PDA

View Full Version : locker or axle?

dreed
04-16-2004, 02:13 AM
so i've thought about it some, but never really seriously. i always say i'll do this and that when i get some money. so i was thinking that instead of buying a new detroit, maybe i should try to buy an axle for the front from a junkyard or somewhere.
If i got the detroit, then i couldn't use my stupid swampers for awhile. i'll have to get shafts which are a couple hundred dollars. if i did do that, i'll have a decent rear axle but a front that sucks.
but if i got an axle, i could still wheel like i've done so far, but have a strong axle buildup in progress and buy things for it as i have the money.
so the more i think about it, the more inclined I am to go for the axle.
what do ya'll think?

A friend of mine suggested a 3/4 or 1 ton axle from a dodge. How easy would that be to put in mine? What fabrication would be needed? What hardware would i have to buy to get it in?
I honestly don't know that much about swapping axles. What other axles should i look at?
And one of the most important things...how much would one of these used axles cost?
Any input/advice/suggestions would help me out alot. Thanks .

bburris
04-16-2004, 02:24 AM
You'd need to fine front and rear D60s from a new-ish model Dodge (like Kopecki's) and swap them in. The front will be vaccuum disco, but it's still be stronger than what you have...

Violentv8toy
04-16-2004, 02:25 AM
you'd most likely want to go with a D60. 3/4ton axles are just 1/2 ton axles with different outers. (same strength)

Do you have a pass. or driver drop?

EDIT: beat me...

bburris
04-16-2004, 02:25 AM
and if you need someone to use those 38.5s while you aren't then just give me the word, I'll be happy to "store" them...:flipoff2:

dreed
04-16-2004, 03:26 AM
driver.
i might be willing to let you use them on a "trial basis"

Chadnutz
04-16-2004, 08:46 AM
I'm pretty sure that 3/4 ton axles are the same as 1 ton axles.

eight
04-16-2004, 02:22 PM
No all the 1 tons are dually's from 94-02. You need 3/4 ton ones. Of course you could run hummer wheels on dually axles. Mines a 98.5 but the axles were made in 94. LP60 front and 70 rear. Later on they switched to a d80/d70 hybred. I think that one used a d80 center section with the rest d70. So you'd probably want to avoid that one for its plowing ability and cause for offroad purposes its no stronger. I'm not sure if anyone makes a locker for the front. I think its something stupid like 32 spline 1.4" shafts. Most of them are gonna have 3.55 gears.

uglyota
04-16-2004, 05:59 PM
I think you're right to go for the axle...cheaper and more fun (in a greasy hands sort of way) to do right now, and it's what you'll want to do in the long run anyway.
Plus you could run your tires right now.
Then, since it's a DD, you might look into the new e- and cable-lockers available now (in addition to the 'ol ARBs)
What's a front 60 cost? $50-$1200?

dreed
04-16-2004, 10:51 PM
To get this straight. I'm looking for 3/4 ton axles from a 94 to 01 dodge right?

I've thought about those cable lockers. I had a friend who is a mechanic bought one of those OX lockers for his heep. He had lots of trouble getting it adjusted right. When he sold the heepa few months later, i dont think he ever got it adjusted right.

eight
04-16-2004, 11:43 PM
Yep, 3/4 ton. 94-02. I guess its a bolt in. But if you can get a ford front 60 it'd be much better. Shouldn't be too hard to cut the brackets off your axle and weld em to the ford. And I think a Sterling 10.25 will work for your speedometer too, its no stronger than a d70, but another option and easier to find.

dreed
04-19-2004, 02:18 AM
So what is the difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton dodge axles?Whats the difference between the dodge and the ford 60? What year and model of Ford would I look for? How would the sterling work for my speedo? I thought the speed sensor was on the rear axle.
Also, is there a website or any publication that describes in detail the differences and strengths/weaknesses of lots of different axles? Maybe a POR thread or something?

eight
04-19-2004, 11:32 AM
The dodge 3/4 and one ton front axles are the same strength as each other. But the one tons were all duallys in the years you're looking for so they're about 8" wider.

The Dodge front 60 in those years has shafts smaller than a Ford, Chevy, or earlier Dodge 60. Yet they're still bigger than a d44. They use the same size u-joints as the real 60s. Ford axle uses 1.5" shafts with 35 splines, a d44 uses 1.3" 30 spline shafts, a search on pirate should get you the specs on the dodge 60 shafts. They have vacuum disconnect and unit bearing hubs with no lockouts just as your current axle. They have a low pinion housing where as the fords have a high pinion, the strength difference here is negligable but high pinion gets the driveshaft up higher. If there are any lockers available for the Dodge axle there aren't nearly as many choices as for the ford.

The only benefit to the dodge over the ford is that it may bolt in to your suspension. You can come over and we'll measure your 44 against my dodge's 60 to see if they're the same. Well, another benefit would be that just about nobody swaps the dodge axle into anything so they should be cheaply obtainable.

You would look for a ford front 60 in a 78-79 F-350 or some F-250s. Or a 86-97 F-350.

The sterling rear axles from 92-97 have a speed sensor. The perches might need to be moved so only get one if its a good bit cheaper than the d70 from a 94+ dodge. Either axle will use a different u-joint than your driveshaft.

dreed
04-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I guess 'll start calling junkyards and see what they have.