PDA

View Full Version : 1990 big block chevy 6.0L

AgDieseler
06-20-2004, 10:40 PM
1990 6.0L (366 cid) big block truck engine out of a bus. It's got some damn thick cylinder walls. It a good old four bolt main, double roller timing set, a 10 qt oil pan, and rectangular port "hi-per" heads.

$350

Contact Neal Johnson: 214-226-1725

more pics (http://www.oliverdiesel.com/forsale/)

http://www.oliverdiesel.com/forsale/thumbnails/tn_000_0060.JPG
http://www.oliverdiesel.com/forsale/thumbnails/tn_000_0053.JPG
http://www.oliverdiesel.com/forsale/thumbnails/tn_000_0052.JPG

AgDieseler
06-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Nobody? Come on, this thing is cherry! :haha:

eight
06-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Know anything about crank/pistons/rods forged or no?

usmcagg02
06-23-2004, 06:17 PM
you should build one of those boss hoss type bikes with that ***** :D

bburris
06-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Nobody? Come on, this thing is cherry! :haha:
What good is it?

AgDieseler
06-23-2004, 10:27 PM
It's not my engine, so these are guesses, but I would bet on the crank and rods being forged. It's a heavy ass engine, and would work well for a truck. The heads aren't the best flowing for hot rodding, but there's a lot of room left in the casting for porting so there might be hope. It's a good engine that turns.

It would be fun to build a truck around it, but honestly, I would rather spend the cash on Cummins power.

What good is it? It's good at consuming Arab oil.

agjohn02
06-23-2004, 10:30 PM
personally wouldnt buy it for fear that parts are scarce. whats the bore, stroke, rod length, stuff like that to see if it shares parts with other bbc. seems kinda like the old huge 6 clylinders gm put in dump trucks in the 60's. like 350 ci or something, parts arent easy to come by for those.

btw, nothing in 1990 was "hi-per" in bbc terms a rectangular port is high performance.

it'd be a cool buy if you dont get stuck the equivalent of a IH 345. hard to find parts and weighs a ton without any extra performance. i betting the power to weight ratio is pretty close.

how many miles? does it need a rebuild? have you ever seen it run? would it make a good boat anchor?

AgDieseler
06-23-2004, 10:47 PM
It's a regular big block. It could be bored over to a 396, 427, 454, 468, 496 easily. I have no idea: how many miles, if it needs a rebuild, if it runs/ran. I wish I knew more about the motor, but like I said, it's not my engine.

I posted it as a favor, but it's tough to make a sell if you don't know anything at all about the motor. :angry: Sorry, I wish I knew more.

bburris
06-23-2004, 10:51 PM
personally wouldnt buy it for fear that parts are scarce.
I wasn't trying to be an ass...this is mostly what I was wondering about. I hadn't ever heard of that motor and the only busses I've had the pleasure (or displeasure) of driving have been diesels...

agjohn02
06-24-2004, 12:09 AM
not trying to be an ass either.

ok, here's what i know:

if its a truck block its a tall deck. i looked at all the pics and didnt see any casting numbers. the deck height is .4" greater on a tall deck motor. the 366 (i assume) and 427 truck block has a deck height of 10.2", the
396, 402, 427,454 light truck/car block is 9.8". this is because they used four ring pistons. they moved the wrist pin down and used standard conn rods.

im guessing the crank is not a standard bbc (as in 396 or up). most likely a destroked 396. so, you'd either have to leave it like this or go custom. a friend of mine in cs built a 447bbc out of a 427 tall deck motor for his vette. best i remember he used standard 427 pistons and .4" longer conn rods. anyone who's familiar with smokey yunick will know the benefits of longer conn rods. the heads im sure are prolly the worst bbc heads available. being from 1990 and oval port, they more than likely leave a lot to be desired. they are probably open chamber heads too, meaning low compression ratio. however, being "hi-per" heads they could be closed chamber (higher CR) but im sure this is all that "hi-per" entails. it'd be a cool project if you wanted to spend the money. or at least a bullet proof motor for a rig as it is.

robertf03
06-24-2004, 12:41 AM
I hadn't ever heard of that motor and the only busses I've had the pleasure (or displeasure) of driving have been diesels...

I wondered about that too, what bus made in the last 15 years wasn't diesel?

BMFScout
06-24-2004, 01:08 AM
it'd be a cool buy if you dont get stuck the equivalent of a IH 345. hard to find parts and weighs a ton without any extra performance. i betting the power to weight ratio is pretty close.

The old IH 345, known for its weight and power.....way too much and not enough :flipoff2:

AgDieseler
06-24-2004, 07:44 AM
I'll be sure to pass this all along since the owner certainly doesn't know anything about the engine.

AgDieseler
06-24-2004, 09:40 AM
I edited the top post for contact info.

mudtoy67
06-24-2004, 11:40 AM
From what I understand Hi-Per doesn't mean anything. I saw it cast into the timing chain area of a 408 at my shop and my boss said it's just something they cast into blocks and heads

Fredo
06-24-2004, 11:41 AM
it'd be a cool buy if you dont get stuck the equivalent of a IH 345. hard to find parts and weighs a ton without any extra performance.

It cracks me up when people say that. I've never had a problem finding gaskets or anything else for that motor. A buddy of mine rebuilt one and the only thing that was even remotely hard to find for it was a new oil pan. Valvetrain parts, pistons, bearings, and seals were readily avaliable from our local machine shop. Hell, we even ordered a complete valvetrain setup from Comp Cams with a bigger cam, better valvesprings, hardened pushrods and better lifters. Now granted, he spent more money on rebuilding this motor than you would rebuilding say, a small block chevy, but he has a motor that is going to run 250k miles minimum.

bburris
06-24-2004, 12:51 PM
...a motor that is going to run 250k miles minimum.
Can you explain this? Is it just because the motor was built for busses and therefore made somewhat differently for reliablity and longevity?

agjohn02
06-24-2004, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=agjohn02]it'd be a cool buy if you dont get stuck the equivalent of a IH 345. hard to find parts...
QUOTE]

relatively speaking of course. the only things in jegs or summit catalogs that will bolt onto a 345 are carbs.

[QUOTE=agjohn02] ...weighs a ton... [QUOTE]

more than a big block chevy, bbc weighs 640 lbs

[QUOTE=agjohn02]...without any extra performance...[QUOTE]

its a dumptruck motor from the 70's, what do you expect?

not trying to knock the ol mill though. they're great engines, they go long without any problems. what other engine of that era had a gear drive instead of a timing chain.

back to the 366 bbc:

found the bore and stroke, 366 = 3.935" x 3.760". so, the stroke is the same as a 396,402,427. its not a destroked 396, but it has a smaller bore. theoretically it can be bored out, but i dont know how thick the cylinder walls are. id feel safe going to a 396 or 402 but not a 427 without knowing. all bbc's had the same main and rod journal sizes.

the block casting should be either 364779 or 3999293....366T......68-90...4-bolt main
The block casting number on big block Chevy V-8 motors is located on a ledge found at the rear of the block, most often on the driver's side. This ledge is below the deck of the block and the ledge forms the mating surface between the block and the transmission bellhousing. Some of the later model blocks have the casting number on the passenger side of this ledge.

AgDieseler
06-24-2004, 01:25 PM
The 345 and 392 (not to mention the IH 6.9/7.3) are cast with high nickel blocks and deep skirt blocks. That adds rigidity as well as good wear charactaristics. Basically the 345 and 392 are built like a diesel engine. They just happen to run on gas.

robertf03
06-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Basically the 345 and 392 are built like a diesel engine. They just happen to run on gas.

Just the opposite of the 6.2 :flipoff2:

Fredo
06-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Can you explain this? Is it just because the motor was built for busses and therefore made somewhat differently for reliablity and longevity?

Apparently you've never seen an IH motor....basically it's a 345ci motor built like a big block with thicker cylinder walls than your sister's thighs with 8.4:1 compression so that it never gets high cylinder head temps. Not to mention a block with a higher nickel content than a battleship. Also, the sign of an IH motor wearing out is the cam bearings start to go and that's usually around 250-300k miles. I've talked to a couple of guys who are over 300k on theirs and they say that they may leak, but they don't burn oil. Usually when you pull apart a smallblock with shot rod bearings, rings, and valve seals, the cam bearings show almost no wear and depending on maintainance, that could be anywhere from 100-200 miles. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking smallblocks, but I don't know of too many smallblocks that make it to 250k and still run decent when they get there.