PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle

BigRedFord04
05-06-2004, 11:08 PM
as gas prices get closer to $2/gal i've decided that i need something a little more efficient in that area to get around town (to and from work/school), and i'd like to get a bike since parking on campus next year is going to blow. i talked to my parents about it and they're probably going to split the cost w/ me. dont really care what it is, just something that goes and is not a moped. no set price range yet, just under $2K. oh yeah, and i dont really want a crotch rocket, they're kinda uncomfortable for me to sit on, but i'm open to whatever. lemme know if y'all see or hear of something. thx and gig'em.

Graystroke
05-06-2004, 11:27 PM
how about this:
1975 BMW R90/6, Original white paint,not a show bike but respectable, runs good,call 516-767-7533 $2600
You can find these here in Texas also.
Make a good road trip.
I've always wanted to buy a bike on the other side of the US and ride it back. I think it would be fun.
These go up in value, too. It has 76k miles- that's nothing on an old airhead. easily 150-200k out of them.

jerryg79
05-06-2004, 11:32 PM
typical grayson:flipoff2:

BigRedFord04
05-06-2004, 11:38 PM
i've never sat on a bike that had a seat up that high (close to the top of the gas tank)...what're they like to ride??....seems like you'd have to be hunched over the whole time and end up w/ a sore back

Graystroke
05-07-2004, 03:33 AM
You sit up right. elbows at side and forearms parallel to the ground. Knees are bent to where the top of your leg is almost flat. You sit just like my bike. The one thing I like about my bike is you sit up high and can see ahead in traffic like you're in a truck. I'll I can say is get a bike w/ lots of torque and some balls. The only problem w/ rice bikes is that if your puttin' along and someone's comming over in your lane you gotta down shift 20 times to find the right gear to get the thing to move. On big twins like mine and Harleys, hell even big singles, you just twist the throttle and your gone. I wouldn't get anything less then around 800cc. You'll by a smaller bike as a starter and a month later you want one bigger. Get something w/ balls, you won't regret it. If I was on your budget I would get something a little older or w/ a little nostalgia. Something old still looks cool even if it is a little ratty. Something new or newer w/ gay 80's styling just looks gay and isn't cool. I'm talking about old harley's, BSA's, Triumphs, Norton's, and BMW's. The look cool as hell even dirty and worn out. Rode hard and put up wet.

Graystroke
05-07-2004, 03:46 AM
Had to post a pic of this one. out of your price range at $7500. Very cool bike though. 1961 R69S

Oh yeah, it's shaft drive and dual disc brakes up front- In 1961!
The front suspension is what you call an Earl's fork- extra HD and can take a beating on bad roads- Any bike w/ a side car usually has this set-up B/C of the xtra beef.

BMFScout
05-07-2004, 03:51 AM
got the perfect bike for you, it is a 1981 200cc Honda piglet, recently rebuilt the carb, runs like a champ, probably around 500 bones. The choke is non-functional(needs a new cable) but it hasn't needed it, starts on the first try lately. I rode it for a year, my roomate rode it for a year, parks like a champ, and gets ~50 mpg. I will ask my roomate exactly how much he is asking for it, but I am convinced the bike will run forever, it is a Honda, it doesn't know any better. It also comes with a size large flat black Bieffe helmet, the liner might need a bit of a "how's your father" though...:D

BigRedFord04
05-18-2004, 01:39 AM
i got a bike yesterday. drove to bastrop to meet my dad and take it for a spin. not exactly what i wanted, and it didnt help that the guy had it parked next to it his completely cherry, beautifully polished 1973 1000cc Harley Sportster (which is for sale btw...$2500 i think, great deal), but my dad paid less than $600 for mine and it goes. thus far i've been referring to it as "Piglet's Daddy"...its a 1978 Honda liquid cooled 500cc V-twin(?). Shaft drive, speedo, tach (which doesn't work at the moment) and turn signals. i dont think the pics do it justice...its really ugly. soon to come is a new seat, rear fender and tail light, lower rear end lots of bondo and spray paint for anything that is that ugly reddish brown color. 40 mpg is all that really matters, but its pretty quick too even if it does have 65,000+ miles on it.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album372/DSC01274.sized.jpg

other pics here: http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/lonestar/album372

jerryg79
05-18-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
thus far i've been referring to it as "Piglet's Daddy

How about "the sow" or babe, or whatever the name of the pig was in charlotte's web.

Graystroke
05-18-2004, 03:35 AM
I use to have one of those. It was my first bike. 1981 CX500 Custom. Mine had the "Uprated" chrome and drop ram horn bars. Great Bike and they go forever. The cool think they are just like any overhead valve car engine. cam in block, pushrods, water cooled, etc. Fairly common at wrecking yards in dallas. You can find parts for them easily. Does brandon still have his? It was the same bike. Have fun. Be Safe. Wear a helmut.

Doug Krebs
05-18-2004, 09:35 AM
damn 65000??? Isn't like 20,000 on a bike like a 100,000 on a car?

jerryg79
05-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Doug Krebs
damn 65000??? Isn't like 20,000 on a bike like a 100,000 on a car?

I'd be more worried about the beating my ass would take after 65,000 miles on a bike!

BigRedFord04
05-18-2004, 02:42 PM
the ride actually isnt that bad. on the way back from bastrop i got it to ~100 but didnt think it had anymore. i think the guy told me 1 down, 3 up but i figured out today its really 4 up...so i think its got a little more than 100 in it. i just dont want to do it again for a while.

Doug Krebs
05-18-2004, 02:47 PM
You went a 100 on a bike you just bought???? You're crazier than I thought!

BigRedFord04
05-18-2004, 02:59 PM
...or stupider...in any event...i was driving back from bastrop, already had ~60 miles behind me, and was really just keeping up w/ traffic. me and david (the guy who drove me there) got in a group of like 6 cars (all college students) going 85+.

jerryg79
05-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Speaking of motorcycles here is my awesome bike i just got from Flem for free. It is a 1971 Suzuki TS 90. From the factory it made 11 screaming horsepower. I'm trying to decide if I want to put money into it. The gas tank is pretty friggin nasty on the inside, its missing some parts, but I think I found a guy that will sell me everything I need to make it run, besides tires, for $145. So basically I think I can make it alright for $200.

Im gonna get another bike this summer too, prob an older yz 125 or 250 or the kawasaki/honda equivalent. SO it would be nice to learn on this and have something for someone else to ride with me.

jerryg79
05-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Sorry here is the pic, Yes that is in my kitchen yesterday when it rained. I know the pic is ****ty but I was mainly taking pics of the motor so I could remember how it all goes back together

stx4wheeler
05-19-2004, 04:42 PM
"Redneck voice on" Thaat thang got a hemi" Voice off