PDA

View Full Version : TPI swap

aggiemudman
06-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Hey guy's ive decided to go tpi on the heavy chevy and wanted some input. My neighbors got a tpi that hes gonna sell me for 200, everything but computer and fuel pump. That sound like a good deal?
That brings me to my next problem. Which computer and fuel pump to get? It would be an inline pump, i was lookin at the msd one or an accel. Anybody know anything about the two? The tpi is off about an 87 t/a and i was wondering what computer to use and what kind of chip to get to get better performance. I was lookin at the jet chip or hypertech. jet seems to have a better one for modified motors, so im leanin towards the stage 2 chip with a lower thermostat.
Of course im gonna be hookin this all up with a painless kit due to the fact of me winning one from tcc II.
Any and all info and advice would be helpful.
:cheers:

robertf03
06-21-2004, 10:35 PM
if you do a painless harness your stuck with using a 90-92 ecm.

see if you can get the thing running with the stock chip before pissing money away on a performance deal

fbronco86
06-21-2004, 10:36 PM
you really should go ahead and get a ford fuel injection setup with SEFI its made for racing. yeah

well the one problem that i ran into is the pump when i did my swap. An inline one works great but they are noisy. But you still have the problem of getting a return fuel line in the tank. I went ahead and cut my tank open and put a baffle from a mustang tank in mine (for racing) so that when i get on an incline with not much fuel in the tank i dont run out. you probably want to use a truck computer. and if they are like the ford get one for an automatic tranny that way you can run an auto or standard. that and its alot of fun but you will love it after the first trip.
gig'em and god bless

agjohn02
06-21-2004, 10:37 PM
ive got a napa p5000 inline pump and plumbing ill sell after i make sure my in-tank set-up is going to work. ive been runing it on my lt1 for about the last 9months and it works great. all the other inlines are muy expensivo, but to my knowledge this one performs just as well. pm if interested.

robertf03
06-21-2004, 10:49 PM
. But you still have the problem of getting a return fuel line in the tank.

you probably want to use a truck computer. and if they are like the ford get one for an automatic tranny that way you can run an auto or standard.

Mike they are nothing like the ford setup, its all in the easily removed chip. It doesn't matter if its auto or stick, just changes some of the timing and either a shift light or TC Lockup.

I think GM already has a return line. My ford was the first vehicle I've ever seen without one.

fbronco86
06-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Mike they are nothing like the ford setup, its all in the easily removed chip. It doesn't matter if its auto or stick, just changes some of the timing and either a shift light or TC Lockup.

I think GM already has a return line. My ford was the first vehicle I've ever seen without one.

yup that is why i do fords. also my bronco did not have a return line and it was an 86 which should of had fuel injection.

robertf03
06-22-2004, 01:31 PM
yup that is why i do fords. also my bronco did not have a return line and it was an 86 which should of had fuel injection.

didn't you say it was originally a 351 truck?

aggiemudman
06-22-2004, 02:12 PM
so if im stuck with a 90-92 ecm how does that work? Should i just try and get a 90-92 tpi or can u make the earlier ones work with that ecm? Cuz the newer are speed density which are more desired. But older ones are MAF.

fbronco86
06-22-2004, 04:12 PM
didn't you say it was originally a 351 truck?

well that is what the vin number says. So i guess that should make sense cause the 351 was carb.

robertf03
06-23-2004, 10:28 AM
so if im stuck with a 90-92 ecm how does that work? Should i just try and get a 90-92 tpi or can u make the earlier ones work with that ecm? Cuz the newer are speed density which are more desired. But older ones are MAF.

you can make the earlier stuff work with the late model ECM. Just plug it in and ignore the cold start injecotr on the side of the intake, and buy a map sensor

Does the setup come with the harness?

aggiemudman
06-23-2004, 02:29 PM
dont know for sure, gonna go look at it either today or tomorrow.
ive been reading that the maf system handles mods better than the map though. It will adjust up to 10% from stock and with map you HAVE to have a cuztom chip made.

robertf03
06-23-2004, 03:22 PM
dont know for sure, gonna go look at it either today or tomorrow.
ive been reading that the maf system handles mods better than the map though. It will adjust up to 10% from stock and with map you HAVE to have a cuztom chip made.

what is so wild about your engine that you are worried about?

aggiemudman
06-23-2004, 03:53 PM
well its not stock. pistons, crank, heads, bored .30 over, full length headers and 3"exhaust.