PDA

View Full Version : Range Rover trannys

Violentv8toy
06-06-2004, 12:38 AM
well, my dad just bought a motorhome, motorcycle, range rover, and a bmw.

He took his range rover to go get the motorhome, flat towed the range rover back, but hes dumb and forgot to take off the front driveshaft...now it won't move.

He says that it doesn't do anything when shifted from park....but when he shifts back to park, it makes a racheting sound as if going back to park.

Did he blow the tranny? t-case? both? All i know is that its an auto and its got a 4.6L v8. What are viable options to fix this? any info at all would be great.

Graystroke
06-06-2004, 01:36 AM
I'm guessing it is between a '96 and '02. Those trucks have an electrically shifted T-case that uses what they call an H-gate shifter (high range on one side and low on the other). I'm pretty sure that there is a place for a jumper wire or a fuse is removed to shift the t-case into neutral (can't remember which). The transmission lever is left in PARK. The reason for this is so the trans won't spin and burn the tranny up. The tranny pump is engine driven. You shouldn't have to disconnect the drive shaft if these steps are followed. Yes, your tranny is probably toast. As you reach highway speeds everything inside the tranny begins to spin and there is no oil since the engine is not running. This why you leave it in PARK, this way the T-case is in neutral and can spin and the tranny's internal stay stopped. As for a replacemnent. I may know a guy who has one. Not sure and he is located in SA. May call about a rebuild or a rebuild exchange from LR. They are High Dollar. I'd guess around $3K. Other places are EBAY and try searching GreenLeaf's data base. Another place is in Houston (East side) and the sell Jag and rover parts. British parts unlimited are something like that. Does it move in low range? Sorry about your luck. What year is yours? I'll call him and see if he has one.

Violentv8toy
06-06-2004, 08:09 PM
yeah...find one for me.

thanks alot...appreciate it.

Graystroke
06-06-2004, 10:13 PM
What year is your dad's RR. I think there are slight changes over the years '95-'98 are GEMS cars and from '99-'02 they use a Bosch engine control all which are linked to the tranny's brain.

Violentv8toy
06-07-2004, 10:36 PM
i told him to check the fuse, and it had burned out....replaced it and its all good.

thanks anyhow.