PDA

View Full Version : changing rear spring hangers

william_ace
04-26-2004, 11:13 PM
hey guys im gonna be doin a little project this weekend if anyone wants to help. i've got an f150 and im changing out the rear hangers for 3" wide ones instead of the 2.5 " that i have. i'll be doin it friday at some point off of hardwood at my friends house. if you wanna help call and i'll give directions. 210 386 5708. and i'll have beer for whoever comes. thanks guys, later.

will

stx4wheeler
04-26-2004, 11:19 PM
yeah man count me in, since you bought that second grinder it should take to long to get it knocked out.

robertf03
04-26-2004, 11:43 PM
where did you get your 3" hangers?

i'd like to do this to mine but do not want to chisle rivets out at a junkyard

william_ace
04-26-2004, 11:45 PM
i just went to gordons and they cut them off for me.

Violentv8toy
04-27-2004, 02:45 PM
i'll go for moral support....:cheers:

edit: and whats the significance of changing from 2.5 to 3? I've never heard of it before.

uglyota
04-27-2004, 03:00 PM
he must be putting in Chevy springs :D

robertf03
04-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Violentv8toy
i'll go for moral support....:cheers:

edit: and whats the significance of changing from 2.5 to 3? I've never heard of it before.

spring rates are different. 2wd rear springs are very soft. couple hundred pounds in the bed and its dropped a significant amount.

Violentv8toy
04-27-2004, 03:28 PM
so hes changing springs too? or just the hanger?

or you have to change the spring hangers to change the springs?

william_ace
04-27-2004, 03:58 PM
yeah im changing the springs too. THe springs that are on it now will make the butt end of the truck sag 3 or 4 inches if you just put a couple hundred pounds in there. and its just redicilous when you hook a trailor to it.

bburris
04-27-2004, 05:10 PM
I know that feeling...everyone saw me sitting ass low this past weekend in Katemcy. What new hangers and springs are you going to use to do this swap...

Details, man, details...:)

robertf03
04-27-2004, 05:59 PM
brett I dont know about your trucks body style, but 80-95 (96?) 2wds had 2.5" springs and the 4wds got the 3". You take the hangers, shackle, springs, and ubolts off a 4wd truck, knock out the rivets and bolt it up.

and these shackle hangers almost fall under the "less than $100 - buy don't fab" rule

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/ford1.htm

william_ace
04-27-2004, 06:15 PM
yup, i had bought a sterling 10.25 rear because it was a good deal and it came with rear springs and some other stuff. so i went to the junk yard and got some spring hangers and im gonna do a shackle flip so i can take my block out. i dont know if the springs are 3/4 or 1 ton but i doubt it matters cause i wouldnt use the overload springs anyhow.

eight
04-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Brett, I've got some of the 3" springs I may not want to use any more. Actually almost 2 pairs. I put together some 6 leaf packs with full length second leafs. They're 57" long and the center pin is at 25" from one end. The 3" wide f-150 springs are about 130 lb/in and the 2.5" are about 110 lb/in. Mine should be about 220 lb/in. As a comparison the rear springs on my jeep are about 300 lb/in and a little stiff. You got some coil stuff to get rid of?

bburris
04-27-2004, 07:13 PM
My rear shackles and the hangers that are on the frame are exactly like the old style ones. I looked at them compared to a buddy's 91 and I guess Ford kept them that way when they switched body styles. I was looking at getting a Fabtech lift for the front and doing that shackle flip to achieve true poseur truck status, but I'm not too excited about modding this truck.

I guess the hangers and shackles are wider on the 4x4 models, so you just get the hanger things off a frame, the shackles to go with them and some 3" wide springs and go at it?

Ryan - I got rid of most of my old suspension crap, but what would you want so I can look around in my storage unit...?

JB
04-27-2004, 07:38 PM
I have a pair of rear rear hangars off a Bronco that someone can have. I was going to throw them away.

bburris
04-27-2004, 07:44 PM
You have the 3" wide hangers and shackles?

JB
04-27-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by bburris
You have the 3" wide hangers and shackles?

my leaf spring are 3" wide. Just got the hangars, which I had to grind off all the rivet heads, so a little thinner around the holes, but shouldn't be a big deal.

Also got a couple 8.8 yokes i'd let got for $5 a piece.

william_ace
04-27-2004, 08:35 PM
how long did it take to grind off those rivets?

JB
04-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by william_ace
how long did it take to grind off those rivets?

It's a *****. Probably about an hour a side with just an angle grinder.

william_ace
04-27-2004, 08:48 PM
yah thats what i have to do it with, 2 angle grinders. feel free to come. :) hah

Shaggy
04-27-2004, 11:10 PM
i have a torch and can do it for you really fast if ya want

JB
04-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
i have a torch and can do it for you really fast if ya want
remember you got a gas tank back there. :D

bburris
04-27-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by JBrown89
my leaf spring are 3" wide. Just got the hangars, which I had to grind off all the rivet heads, so a little thinner around the holes, but shouldn't be a big deal.

Also got a couple 8.8 yokes i'd let got for $5 a piece.
I think I'll be in CS this weekend, so I can come by and grab those. If the yokes are for 1330 or 1350 then I may take those off your hands as well.

Shaggy
04-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by JBrown89
remember you got a gas tank back there. :D

ya so... it isnt that hard not to hit it

william_ace
04-27-2004, 11:30 PM
sure tate, if you want to that'd be great. i'd appreciate it. and the rear tank is totally empty and im sure i could get the front tank to be that way by friday. hey tate another queston, what size bolts did you use to bolt the hangers back on the bronco?

BigRedFord04
04-28-2004, 12:47 AM
new F150s use 2.5" springs on both 2 and 4wds.

bburris
04-28-2004, 12:52 AM
ok...

StevenAg03
04-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by william_ace
sure tate, if you want to that'd be great. i'd appreciate it. and the rear tank is totally empty and im sure i could get the front tank to be that way by friday. hey tate another queston, what size bolts did you use to bolt the hangers back on the bronco?

thats real smart...you know that an empty tank will expload before a full one....its the fumes that ignight....

jerryg79
04-28-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by StevenAg03
thats real smart...you know that an empty tank will expload before a full one....its the fumes that ignight....

I like when people try to act all smart and be dicks to people and then mispell simple words like IGNITE.:flipoff2:

Just kidding wolverton, did you ever get that computor fixed:D

Fredo
04-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Jesus vs. Wolverton...........Jesus vs. Wolverton. :rolleyes: :D

StevenAg03
04-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Snatch Adams
I like when people try to act all smart and be dicks to people and then mispell simple words like IGNITE.:flipoff2:

Just kidding wolverton, did you ever get that computor fixed:D

kind of like the word COMPUTER or even the word MISSPELL(which apparently you dont know how to spell)...:flipoff2: .....anyway...yeah i got it fixed, had to get a new hard drive for it...forkin POS dells

jerryg79
04-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by StevenAg03
kind of like the word COMPUTER or even the word MISSPELL(which apparently you dont know how to spell)...:flipoff2: .....anyway...yeah i got it fixed, had to get a new hard drive for it...forkin POS dells

actually i MISSPELLED computer on purpose ass. but the misspelling of misspelled was an accident.

Good job using the spell checker though:flipoff2:

Chadnutz
04-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Yeah, but there is a little more more energy in a full tank, and there are fumes around a full tank just as much as their are fumes around an empty tank if there is a leak.

StevenAg03
04-28-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Snatch Adams
actually i MISSPELLED computer on purpose ass. but the misspelling of misspelled was an accident.

Good job using the spell checker though:flipoff2:

i didnt use spellchecker...i used word....i just pasted it and it flaggs everything you misspelled...and chadnutz if i was torching near a gas tank and a spark happend to fly over to it and some how be able to reach the fumes/gas contained inside, i would much rather it be full then empty

eight
04-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Chadnutz
Yeah, but there is a little more more energy in a full tank, and there are fumes around a full tank just as much as their are fumes around an empty tank if there is a leak.

A full tank will not explode. You're supposed to drop them full. But of course we all empty them and create bombs, but at least they're light.

william_ace
04-28-2004, 12:46 PM
the rear tank hasnt had gas in it for almost a year i would say, so maybe there is fumes in it, but i would doubt it.

JB
04-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Dunno if they are 1350 or 1330, but you can check. They both fit my 86 fullwidth 8.8. let me know if you want to come by.

bburris
04-28-2004, 01:01 PM
I'll be coming up thursday night I think...I can come by on friday or saturday. PM me directions to your house and when a good time to drop by will be.

Shaggy
04-28-2004, 02:11 PM
i was just planning on not hitting the tank but if this is gonna get into a safety issue i can purge the empty tank with argon... whatever... i dont care... i torched mine out with like 1/2 a tank right close to it and just made sure the flame didnt hit it or anything to that extent

BigRedFord04
04-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Fredo
Jesus vs. Wolverton...........Jesus vs. Wolverton. :rolleyes: :D
we should bring that thread back....i laughed soooo hard at that.....my $$ is still on wolverton....i mean, at least he's not a fictional character. :D

william_ace
04-30-2004, 03:57 PM
hey whats goin on guys. im gonna be startin on the truck here in 30 min. or so. its 3o'clock on friday right now. Im at 1307 hardwood if anyone wants to come by and help, thats off of harvey and munson kinda by the Tap. i got a 30 pack in the fridge that you can help yourself to. my number is 210 386 5708, gimme a call if you need better directions. thanks later

fbronco86
04-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
i was just planning on not hitting the tank but if this is gonna get into a safety issue i can purge the empty tank with argon... whatever... i dont care... i torched mine out with like 1/2 a tank right close to it and just made sure the flame didnt hit it or anything to that extent

when i cut open my gas tank and did it up for my fuel injection i filled it with water. probably a little cheaper than argon.

Violentv8toy
04-30-2004, 05:01 PM
jeez guys...just don't put a hole in the tank. :confused:

EDIT: did you start already? i'll be over there shortly...need another grinder?

william_ace
04-30-2004, 08:07 PM
anyone feel like helping? free beer just call the cell or swing by. 1307 hardwood. you'll see my green ford truck in the driveway and kevins bronco across the street. free beer!!

william_ace
04-30-2004, 10:14 PM
well we got quite a bit done today. will resume in the afternoon tomorrow if anyone wants to come by. only 1 beer is gone.

stx4wheeler
04-30-2004, 11:14 PM
**** we didnt need no stinking torch they came off much easier than i expected them to. im gonna try and get up and get over there by like 12 or so if i dont get to sloshed tonight.

Violentv8toy
05-01-2004, 04:05 AM
i was gettin' drunk and i went over there...ended up going to 1306 or something like that...they invited me in...I sat down on their couch and then:
*looks around*
Me: so i guess yall haven't gotten to work....
them: nope...still got awhile
me: do yall have enough ginders?
them: umm....sure?
me: good....i was gonna bring my grinder...but thats ok
*sits on their couch*
them: cool
me: so where is everyone? wheres frick...i saw his bronk out there...
them: man....wtf is your problem?
me:wha?
them: man...you've got some problems you need to work out!
me: fawk you...
them: who the fawk are you anyway?
me: I'm ****in mario...who are you?
them: I'm frank and hes steve and Cloe
me: well shiat i guess im in the wrong house
them: oh....that explains it
me: sorry...nice to meet you though...
them: yeah...likewise....
*leaves*

noone was working outside....so i left.

i figured it was the house across the street with the blue chevy....but noone was there.

william_ace
05-01-2004, 04:16 AM
haha yeah bro, that was it. we were prolly out gettin bolts loosened and gettin some new bushings ordered and grinding wheels. hahaha sorry about that bro. just stop my tomorrow. its up on jack stands now. those dudes always throw darts and what not. did thye have a maroon ford in the drive. i called anyhow, no answer. ah well. work continues tomorrow.

william_ace
05-01-2004, 04:26 PM
hey guys i'm startin work again

come on over

stx4wheeler
05-04-2004, 04:31 AM
well we got the beast finished tonight at around 1 30 am and test run went really good got to get one new bolt and he's goodto roll minus his exhaust. Thanks a lot to eric for stopping by and lending a hand in loading up the sterling couldnt have done it without you man. Well it is time for me to get to finishing my project pictures and write up will be posted later by will or me.

uglyota
05-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Apparently people have done write-ups on this stuff, swore they did this conversion before with no problems, etc, but if you think about it, if you bolt up 3" wide springs exactly where 2.5" wide springs used to be, the spring pins must end up 1/2" farther apart. This makes for 1/4" on each side where the spring (block in this case) hangs off the outside of the perch.

Easy fix...we'll just weld an extension on each perch and she'll be good. If I were to do it personally, I'd probably just go with the junkyard add-a-leaf.

Side note: if you are doing this purely to increase load-carrying capacity, flipping the shackle buckets is probably counterproductive (but Will's got bigger plans for this truck, so it'll help in the long run)

Also note that when you releasing the axle from it's ubolts and it slides back, the driveshaft slides apart. This sucks, especially when you put the ubolts back on while the driveshaft is still on the ground...and then one pinion flange bolt rounds off...and then the bolts holding on the carrier bearing break. :cheers:

Glad you guys got 'er done. Those girls are never going to volunteer their driveway again. :laughing:

BigRedFord04
05-04-2004, 06:36 PM
i had never thought about the spring centerpins being farther apart, but you're right. personally i think a 1/4" is close enough to force dat shiznit together and call it good. make the bushings do their job. :D

robertf03
05-04-2004, 08:23 PM
i'm pretty sure the brackets take care of that and move it in 1/4" each side.

can someone with a 4wd f150 post the centerpin distance?

uglyota
05-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
...personally i think a 1/4" is close enough to force dat shiznit together and call it good. make the bushings do their job. :D
Das what we did

Originally posted by robertf03
i'm pretty sure the brackets take care of that and move it in 1/4" each side.
That didn't seem to be the case here
Will? Pics? Comments?

stx4wheeler
05-05-2004, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by robertf03
[B]i'm pretty sure the brackets take care of that and move it in 1/4" each side.

no they do not take care or that, also we still had to use like a two inch degreed block from one of his previous lifts, we also had to hack of his twice pipes since the driverside spring didnt have enough room to fit so we just cut them both off, thing sounds pretty good for a 300cid with header and flow.

william_ace
05-07-2004, 09:54 PM
i've been waiting a couple days to see how everything would handle. i guess the only thing i have left to do is weld the brackets to the frame. for being misguided by the people that i talked to, we did fairly well. actually really good. it sits about 2 inches higher and rides stiffer, which is what i wanted. the onld springs were WAY too soft, i mean you put 2 people in the back and it would sag 4 inches. now it holds its ground. the only thing now is welding an extension to the spring perch on the axle, but i may not do that because i'd like to find a 9 inch rear and build that up. the only problem with that would be the speed censor, but thats another project. i'll get some pictures together later and do a tech article. thanks a ton for everyone who stopped by, and kevin who was there for 4 days helpin.