PDA

View Full Version : Freddy, Flem, and other EFI researchers

stinger7401
04-21-2004, 10:40 AM
I thought yall might be interested in this thread, yes it is from JU and no I don't care, I cruise them and yes he is from Corpus :flipoff2:

Anyways, I'm not sure if any of yall have this software but I just thought it was pretty cool, maybe one day I'll have to look into it.

JU link (http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=518226)

robertf03
04-21-2004, 10:46 AM
haven't used tunerpro, but winaldl is great.

Haven't gotten into chip burning, so the other stuff I haven't seen before. Maybe some day.

Fredo
04-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Never used that one, but have had good experience with LT1edit, Datamaster, and WinALDL. Still working on learning the ins and outs of chip burning and programming though.

mark
04-21-2004, 08:17 PM
I've screwed with Electromotive's WINTEC2 software. It's the only reason I keep my EFI 258:

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/products/wintec2.html

WinTEC3 is even better.

-Mark

robertf03
04-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Mark, is the electromotive software a viewer, or does it let you change stuff up?

I was checking out this site http://www.geocities.com/ecmguy.geo/tuning/do_tune.html and he's got some of the more common GM ecm's documented.
I downloaded some of the bins off the diy-efi site and checked out what some of the settings are with a hex editor.
Looks like the '747 ecm that TBI uses has a lot more features than are enabled from the factory.

They turn off the manifold air temp sensor error codes, and set the idle speed kick up when the A/C is on to 0 RPM's from the factory. Since trucks don't have an air temp it makes sense, and a 305 or 350 can probably fight through the parasitic loss of A/C at idle. Makes me think that howell just turns off the error codes for ignition related stuff.

mark
04-23-2004, 09:17 PM
The Electromotive software lets you change everything. The newest ECU allows you to do it on the fly. The only catch is that it only works with their engine management systems. Mine, now nearing 10 years old, is due a new e-prom. That way I can run the newer software.

All that and its CARB certified.

-Mark

BMFScout
04-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by mark

All that and its CARB certified.

-Mark

**** commie-fornia...

robertf03
04-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by BMFScout
**** commie-fornia...

Jimmy I'm pretty sure all the Dallas and Collin County stuff needs to be CARB certified, at least in theory. I don't think its just for california any more.

eight
04-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Yall know much about megasquirt?

robertf03
04-26-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by eight
Yall know much about megasquirt?

read a little about it. Neat idea, but you still have to do the same wiring harness and sensors. Why reinvent the wheel If you can make a $40 ecm (cheaper in the winter :D ) work just fine?

Maybe if it has SEFI support and gm/duraspark2 style ignition pickup instead of the ford hall sensor stuff, and the ability to program your own firing order it would have its place, but I haven't read enough about it to know if that is a feature.

robertf03
04-26-2004, 12:34 AM
ok, got curious and took a look at it....

idle speed solenoid vs an IAC bypass valve.... batch fire.... no timing control

thats why I'd rather run a production ecm

mark
04-26-2004, 10:56 PM
That thing seems very simplistic. It looks to use a solinoid to bump up the idle by moving the throttle lever (shades of the old Carter BBD). The batch fire is not good for economy or emmissions.

-Mark

eight
04-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Yes it is designed to be very simple. Its batch fire but there are two batches if that helps any. It can be TBI or MPI. Most offroad people use it with the same chevy throttle body, injectors, IAC, sensors, etc as you'd use with a stock style setup. Its useful for applications that don't easily adapt to chevy parts. Also, its fully tuneable for motors of any size, or any mods. So one could put it on a 258 then swap in a SBC and the only thing needing bought again are injectors. No chip burning.

robertf03
04-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by mark
That thing seems very simplistic.

if it had 1 more O2 sensor and a MAF sensor it would be on par with an obd1 rover setup :D

eight- if both systems use the same sensors, how could there be a problem adapting the gm setup?

also, looking at that board schematics I don't see anything labelled ram or any other storage media. where are the settings stored? does it keep them when it loses 12v?

edit: I cant stop there, need to bash the megasquirt some more

http://www.megasquirt.info/manual/mapp.htm#ass

you have to program it in assembly?!? F that, I'll take hunting through a hex editor for an address with the GM and EEC-IV stuff any day.

BMFScout
04-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by robertf03
Jimmy I'm pretty sure all the Dallas and Collin County stuff needs to be CARB certified, at least in theory. I don't think its just for california any more.

I really just wanted you to know I knew what CARB stood for... All this emissions bs started in californ-i-a though, they should go after the airlines industry, that is where the real pollution is...

eight
04-27-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by robertf03

eight- if both systems use the same sensors, how could there be a problem adapting the gm setup?

It doesn't have to use the GM sensors, or distributor. Its gotta at least be better than projection. And I think it uses flash memory kinda like a digital camera.

You missed the most important part, its an ecm KIT, you have to assemble it.

robertf03
04-27-2004, 11:17 AM
I knew it was a kit, what difference does that make in anything I've pointed out so far?

You are right about the flash mem. Its built into the processor. So it uses late 90's technology to achieve something GM had going on in '85 :flipoff2:

The MC68HC908 CPU is controlled by “embedded software”. This is “burned” into the non-volatile memory (remembers data even when the power is turned off) of the CPU. It is written in assembly language. The embedded code and its variants are freely available. Another part of the CPU memory is burned with the “bootloader”, which tells the CPU how to interpret and store new versions of the embedded code sent through the serial communications port.