PDA

View Full Version : Dana 44's

Pages : 1 [2]

BigRedFord04
01-26-2005, 04:58 PM
welcome to the world of driving a modified vehicle every day :flipoff2:

Chadnutz
01-26-2005, 05:03 PM
If you have any more thread buy another nut and use both.

Mud King
01-26-2005, 05:03 PM
dont know if lock washer is worn out i just keep tightenin it never take it off to see if it is i guess i will try that and see, but the bad thing is i have to take the whole box off to get the nut off.

uglyota
01-26-2005, 05:06 PM
good God!
buy a locknut!
go to John Deere and get the metal kind, not the nylon-insert kind, and you'll be good to go.
Other option is to drill and wire your current one, but you're pretty lucky you haven't pulled a "Travis" yet running that setup!

Mud King
01-26-2005, 05:08 PM
talkin about drivin a modified vehicle every day... the thing was driving like hell there for a while the motor was missin real bad and no power, and the motor always sounded like it was gonna blow. I put a new fan clutch on there and it unleashed the power, i took off the old one and all the bearings fell out in my hand, it was tryin to turn that damn fan so much it was zappin the power. I found a new gas cap at the gas pump one day when i was fillin up and it looked new and fit and snapped real tight so i put it on there, the old one didnt even have a gasket in it any more, the thing purrs like a kitten now, oh and also put a new fuel filter on there, couldnt even blow through it, rust came out of it. amazing what a little maintenance will do. And for xmas i got all my electronic stolen out of it on xmas day, CB stereo and radar detector. Very happy xmas presents, got every thing replaced now and out of my own pocket, damn insurance wouldnt cover any of it even on my own driveway, thats it will post more later...

uglyota
01-26-2005, 05:13 PM
does it still look like this?:
http://www.tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4116&stc=1
just drill a hole in the bolt in line with one of the ears on that castellated nut and slip a cotter in it

Mud King
01-26-2005, 06:24 PM
no no no not that nut, the pitman arm nut the one that holds the arm to the box shaft, but yes it still does look like that.

uglyota
01-26-2005, 06:31 PM
my bad...
so is the arm actually sliding off the splines and getting loose, or is the nut just backing off? On mine the splines are veeerrrrry tight...you might have wasted the splines on the sector shaft and the pitman by letting it get loose. How are you torqueing it? Mine torques to like 100 ft-lb or something crazy like that. took a lot of heat and cheaterbar to get it loose

Mud King
01-26-2005, 06:43 PM
i redid the rear springs to make them flex a little better, they do flex better but not great, did a little small testing to see the flexage.

Mud King
01-26-2005, 06:53 PM
theres no way to get anything in there to torque it, so im just using a big cresent wrench and cheater pipe to tighten it, the splines look tight as can be i think it is just the nut backing off because by hand you cant ever move the arm itself the nut just backs off bout a quarter turn, im thinking vibrations or stress on the threads can be causing this, i was just wonderin if they had like a big lock nut for this...

Graystroke
01-26-2005, 07:44 PM
is the shaft have a key way or flat side where the shaft has a chamfer? I've seen a few steering box's this way so you could use a keyed washer that was bent over to hold the nut...like on many axles w/ full flotors. the other way is to use to nuts and a thin washer between the two and to bend it over both to lock them in place.

Mud King
01-27-2005, 01:09 AM
i dont think there is enough threads to use two nuts, with just one nut theres only like three turns of threads left visible...i think i am gonna try using lock tite and see if that works, was gonna weld the nut to arm but then that would probably melt seals in the box, we'll see.

robertf03
01-27-2005, 02:09 AM
i'm pretty sure mine had a lockwasher.

uglyota
01-27-2005, 09:29 AM
there's a lot of metal for heat-sinking on that shaft and arm...I think a solid tack weld is a good idea

eight
01-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Mine torques to like 100 ft-lb or something crazy like that.

Stupid ricers. My lug nuts take more torque than your engine makes, or your steering box nut takes, or both compined.

Just put the new lock washer on it, most the time when I take em apart the lock washers are trash.

StevenAg03
01-27-2005, 02:38 PM
i agree with eric...you need one of those locknuts that looks as if o0ne end has been smashed together a little bit. it does not use a normal nut if thats what you have on there and on something like the steering box a lock washer by itself will not be enough either.

TxCruzr
01-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Stupid ricers. My lug nuts take more torque than your engine makes, or your steering box nut takes, or both compined.

:laughing:

BigRedFord04
01-27-2005, 03:08 PM
LMAO :laughing: :gigem:

kopecki, you's a funny sumbeech.

uglyota
01-27-2005, 03:26 PM
have you guys really never heard that before?

eight
01-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Yea I've heard that Eric. But I put my personal spin on it.

And wolverton, there is no special nut needed. I've never removed one that had a lock nut, and the rebuild kits for my jeep and 94 f350 came with new lock washers.

TxCruzr
01-27-2005, 04:38 PM
have you guys really never heard that before?

I don't get out much...leave me alone :flipoff2:

robertf03
01-27-2005, 05:04 PM
( . )( . )

StevenAg03
01-28-2005, 07:04 AM
And wolverton, there is no special nut needed. I've never removed one that had a lock nut, and the rebuild kits for my jeep and 94 f350 came with new lock washers.

still doesnt mean a lock nut wouldnt fix this problem.....

Shaggy
01-28-2005, 01:25 PM
i bet the splines are trashed... they fit on there really damn tight and if it gets loose that easy it is probably the splines

Mud King
01-28-2005, 05:28 PM
went and put a new lock washer on there a minute ago adn it seemed to help for now, no more popping noises real smooth, the old washer was pretty much flat, i put a new grade 8 one on there, so we will see...if i have access to a welder any time soon though im gonna put a little tac weld on there for a little reassurance. Thanks guys for thoughts..

Mud King
03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
does anybody have a dana 44 carrier for 3.92 and up and possibly a set 4.56's for dana 44 that they would like to get rid of...i need it for the front end, gonna order shaft this week and gonna gear the front end myself, just wonderin if anyone might had any of this?

Mud King
04-04-2005, 03:00 PM
alrighty does anybody know anything about hydraulic clutches? easter weekend i pulled the tranny and put a new clutch and flywheel in it, got everything put back in it sunday night and went to back it out of garage and it had no pedal but about a inch off the floor. The only way to get it into gear was to pump the clutch vigorously for about thirty seconds and then it would drop into gear and then the clutch would let off right off the floor. I left it at home and drove 73 CJ5 back up here, dad was fed up and took it to local shop and told them to figure it out. I figured as well as them it had to be slave or master cylinder was out, they called today and replaced both and there is still no pedal. Does anyone have a clue as to what else it could be. I know the clutch was put in right that was the third time ive put a clutch in the thing, the clutch and flywheel were all the right parts, same part numbers and appeared identical? Any clues?

Also i had got my new tom woods drive shaft in and its too long. I must have measured wrong or something, its compressed all the way at ride height. Who knows. Gotta send it back.

AggieTJ2007
04-04-2005, 03:02 PM
sounds like you have air in the system, just like weak brakes

Mud King
04-04-2005, 03:11 PM
they say they bled it, and i bled it that night when i had no pedal but it didnt help and there wasnt any air bubbles.

uglyota
04-04-2005, 03:58 PM
on a toyody the clutch cylinders can be tough to bleed...best way is to gravity bleed it for a while, just leave the bleeder loose and keep topping off the reservoir for a half hour or so, then bleed it like normal a few times. Could the mc pushrod need adjustment? Maybe you had it adjusted all the way in? Good luck

Mud King
04-18-2005, 09:46 AM
well i havent got truck back yet, the shop has had my truck for three weeks and they have replaced everything involving the clutch and yet it still doesnt have any pedal, they are stumped as am i, i really dont think they know what theyre doing but it was a very respectable shop in the area, they say it has blown out 5 slave cylinders and two masters and put two clutches in it, im absolutely amazed.

Well to the point when i get the truck back i am gonna need some help doing some things, my parents wont let me work on truck at home anymore etc. etc. etc. Ive paid money for a woods driveshaft that doesnt fit and before i can tell them how much shorter it needs to be i need to modify or make new tranny crossmember. I have no tools or material up here and would be glad to pay in whatever currency is wanted to help or just m ake me a crossmember. I know pretty much how i want to do i just need someone that can do it. I really want to get this damn thing tied up and done so i can actually take it somewhere and wheel it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, im not afraid to pay i really need this done! Thanks guys

Chadnutz
04-24-2005, 11:02 PM
If you like overkill and can wait 3 weeks...

http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/albums/album31/9zzk00000915.jpg

stx4wheeler
04-24-2005, 11:51 PM
dillon you can only go with the above route if you can promise us another 600 +post thread...........

Mud King
07-08-2005, 10:33 AM
alright i want to take the doors off of my truck, but whats stopping me is will it be ***** to get em back on and all lined up if i wnna put em back on. They have hinges that wont unbolt just those damn pins?

uglyota
07-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I notched my hinges like this:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=974665
(bottom of this post:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1911645&postcount=3
in this thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173918 )