PDA

View Full Version : loose steering

cntryboy1865
06-09-2004, 11:31 AM
my brother has a 96 chevrolet 1/2 ton 2wd. The steering is starting to develope alot of play. It feels real loose and is starting to wonder a little bit on the road. What could be causing this

fbronco86
06-09-2004, 11:43 AM
this is a standard chevy problem. I bet its the idler arm or some linkage. You are supposed to grease those things everytime you change your oil.

Chevy also has a problem with a valve on the high side of the pump. my dads truck and jerry's truck does some weird crap. I have not checked into the valve yet but its a dealer only item so its gonna be $$.

eight
06-09-2004, 12:03 PM
You adjust the box?

agjohn02
06-09-2004, 12:03 PM
yep, you need a new idler arm and pitman arm. a couple of those zerks are hard to get to even if you do try to grease it every time you change the oil.

fbronco86
06-09-2004, 04:21 PM
yep, you need a new idler arm and pitman arm. a couple of those zerks are hard to get to even if you do try to grease it every time you change the oil.

it helps if you turn the wheels.

cntryboy1865
06-09-2004, 05:02 PM
thanks, I will check all that stuff and see what it is

agjohn02
06-09-2004, 05:04 PM
it helps if you turn the wheels.

true, but i usually have the oil draining while im greasing and cant start the engine to turn em.

Graystroke
06-09-2004, 11:14 PM
true, but i usually have the oil draining while im greasing and cant start the engine to turn em.
I think that when Mike said you are suppose to grease the steering when you change the oil, he meant grease sometime during the service before you got back on the road. Not at the very moment the oil is draining from the sump! :flipoff2:

"Ah, damnmit! The oil's done draining...I guess I'll have to wait 'till next time. Damn those zerks are sneaky little ****ers!" :flipoff2:

agjohn02
06-10-2004, 11:23 AM
"Ah, damnmit! The oil's done draining...I guess I'll have to wait 'till next time. Damn those zerks are sneaky little ****ers!" :flipoff2:

smart@$$!!! :flipoff2:

i didn't say i skipped them, they're just hard to get to. i dont have time to sit around and wait for oil to drain while i do nothing. very busy, very busy.

btw, it only HELPS if you turn the wheels, he said nothing about it making it easy.

uglyota
06-10-2004, 11:33 AM
It's not that forkin' hard. Just get a flexible line for yr grease gun and have at 'er.
As for every oil change, maybe if you're going for the Camel trophy or something
I hit mine on sunday probably for the truck's first time ever (135,000) and they still had a lot of pretty good looking grease in them