PDA

View Full Version : CalROC comp in CA

redcagepatrol
05-11-2004, 11:39 AM
It's kind of went like the Disney comp but the courses were much harder...

Saturday - we timed out on the first course - we were the first ones to go and were just getting used to working together again. We did real good on the next 2 courses but layed it over on the fourth (A5) course of the day. we did great on the last course (A1). At the end of the day, we had 72 points and Hal had 69 (he was our goal to beat)

Sunday - we were doing good on the first course of the day right up till where the truck broke - it if wouldn't have broken, I think that our day would have been great! We broke the custom 35 spline right rear axleshaft right after the splines at the drive flange.

Troy has 8 weeks to repair and get stickers for the Jeep before the next comp. Better luck next time.

AgDieseler
05-11-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm just glad that he keeps working at it. You're both good wheelers, and like you said, as you get used to working with each other, you'll get better and better.

Kick some ass. :cheers:

Graystroke
05-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Scott, how long are the rear arms on the jeep? when the suspension maxes out are they fairly steep (approaching verticle)? Just seems ya'll are rolling alot. Is it from crappy CG or something else. I'm guessing the suspension is well balanced, front travel vs. rear travel. What I was getting at w/ the rear suspension is when that link starts to get verticle the force of the tire fighting for traction and propelling the vehicle forwards travels up the arm and to the frame and wants to tip the vehicle over. I guess longer arms would help, less verticle, less force to the frame. Anyways, just an idea.
A while back when people were buliding trucks they were putting all the travel in the rear, hardly any in the front, made the truck unstable when nearing the edge of it's CG envelope. A touch of the gas and flop, over it went.

davido
05-11-2004, 06:01 PM
When is the next comp?

stinger7401
05-11-2004, 09:51 PM
thats the damn shaft that plauged us on spring break, sucks man, oh well, you'll gett um soon enough

redcagepatrol
05-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Next comp is Pro-Rock in Cedar City UT, July 9~11

the control arms don't get near verticle, the courses are just pretty hard, rollovers are very common. I can't speak for the rolls that he had with Doug spotting but the layover (not bad) that he had with me spotting was one of those deals where we couldn't get up the first ledge of the course and were running out of time for the rest of the course (A5) so we tried to bump it up a little too hard. The front left went up a little too far and it layed over on the passenger side:mad:

The truck IS too tall (sits almost a foot taller than the buggies) and we plan on lowering it at least 1.5 inches before the next comp. One reason that it sits taller is that we built the cage 5" taller than a typical one because of Troy's height and him not wanting to lay back so far so that he could see more. I sat in a few comp buggies and they all lack headroom and have the seats layed back too far. In my eyes the extra height of a chromemolly(sp) cage does not change the COG enough to matter. Many of the buggies layed over in the same spot, I didn't feel too bad about it, especially after making it thru many places where the lighter buggies required spotter straps to stay upright and we were able to drive thru cautiously.

It is just the beginning, if we can keep from breaking our scores will start looking alot better.

BMFScout
05-12-2004, 12:31 AM
it's all that HP, put a 22re in there and get rid of that hot-rod TPI **** :flipoff2: I think my dad would gladly trade his 22re at this point for a tpi small block :)

Busa
05-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Scott I think that is the same axel that Gregg had a problem with in Las Cruses last year. That may have had something to do with it braking.

redcagepatrol
05-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Busa
Scott I think that is the same axel that Gregg had a problem with in Las Cruses last year. That may have had something to do with it braking.

It is. It might have been stressed from the last break or the 1/4" less of spline on the drive flange might have let the splines twist early - I don't know. I just hope that it didn't take out the brand new Detroit in it like it did last time...

uglyota
05-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by BMFScout
it's all that HP, put a 22re in there and get rid of that hot-rod TPI **** :flipoff2:
But then they'd gain another 6" of ride height :D

Violentv8toy
05-12-2004, 08:56 PM
people always say, "damn, how'd you fit a small block in a toy?"

With all the crap on the 22re, its almost, if not bigger than a small block.