PDA

View Full Version : Warn ****in Hubs

JB
04-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Why I continue to buy them is beyond me. This is the fourth set taht I have owned and I can not even get these installed. Passenger side went fine, but of course there has to be a problem with the other side. I inserted the body of the hub over the shaft and pushed it on. It went but stopped about 1/4"-1/2" from where it need to be. I tried to coerce it with my boot, but that jsut made it angry. Now I can not get it back out. Here is a pic...

http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=119889&toggle=fullsize&f=warn hubs.jpg

I have used two pair of vice grips with me an my roomate pulling straight out but it is not budging. I tried to pry it out with a screwed driver, but am just tearing up the body.

How the hell can I get it out? Why the hell is it not going all the way in?

Also ended up spending another $30 on a conversion kit, which I discoverd I do not need, even though I had auto hubs.

Ingenloff
04-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Don't feel bad....the set that I have, have yet to seat right....they seemingly fit ok, the snap rings fit into place and all that good stuff, but the damn things don't sit tight....you can wiggle the damn hubs without hardly even touching them.:mad:

stx4wheeler
04-27-2004, 10:44 PM
i dunno mine worked fine did you buy the premiums or the other ones?

fbronco86
04-27-2004, 11:04 PM
mile markers are not any better cause i blew one of them up in feb.

Cajun
04-27-2004, 11:06 PM
You have a 60. Buy some slugs and forget about it.

JB
04-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Yes, they are premiums. I really do not think there is much difference though. Still at a lose as what to do.

AgDieseler
04-28-2004, 12:11 AM
My 10 bolt Warn hubs have the same problem. Every time I take them apart, one side will give me problems, but after some work I'm able to get it to seat.

I have been where you are several times, and every time they fit, but not without about 10-15 minutes of giving me ****.

dreed
04-28-2004, 12:32 AM

what is a slug and how does it work

bburris
04-28-2004, 12:43 AM
It leaves the axle engaged all the time - it's like having the hubs engaged all the time so you don't have to get out and turn them.

Don't worry, Chrysler already added that feature in for people like you and me that haven't swapped that unit bearing chit out yet.:D

AgDieseler
04-28-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Cajun
I think that he plans on being part of the real rigs drive home club. :D

BigRedFord04
04-28-2004, 12:52 AM
beat on the top w/ a hammer, and quit BUYING that chit....ho'reillys has a lifetime warranty on their hubs....i hear advance has also upped their standards to match also.

uglyota
04-28-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by AgDieseler
Is that like the "real rigs get worked on saturday night while everybody else is drinking" club? :D

Cajun
04-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by AgDieseler

Easy fix...simply use the Spicer dust covers. They press in nicely with a rubber mallet and are easily removable with a screwdriver. This is the best of both worlds IMO. Slugs for durability and simplicity on the trail, and when you want to drive on the road pull 'em out and slap the dustcovers back on--it's like unlocking your hubs.

robertf03
04-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Cajun
Easy fix...simply use the Spicer dust covers. They press in nicely with a rubber mallet and are easily removable with a screwdriver. This is the best of both worlds IMO. Slugs for durability and simplicity on the trail, and when you want to drive on the road pull 'em out and slap the dustcovers back on--it's like unlocking your hubs.

do you know of people who do this? wouldn't not having the slug or hub "guts" in there prevent the c clip from being effective in keeping the axle from sliding a little more into the carrier and binding when turning?

JB
04-29-2004, 12:57 AM
With the use of a tow strap and a Chevy....
http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=120165&toggle=fullsize&f=hub removal 2.jpg
http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=120166&toggle=fullsize&f=hub removal 3.jpg
This was a bad idea.

http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=120167&toggle=fullsize&f=fallen truck.jpg

http://www.superford.org/getfile.php?id=120168&toggle=fullsize&f=hub removal 1.jpg

Moved it outta the garage for the first time in about a year and a half to pull on it straight. It came out in a couple pieces. I think I have determined that the splines on the stub are "spun"? It appears that they might not be perfectly straight. ANy one have a spare d60 Ford stub?

Cajun
04-29-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by robertf03
do you know of people who do this? wouldn't not having the slug or hub "guts" in there prevent the c clip from being effective in keeping the axle from sliding a little more into the carrier and binding when turning?

Valid point Flem. I'm not sure how having the hub empty would affect things. On the 60 fronts I've re-assembled, seems I remember the inner shaft "seating" in the carrier. I could be wrong.