PDA

View Full Version : Hummer rims Yay or Nay!

Ben97XJ
05-03-2004, 11:54 PM
I have a question for yall. I found a good deal on hummer rims. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get them. I think i could either buy new centers or buy spacers to counter there backspacing and the fact that the bolt pattern is wrong. The only problem is that i am not sure that they make spacers to convert 5 on 5.5 to 8 on 6.5 and that if i use new centers then i am not sure if i could weld them in true enough to use on the street.
Please give me your opinions.

eight
05-04-2004, 12:27 AM
I'd think austin could make you a set of spacer/adapters. On company time of course.

What would you use for tires?

How much is this good deal and do they come with runflats?

BigRedFord04
05-04-2004, 12:31 AM
i made some spacers/adapters for Xtreme, i think they ran like $80 for a pair, but just like everything else there, the more i make the cheaper each one is.

Ben97XJ
05-04-2004, 01:38 AM
Well they are in dallas right near my house and they are 8 bolt with Rubber or magnesium runflats. He said he would let them go for 40 dollars a piece. I not sure how many he has but he said he had a few. So which is better rubber or magnesium? Does anybody have experience with new centers?

Ben97XJ
05-04-2004, 01:43 AM
For tires i might ask you about some cheap hummer tires or i have been looking at 37x12.50-R15 or 16.5 Irock radials.

bburris
05-04-2004, 01:49 AM
You'd have to go with 16.5 tires, and you might want to look in to differences between the various runflats and how they work with bias-ply and radial tires.

A guy here in Corpus re-centered some hummer wheels for his Dodge a couple weeks ago and they seem to be doing fine. I don't think any extra special tools were involved...

Ben97XJ
05-04-2004, 02:00 AM
I know i was considering the 15 inchers so since they come in 16.5 inch versions i could still use the same tire. I think the rubber runflats would work the best. Also i think the rubbers are lighter but i am not sure.

Cajun
05-04-2004, 06:38 AM
If you're looking for cheap tires I have 4 37 X 12.50 Goodyear MT Hummer tires. 2 are @80%, 2 are @50%. All 4 delivered to College Station for $100. PM me and we'll work something out.

eight
05-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Try those 37s from Andy. I want to see how well they work. I'm not sure if the 36s I have with all the grooving work any better than the slick SSRs I had before. If I didn't have so dam many tires allready I'd take em. Or what the heck, I'll offer $50.

I hear the rubber ones are much heavier. No first hand experience but think about it, rubber vs magnesium which is lighter than aluminum. Plus you can cut the runflat part off the magnesium ones and have some badass fire starting stuff.

I'll donate a 35" spare if you want it.

Ben97XJ
05-04-2004, 12:43 PM
So i guess magnesium is the way to go.

Doug Krebs
05-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Ben97XJ
So i guess magnesium is the way to go.

You can also get pvc inserts. Actually if you can find the correct drain pipe you can cut it and do it yourself. When the time arises I'm going to look into doing it myself.

BigRedFord04
05-04-2004, 06:46 PM
the runflats i got from andy to give to burris were annoyingly heavy. i'd have to say go w/ whatever is lighter.

TxCruzr
05-04-2004, 07:12 PM
From what I've read on pirate the rubber runflats are sought after the most. I believe they're easyer to cut down and have less of a chance of pinching against the sidewall and punchuring it. They might be heavyer but thats unsprung weight down low so its not that bad.

Joseph

Ben97XJ
05-04-2004, 07:39 PM
the only problem with this is that 40 dollar rims plus 50 dollar centers plus whatever for PVC inserts that almost the price of civilian beadlocks from stazworks. Then i could buy 15 inch versions and run cheaper tires. It all adds up.

bburris
05-04-2004, 10:21 PM
It does add up quick. You also have to factor in the cost of studs and nuts for the wheels. You're probably getting them from the same source Blake did and we had to deal with crappy studs on his. They worked, but only after we spent some time with a die and he bought some new nuts.

I also agree with Joseph about the rubber runflats. Looking at the prices of tires, I wouldn't want a magnesium runflat to puncture/pinch one of mine...

Ben97XJ
05-04-2004, 11:01 PM
Well i think i am going to just not bother with the whole idea for now. So if anybody wants some Hummer rims i have the guys number if you want it. I could possibly pick them up this weekend too. Thanks for all the info!

Mud King
05-05-2004, 11:24 PM
theres a place on the internet that sells modified hummer rims in whatever backspacing you want with whatever bolt pattern you run. If i remember right they were like 55 bucks a wheel. I thought they were a pretty good deal but i may be wrong. Ill try to find the site.

Ben97XJ
05-06-2004, 03:02 AM
Yes please tell us where you found this deal?
New centers are like 50 dollars a piece

Mud King
05-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Ok here ya go after much looking i found them. Dont know if this is exactly what your looking for.

http://www.4wdfactory.com/hummerrim.html

Doug Krebs
05-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Mud King
Ok here ya go after much looking i found them. Dont know if this is exactly what your looking for.

http://www.4wdfactory.com/hummerrim.html

That's just for the inserts...

Doug Krebs
05-06-2004, 01:12 PM
Also, if anyone wants to do the pvc route, we just need to find the right pvc... I'm not even sure if it's pvc, i know there are other types of plastic being used. I haven't been looking at this in a while because it's not a priority.

If I remember right it's not cheap, like 400 for a 20ft piece, but if we could find a damaged piece maybe it would be cheaper. In any case if we did have to pay 400, there is about 18.5 feet of usable pipe because of the bell. If i remember you need about 7 inches of pipe per runflat. So roughly we could make 31 runflats and they would be around 13 bucks a piece. So if 7 people wanted in on this it wouldn't be a bad deal.

Also, i think people squeeze the pipe with a ratched strap to get it in the tire.

Mud King
05-06-2004, 03:21 PM
sorry couldnt help guys

uglyota
05-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Doug Krebs
Also, if anyone wants to do the pvc route, we just need to find the right pvc... I'm not even sure if it's pvc, i know there are other types of plastic being used. I haven't been looking at this in a while because it's not a priority.

If I remember right it's not cheap, like 400 for a 20ft piece, but if we could find a damaged piece maybe it would be cheaper. In any case if we did have to pay 400, there is about 18.5 feet of usable pipe because of the bell. If i remember you need about 7 inches of pipe per runflat. So roughly we could make 31 runflats and they would be around 13 bucks a piece. So if 7 people wanted in on this it wouldn't be a bad deal.

Also, i think people squeeze the pipe with a ratched strap to get it in the tire.
are you sure you haven't thought about this in a while?
I think you should put TR beadlocks on your fantasy dream buggy. You have an unlimited budget in this dream right? :D
Didn't usa6x6 have hummer wheels pretty cheap?

Ben97XJ
05-06-2004, 08:43 PM
I guess you haven't been reading PBB lately Usa6x6 guy is a tool. and John from Stazworks was the one who made his wheel from the beginning. His quality went to crap when he screwed everyone over and decided to make it in house.

uglyota
05-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Ben97XJ
Usa6x6 guy is a tool.
now there's a shocker! He builds 6-wheel-drives! :D

BigRedFord04
05-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by uglyota
now there's a shocker! He builds 6-wheel-drives! :D
i resent that...i'm working on a 6x6 project at work.

the guy, greg, at 4wdfactory.com is cool. i ordered some parts from him today. he runs the business outta his house/property. he's got 5 acres w/ a house and big shop. pretty good prices too.