'll take anywhere from 2.5-3.5 hours to get there. it's a cool place but the prices are kinda ****ty. we camped for free and only wheeled 1 day nad it was $25, which is not bad, but we're used to getting all free at Llano. at Granite Hills if you wanted to drive in the morning, wheel all day, camp, and wheel some more the next day before going home you're looking at $65. I'll do a write up so everyone can learn more about it. but this might not be for a few days so be patient.

all for now.

Gullybasher
06-25-2002, 10:27 PM
Mason was worth the drive, but I would not do make it a day trip again. It took some manuevering to get my 32's down the "Waterfall" trail, but finally made it through with out any damage. Some Longhorns in front of me were sporting 33's and waisted their tie rod, then their friend in front of them with 35's broke a break line, and their buddies in front of them peeled there 35 of the front rim. All this happened within the first hour that I was following. It was intresting.

Michael Ausley
81 CJ7

Krawler68
06-26-2002, 09:19 AM
***...them no drivin' Longhorns....:D :D

RednekDodge
06-26-2002, 11:37 AM
Here is a link (http://www.angelfire.com/rant/skrutch69/Mason.htm) to pics of Jason's and Tommy's trucks.

redcagepatrol
06-28-2002, 08:11 AM
Dang Doug,
looks like everyone was watching you! Good job!

That looked like a pretty tough crack to straddle, but good effort.

Just so you don't feel too bad, I saw a black K5 in Clayton with a nice paint job but also with a fresh srcatch and dents down BOTH sides of the truck. That really had to hurt!