PDA

View Full Version : Nix's Ranger

Shaggy
05-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Ok I have decided that the bronco doesn't have a chance to be done by TPP2 so we have decided to take Adam's ranger... but before we can take it we must do some things... i am gonna run my 9" and dana44 under it with my 35's... first things first is to get the axles put together... the 9" is complete but i need to pull out the stock shaft on the drivers side and put in the chrommolly one i have had for over a year now... i also have to move the spring perches in so as it can fit the narrow frame of the ranger... after that is to assemble the dana44... we have all of the parts but they are not together... most of it is still in the ttb pumpkin from my bronco so that needs to be pulled and put in the 44... we also have to make some spring perches for the 44... i havent looked at this yet but i dont see it being too hard... the 44 is a coil sprung one and we are gonna leaf spring it. but the difference in the width might make this doable... after that i think all is left is maby some conversion u-joints if they dont match up and uh-ghettoize all of the little things that have been done in the past... example: getting rid of the vicegrips holding the front leafsprings on and fabbing up a better transmission/transfercase crossmember... after this project is done i think that the ranger will be freaking sweet... fullsize axles 4.88's and lockers... shouldnt break anything too easily with such a light truck.... the work starts tomorrow... hell maby tonight:D

eight
05-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Bad idea. It will be kickass. Then you'll wanna run the one tons and 39.5s under it. :D

Is this just a way to pawn off the old axles on Nix? I think it'll work.

Shaggy
05-07-2004, 05:05 PM
shhh dont tell him

BigRedFord04
05-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by eight
Is this just a way to pawn off the old axles on Nix? I think it'll work.
if by "pawn" you mean hold his truck hostage until he pays buttloads of $$ to get it back....YES!

BMFScout
05-07-2004, 08:06 PM
i say you start it up, stand on the gas 'til it grenades, then see what it will go for in scrap after you cut it up, because of course you don't have a title...

uglyota
05-08-2004, 01:49 AM
that could go in the new safety video! :D

BigRedFord04
05-08-2004, 02:41 AM
took the 1st step in this project tonite, which involves getting the 8-lugs on my truck so we have knuckles, brakes, etc for the spare 44. Anyway, i went to ho'reillys and got the bearings from the 8-lug stuff i got from kopecki warrantied, also, two of the ball joints from that stuff, and the two ball joints i changed out in katemcy....none of which i had receipts for....i think they know i dont pay for parts anymore, but i did buy a soda under the employee acct so they got like 10cents profit outta me. once we get the 8 lugs on mine we can build the front axle and have it complete before we tear into the front of the ranger. tate also went to xtreme and ordered new spring perches for the 9"...which, i thought about, and he should've gotten some for the 44 too since it will also sit under leaf springs :rolleyes: gotta price rotors and calipers for the 8 lugs and as soon as i can get those we'll get the 44 built. all for now.

bburris
05-08-2004, 03:13 AM
If you guys want to swap bare D44 housings then I can bring mine up next friday. It should be the same width at the spring perches as a YJ D30, so it would work a lot easier than putting perches on inboard of the coil buckets... I could also use the coil bucket parts off the radius arms to make my front swap a little easier.:D

uglyota
05-08-2004, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
went to xtreme and ordered new spring perches for the 9"...which, i thought about, and he should've gotten some for the 44 too
you've got a torch, why don't you get some square tubing and spend 15 minutes making some?

BigRedFord04
05-08-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by bburris
If you guys want to swap bare D44 housings then I can bring mine up next friday. It should be the same width at the spring perches as a YJ D30, so it would work a lot easier than putting perches on inboard of the coil buckets... I could also use the coil bucket parts off the radius arms to make my front swap a little easier.:D
make it so #1

eight
05-08-2004, 09:52 AM
So, you're only replacing the ball joints I cut apart? Do the others too. They're 27 years old dammit.

bburris
05-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Keep the housing you guys have bare - no knuckles or anything, and I'll get the knuckles off mine to bring up there. That'll be easier than me having to buy ball joints...:D

Shaggy
05-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by uglyota
you've got a torch, why don't you get some square tubing and spend 15 minutes making some?

they are like 2.50 each... not worth my time

BigRedFord04
05-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by bburris
Keep the housing you guys have bare - no knuckles or anything, and I'll get the knuckles off mine to bring up there. That'll be easier than me having to buy ball joints...:D
i'm confused, what does all that mean? what are you planning on using? i've gotta take the parts off my truck anyway to convert the front to 8 lug.

robertf03
05-09-2004, 02:14 PM
I think brett is saying he wants to run radius arms on his tj, so he'll trade you a leaf spring housing for your radius arm housing

bburris
05-09-2004, 02:20 PM
We got that worked out. I'm trying to tell Austin to leave the housing that they have bare - don't put knuckles or ball joints or anything else on it, because that's how mine is sitting. The only requirement I have is that the proper bearing caps for that axle are in the correct place...

...and I'm keeping my diff cover because that's the only thing I've put any effort in to so far.

BigRedFord04
05-09-2004, 02:43 PM
i just went and checked, and found the bearing caps and bolts...so everything is there.

bigFAWKINranger
05-14-2004, 08:23 PM
UH-OH! NIX knows...... and i don't like hostage situations.... i'll never surrender, and why feed someone i can shoot? i agreed to HELP fund this project, but seeing as it started without my knowing, i do not have all the money to cover this SURPRISE, nor should i take 100% of the cost up my cornhole... but i'm not a ****- i'll hook tate up with some $$$.... maybe like 90% or so and maybe some cool jet engine parts. you kinda caught me off guard with this.... just because i have steady income and job security doesn't mean i have changed.... i'm still broke. :flipoff2: BTW--- full width, lockers, 4.88s..... good to go.... make it happen.

Shaggy
05-14-2004, 11:29 PM
we haven't gotten started yet because the duches down at xtreme said that they would have my spring perches in on monday and it is now friday and they are not here... damn *****es

bigFAWKINranger
05-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
we haven't gotten started yet because the duches down at xtreme said that they would have my spring perches in on monday and it is now friday and they are not here... damn *****es

just use box tooobing. cheaper, and more ghetto, like my truck. and i don't know why, but i feel like for some reason i need to tell y'all, DO NOT REMOVE/TAMPER WITH MY "fo' shizzle" air freshener. thats my favorite thing on the truck.... heads will roll if its damaged.....
austin- want the $$$ for the heims and inspection sticker???? i left you a message- i need a mailing address.... i lost yours... bc when you gave it to me last, i wrote it down... on an envelope, then mailed it. to you. and now don't have it. :rolleyes:

Shaggy
05-19-2004, 12:50 PM
2506 Yorktown Ct.
College Station, Tx. 77845

BigRedFord04
05-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by bigFAWKINranger
austin- want the $$$ for the heims and inspection sticker???? i left you a message- i need a mailing address.... i lost yours... bc when you gave it to me last, i wrote it down... on an envelope, then mailed it. to you. and now don't have it. :rolleyes:

LMAO :laughing: :laughing:

idiot :flipoff2: :usa:

bigFAWKINranger
05-19-2004, 08:50 PM
yeah i suppose i really should write it someplace that i can use it more than the one time. has anything gotten underway yet???

Shaggy
05-19-2004, 08:54 PM
we traded dana44 housings with brett... that is all... xtreme sucks balls and never got in my spring perches

uglyota
05-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
... xtreme sucks balls...
be careful, they might be watching!
Edit: :tongue-in-cheek:
Edit2: darn, that's not a real smiley :p

Shaggy
05-20-2004, 03:26 PM
well i dont care... that is just crappy business if you ask me

bigFAWKINranger
07-12-2004, 03:13 AM
anybody gonna be in town this weekend? its been just shy of 8 months since i was in Tx last, and about 10 months since i was in College Station. This weekend i will be putting the d44 and 9" under the ranger.... i'd love to see a bunch of you old f**kers... and the reason i haven't been around- my password was f'd up and i couldn't get on the boards... i look forward to seeing y'all... and getting the hell out of california. :texas:
Tate, Austin, how's it coming along with the prep work? i shoud be at your house with scott around 11 or noon. damn i'm piss-myself-excited. :gigem:

bigFAWKINranger
07-14-2004, 03:32 AM
wow, i'm touched by the overwhelming responses and desire to help.

eight
07-14-2004, 04:50 AM
Don't worry nix, I'll be there to make sure yall don't **** it up.

bigFAWKINranger
07-14-2004, 04:09 PM
hey kolpecker.... would you be interested in hookin me up wif some of those shackles? i inquired about them a while back, but you didn't have extra. i'll bring beer of your preference. also, bring little kolpecker, nobody has puked all over the inside of my truck in months.

BigRedFord04
07-14-2004, 04:14 PM
....nobody has puked all over the inside of my truck in months.
...as far as you know.... :flipoff2:

tate and i are putting the 9" in today if anyone is interested, stop by and watch.....bring beer.

bigFAWKINranger
07-14-2004, 04:21 PM
haha no kidding, i was about to put (i hope) at the end of that last one. :flipoff2: WELL,....... i just talked to tate... and after some consideration, now i'm thinkin we just run the full width 9" rear, d30 front, and put a GIANT euro style wing on the cab and lower the truck.... that would be sweeeeeheheeeeet. :gigem: dood... any luck, or leads on my ghetto budget sound system??? i was thinkin maybe i could hit up the pawn shops or flea markets.... advice???

BigRedFord04
07-14-2004, 04:41 PM
any luck, or leads on my ghetto budget sound system??? i was thinkin maybe i could hit up the pawn shops or flea markets.... advice???
http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4228

uglyota
07-14-2004, 04:43 PM
...and put a GIANT euro style wing on the cab and lower the truck.... that would be sweeeeeheheeeeet.
hubcap spinners :D

bigFAWKINranger
07-14-2004, 04:48 PM
hubcap spinners :D
my nizzle... we on the same page fo' sho! but do they make a gold 24" spinner hubcap? if so i'll glue it to my tire. BLIIIIIING.
.austin... i saw that post about the stereo last night, but i have NO clue what all that **** is, or is worth... and i'm not lookin to spend much- i'm basically shopping for somebody else's crap they don't want.. i don't need anything fancy or respectable... just like my women. :gigem:

BigRedFord04
07-14-2004, 07:33 PM
beer has arrived, things should get interesting from here on out.

StevenAg03
07-14-2004, 08:34 PM
hey HADAM...when you leaving CS? im sure its sunday correct? i gotta go home this weekend

as for the stereo just go to your local traders village....im sure they got some decent junk there...

JB
07-14-2004, 11:51 PM
you are now using my u bolt plates and owe me $5 :flipoff2:

and I'll post your picture here b/c Austin left his email open on my computer...(so this is what you have found in Cali??)

bigFAWKINranger
07-15-2004, 02:56 AM
right after that she showed me her boobies. she's a fellow marine here. not the best i've seen, but she seems to like me... so its all good.
john, thanks for the spring plates... now that you have viewed the picture, you owe me $5. haha ****er... come to the house this weekend and i'll pay you in beer or sex w/ austin or something.

BigRedFord04
07-16-2004, 12:53 AM
we got the 9" in yesterday before beginning a long nite of getting ****canned. all thats left on that is welding another shock mount on, making the parking brake work, and replacing the u-joint so the driveshaft will bolt up.

tomorrow as soon as i get off work i will tear into the front end and have it completely removed so that all thats left to do is disassemble my truck and rob it of some parts, bolt the axle in and assemble. disassembly starts tomorrow ~6pm and reassembly will begin saturday ~noon.

thank you kopecki for coming over to help weld. anyone else is welcome to attend the "how NOT to" workshop that will be going on this weekend. nix is buying the beer. :flipoff2:

pics of the progress thus far are posted in my gallery.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/lonestar/album410

jerryg79
07-16-2004, 02:17 AM
me and mike came by today after we were turned down at coop's house :flipoff2: No one outside so we didnt stop.

Does this picture make anyone else's head hurt?

BigRedFord04
07-16-2004, 03:32 AM
Does this picture make anyone else's head
hurt?
i dont get it :confused:

Doug Krebs
07-16-2004, 08:45 AM
i dont get it :confused:

IT NO MATTER!

Seriously, your neighbors must be as excited as Jason and his wife that ya'll are moving out!

BigRedFord04
07-16-2004, 05:33 PM
work starts now, and is done when the front axle is removed. beer drinking also starts now and is done when i can no longer stand up as i've now been awake 20+ hrs w/ a 10.5hr work day for the 2nd half of that. someone come keep me awake.

Shaggy
07-16-2004, 06:24 PM
work didnt start yet... he fell asleep... i am gonna try and wake him up and get it started

BigRedFord04
07-17-2004, 12:45 PM
yeah...i passed the f*(K out for like 3 hrs. when i finally woke up tate was on the couch, i asked him if we were going to work on it and he said he'd already done it. so....thats where that stands, no front axle, ready to be put together.

i got a call from nix last nite ~2am, evidently his flight got screwed up at the airport previous to where he was getting picked up so his flight was late. the flight landed late and he missed the connecting flight so he was stuck in vegas for ~8 hrs. he wont land in dallas until about 4 and will be heading straight here. so i'm here workin'...come one come all. bring beer.

Shaggy
07-17-2004, 01:59 PM
we are starting up now... bring hot chicks and yes no fatties

BigRedFord04
07-17-2004, 02:55 PM
1st shortcoming has been reached. we have no long side inner shaft to put in nix's truck. if anyone's got one they'd be willing to part with let us know. compensation is in order, whether it be payment or replacement, but we need one soon.

Shaggy
07-17-2004, 10:29 PM
lots of beer drinking going on now.... adam should be getting here shortly... they are all just watching the paint i am putting on dry... come on over... and remember no fatties

BigRedFord04
07-18-2004, 04:01 PM
lots of beer drinking transpired last nite starting ~9. adam got in just before midnite and was anxious to work, but there was nothing we could do before today. got up and went to vilas this morning and got the gears set, as well as made a reinforcement to put on the frame where it is cracked. about to bolt the axle up and complete the assembly. still need to fab steering and figure out a way to connect the front brake lines. i think we have plenty of beer left if anyone wants to stop by to watch/help.

BigRedFord04
07-19-2004, 02:44 PM
well....in keeping with tradition nix and I (along w/ various help from others) finished another axle swap in 2 days. i honestly dont remember specific details right now about the last 28 hrs which i've been awake, but its done, and he left to head back to dallas about 30 mins ago. after staying up all night, and spending a good part of it up at Vilas, it drove out of the driveway this morning for a test run. one incident of major "death wobble" just leaving my neighborhood, but none in the ~20 miles after that driving around town. the only hitch after getting done was breaking a booty fabbed u-bolt in the ho'reilly's parking lot. by booty fabbed, i mean it was late, and nix was tired of waiting for me to find a die to cut threads, so we cut the existing threads off the u-bolt, which was too long, and welded them to the lower portion, minus about 6". last order of business right before he left was adjusting the heim joint steering and adding lower shock mounts to the front so he could run shocks and help tame the squirlyness. i just talked to him on the phone and he said its cruising nicely on the highway, much better than w/ the D30 and 7.5". also said the 4.88s make a big difference for the better on RPMs.

pictures are up here: http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/lonestar/album410 and there are also a couple of movies, one for proof that it drove away, and the other just for giggles, that i think you should check out.

my personal favorite was this pic...what a goofy lookin' bastard...
http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album410/DSC01502.sized.jpg

...in reaction to this, seeing the full widths for the 1st time w/ tires on the truck.
http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album410/DSC01503.sized.jpg

Shaggy
07-19-2004, 03:12 PM
it looks good... another successful weekend taken to the very last possible minute....

usmcagg02
07-19-2004, 04:47 PM
the film clips wouldnt work :(

StevenAg03
07-19-2004, 06:36 PM
is he driving it back to dallas?

bburris
07-19-2004, 06:39 PM
last order of business right before he left was adjusting the heim joint steering and adding lower shock mounts to the front so he could run shocks and help tame the squirlyness. i just talked to him on the phone and he said its cruising nicely on the highway , much better than w/ the D30 and 7.5". also said the 4.88s make a big difference for the better on RPMs.
I'm thinking yeah.

Graystroke
07-19-2004, 09:02 PM
he's suppose to drive it to North Carolina :eek:

edit: or maybe it was SC?

eight
07-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Don't worry, as far as I know there is no dangerously unsafe bootyfab anymore. But after that u-bolt welding I'm not sure what they could have done. Got a bolt with a nut holding the pass front spring on now. Steering box is back on better than stock. Has shocks. More stable. Yall did tighten the nut on the driver side front spring yes?

BigRedFord04
07-19-2004, 11:51 PM
yes we did. and the only ghetto booty fab was nix's idea for welding the u-bolt. steering came out really sexy and only took about 45 mins to fab, as opposed to the endless hours we spent on mine...but of course i had a shop at my disposal w/ tools that work. :flipoff2:

btw...i dunno why the videos wont work. i deleted them from the album and tried uploading again but it just gave me errors.

BigRedFord04
07-20-2004, 12:08 AM
the film clips wouldnt work :(
i just realized what i think you're talking about :wink: ...that one wont get posted, but its in the private collection if you wanna see it. that was some funny sh!t. for your sake i did leave out a pretty embarassing one taken saturday nite. :flipoff2:

usmcagg02
07-20-2004, 07:17 AM
i just realized what i think you're talking about :wink: ...that one wont get posted, but its in the private collection if you wanna see it. that was some funny sh!t. for your sake i did leave out a pretty embarassing one taken saturday nite. :flipoff2:

that wasnt the one i was refering to...but yea that was funny as hell. dont know the one of me you are talkin about :confused: ...pm it to me?

uglyota
08-19-2004, 12:46 PM
bringing this back from the dead...did he make it? Problems along the way?
impounded and imprisoned for GTA?
:D

BigRedFord04
08-19-2004, 01:08 PM
he was having tranny issues so he didnt drive it to SC, the guy i'm living with, Foley, towed it out there for him. 1100 miles in 2 days. they left on a friday morning ~9am and Foley got back Sunday ~11am. only encounter w/ the law was when Foley got pulled over somewhere in Mississippi for speeding, 81 in a 60-65(?). Adam's still having issues w/ the shifting being fuct up. he says that sometimes it'll shift perfectly smooth, and others it will build up and just slam into the next gear. He says its also downshifting REALLY hard into 1st gear when he comes to a stop. i dont think its of much concern really at this point....Adam leaves Saturday to go to Nevada for pre-deployment training, returns to SC on Sept. 19 and then goes to NC on Oct. 13 for a joyous and relaxing cruise across the Atlantic where he will spend 6 months, day and night accomodations for 3000(?) other MEN aboard the FABULOUS USS Harry Truman seeing the sights of the Mediterranean and the Persian Gulf. During the stay he will enjoy the luxurious task of working on the flight deck of an US Navy aircraft carrier where he will be treated to all the best of the 2nd most dangerous job in the entire US Military. thats what i know. :gigem:

uglyota
08-19-2004, 02:44 PM
you oughta be a recruiter :D

sounds like he needs 3 pedals like the kool kids :)

eight
08-19-2004, 10:34 PM
And 3 shifters :D