PDA

View Full Version : Disney Calroc writeup

Fredo
04-19-2004, 01:26 AM
I'll sit down and right down my account of the events later. Also, I'm still resizing pictures and getting them uploaded. For now....here's a teaser video and picture.....the video does not have sound by the way.

*right click, save as*
http://www.ridesbybmf.com/camaro/troy.MOV

http://www.ridesbybmf.com/camaro/teaser1.jpg

Fredo
04-19-2004, 01:27 AM
Some noteable quotes from the weekend that I remember...

*random redneck in crowd behind me*
"Dude, he shouldn't have backed up...there's no way he's getting up that **** now........well, nevermind, I guess I was wrong"

*multiple authors*
"Ah yes, another quality job done by Poison Spyder Customs"

*Scott's account of sunday's 2nd course*
"Well, we made it up the first gate, then right before the second gate we pretty much blew the whole thing up."

*Casey at restaraunt*
"Dude, that ho is ****in' HOT!"
*waiter*
"Hey man, that's not cool, that's my mom."

*Drunk Casey again*
"Hey, let's go back to the subway and pick up some B1tches!"

J Cooper
04-19-2004, 01:33 AM
yes :D

froader03
04-19-2004, 08:58 AM
how'd they do? no updates on the calrocs site yet...

Broncocustom
04-19-2004, 01:31 PM
They were still in second place on the second day until the rear crossmember that the rear links were connected to ripped of the frame. Fredo or anybody, I want to see pics of the destroyed crossmember/rear and of the competition.

Doug Krebs
04-19-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Broncocustom
They were still in second place on the second day until the rear crossmember that the rear links were connected to ripped of the frame. Fredo or anybody, I want to see pics of the destroyed crossmember/rear and of the competition.

Did PSC build the rear crossmember?

stinger7401
04-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Doug Krebs
Did PSC build the rear crossmember?

Of course:flipoff2: dipshizts

Fredo
04-19-2004, 03:15 PM
which is why one on the most common heard phrases of Sunday was "another quality job done by Poison Spyder Customs"

I'll get the pictures posted when I get home. If I have time, I might do them during work today.

Shaggy
04-19-2004, 04:24 PM
am i the only person who couldnt get that link to work

bburris
04-19-2004, 04:41 PM
the video clip?

You have to right click, then hit save target as.

Shaggy
04-19-2004, 04:53 PM
i know that... still didnt work though... it might be these computers on campus... ill try when i get home

bburris
04-19-2004, 04:56 PM
I don't think you can save videos, and if you can make sure you're saving it to your H: drive and not the C: drive.

Fredo
04-19-2004, 06:17 PM
and the machine needs quicktime to play it

Graystroke
04-19-2004, 07:32 PM
So I guess this:
*Scott's account of sunday's 2nd course*
"Well, we made it up the first gate, then right before the second gate we pretty much blew the whole thing up."

is refering to this:

Originally posted by Broncocustom

Post up pics!

Doug Krebs
04-20-2004, 12:11 PM
see if this link works, if not i'll attatch it

hmm guess you can't attatch when you edit

Doug Krebs
04-20-2004, 12:12 PM
try this

Graystroke
04-20-2004, 12:34 PM
By the look of the pic: It broke where the lower links attatch, and the axle rotated down, correct?
Wow, those coil-overs are fawked! Ouch $$. I think the Pirate thread needs to be resurrected about the ****ty welds/fab work poison spider does....

Doug Krebs
04-20-2004, 12:38 PM
I saw hal's bend like that and they went back to normal, I hope they didn't get hurt... I saw something on pirate that doug wrote that said ya'll are going to compete in farmington this weekend? If so, have ya'll started working on the jeep again?

Whats the rest of the schedule for the competitions?

jerryg79
04-20-2004, 12:39 PM
From what I read on Pirate, this is just hearsay, but the crossmember ripped off of the frame due to lack of penetration on the welds, a brand new Bruiser, also built by Poison Spider, is said to have suffered the same fate at that event as well.:rolleyes:

uglyota
04-20-2004, 02:17 PM
why is the muffler mounted sideways? All that work to make it TPI then put two 90* bends in the exhaust?

Fredo
04-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Well, it didn't really break at the welds. It broke the crossmember right past the weld. Welding aside, it was a ****ty design that shouldn't have left the shop. As far as the coilovers are concerned, they were discussing replacing the shafts on them to see if they could be saved.

Fredo
04-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by uglyota
why is the muffler mounted sideways? All that work to make it TPI then put two 90* bends in the exhaust?

Well, for one, the exhaust was already ran before the TPI, and secondly, those are 90* mandrel 3" bends. If it can't breathe well enough through that, then there is definitely a problem.

uglyota
04-20-2004, 04:30 PM
ah, so they had two pieces of 3" mandrel bent pipe laying around and just had to use them, and the first thing that came to mind was "mount the muffler sideways!"

I was asking what it had to clear that it needed to be bent like that.

Mandrel, schmandrel, making the air turn a corner still causes turbulence and slows it down (however, I understand that this is okay if it's being used instead of smaller pipe to achieve the correct amount of backpressure).

When are you gonna tell us what was wrong with that toyody?

uglyota
04-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Snatch Adams
From what I read on Pirate, this is just hearsay, but the crossmember ripped off of the frame due to lack of penetration on the welds, a brand new Bruiser, also built by Poison Spider, is said to have suffered the same fate at that event as well.:rolleyes:
Could lack of penetration be associated with a welding "technique" that uses a series of cold starts instead of a continuous bead? :eek:

Matt Conlee
04-20-2004, 04:40 PM
The welds have been cracked on that crossmember since the snow trip we took last year in Colorado. I hope you guys get the rig ready for the next comp sounds like yall wouldve done pretty well if it wasnt for that.

spool
04-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Rig Update

The rig is at Sunray right now and is being fixed so it won't break again. As far as the welds they held and there is a hole in the frame where it was welded. It really needed to be braced more to hold up to my abuse. Tom was able to straighten the shock shafts until I can get new ones. I will be picking it up this Friday so I can do some front axle work then leave for Farmington on the 28th.

Graystroke
04-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Did the cross member break in the HAZ of the weld? If so that is still a ****ty weld even if it didn't break at the actual weld. Wrong rod, to much heat, wrong pre-and post- treat can all cause the area to break.

robertf03
04-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Graystroke
Wrong rod, to much heat, wrong pre-and post- treat can all cause the area to break.

I'm pretty sure it was MIG, and Jimmy can tell you why thats better :flipoff2:

I think the start/stop stuff kept the piece from getting hot enough to get a good weld. In that class I took, the instructor was saying during the first part of the weld you're heating the part up, then when its hot enough you change welding techniques so the HAZ isn't as brittle.

Or maybe that kickass TPI setup just had to make the Jeep its ***** :D

aggiemudman
04-20-2004, 06:36 PM
what welding class did u take? ive been lookin for one but dont know if there is one or not.

Fredo
04-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by robertf03

Or maybe that kickass TPI setup just had to make the Jeep its ***** :D

Damn Skippy! :D

Graystroke
04-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by aggiemudman
what welding class did u take? ive been lookin for one but dont know if there is one or not.

There's a class in the Ag dept and there also a few in ENTC, at least there use to be. I took ENTC 181, which is the basic stuff, without a whole lot of lab time. Then there was ENTC 405, which was all lecture and was about design, pre- post treatments, pre bending, rod/wire specifications, inspections etc. Also took a destructive and non-destructive testing class that looked at welds, joints, etc. with ultrasound. This was an ENTC class also. I don't know if they offer these anymore, seeing how the dept. has kind of gone to **** since Waugaman and Morgan left.

spool
04-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Hey Fred do I get to see some pics soon?

Fredo
04-20-2004, 07:38 PM
yeah, i know....i'm sorry...i need to get them resized and loaded up...gimme a little while tonight.

froader03
04-20-2004, 10:04 PM
from a link on pirate.

froader03
04-20-2004, 10:05 PM

froader03
04-20-2004, 10:05 PM

froader03
04-20-2004, 10:11 PM

froader03
04-20-2004, 10:12 PM

BMFScout
04-21-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by robertf03
I'm pretty sure it was MIG, and Jimmy can tell you why thats better :flipoff2:

It's sure as hell better than that ****ass welder you gave away so you could buy a mig...

Fredo
04-21-2004, 02:24 AM
here's the pictures....hopefully this link works....if not, just go to www.offroadrepublic.com and go to the calrocks album under jimmy's directory.

http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=albuo12

Graystroke
04-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by BMFScout
It's sure as hell better than that ****ass welder you gave away so you could buy a mig...

Jimmy, don't whine and piss on people's legs just b/c you SUCK at stick welding! Kind of reminds of the same guy that blames the computer...."It's the computer's fault!":rolleyes:

:flipoff2:

uglyota
04-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Sweet on-Mog welder:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/albuo12/ace.jpg
are there any more pics of this rig? It's forkin' sweet!
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/albums/albuo12/aat.jpg

Graystroke
04-21-2004, 09:56 AM
That mog is pretty cool...looks like it could float w/ those tires.

On the jeep, what's the spread of the links at the axle (distance from the ends vertically) and on the frame?

The same thing happened about 5-6 years ago w/ a Safari Gard (that's how they spell it) three link system the built for the front of land rovers. They had it on a D90 (supposedly a protoype set-up) and it folded on a road test portion of the D90 twist-off. The braking forces makes the axle want to roll forward and the middle link and cross member have to carry the load- which it couldn't. The truck rolled as a result. Now the cross member is made of 1/4" box and heavily gusseted. ...at least it didn't fail at the welds, jus folded in half b/c the original crossmember is thin!

I would guess though, the forces the D90 saw were even greater than the jeep saw( higher speed...Force=mass x acceleration) Were you using the cutting brakes when this happened Troy? ...Or was the jeep trying to pop over a ledge and were the rear wheels below the center line and hanging?

stinger7401
04-21-2004, 10:32 AM
How did the thing run? Any quirks with the new system or just flawlessness?

Fredo
04-21-2004, 11:05 AM
I swear I heard one little pop back through the intake during one of the obstacles, but everybody we were with and also Scott and Troy said I must have been the only one to hear it if it did. I'm not going to say it was flawless, but definitely ran badass for 2 minutes of tuning at 4:45 in the morning.

uglyota
04-22-2004, 02:34 PM
seriously...were the links and crossmember welded using the method in question?

redcagepatrol
04-26-2004, 05:57 PM
my pics are up:
http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=albuo15

Fredo
04-26-2004, 07:36 PM
How did I know there was going to be a picture of me snoring on the way back home. Hell, I think that was the most sleep I got that week. :D

stinger7401
04-26-2004, 11:35 PM
DEAR GOD!!!! BREATH MAN!!!! B-R-E-A-T-H!!!