PDA

View Full Version : firewall coating

Shaggy
06-22-2004, 04:40 PM
is there any special kind of coating or paint you are supposed to use on a firewall.. like something that can handle the heat and reduce sound?... if so give me some info

aggiemudman
06-22-2004, 04:42 PM
i used the duplicolor bed coating. it works good and very durable and cleans up easy. prolly helps with sound too, it goes on however thick u want it to.

Shaggy
06-22-2004, 04:49 PM
i have enough bedliner on the dman thing already... i was wondering if there was actually somethin they used factory or whatnot

AgDieseler
06-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Dynamat on the inside behind the dash will do the most for sound. It's pricey stuff, but it kicks ass. Convertibles are quiet with enough Dynamat.

jerryg79
06-22-2004, 05:00 PM
i have enough bedliner on the dman thing already... i was wondering if there was actually somethin they used factory or whatnot

Here is what agjohn put in his scout.....i just remembered seeing the picture, ask him what it is i have no idea

Shaggy
06-22-2004, 05:29 PM
i think i am just gonna run up to the parts store and see what they say... if they dont know ill just throw some primer on it for now

agjohn02
06-22-2004, 07:45 PM
i thought the clamps might get in the way of the hood closing so i glued it down and taped the edges to make it look better. i also, bolted in sheets aluminum flashing to the tranny tunnel with carriage bolts to ensure it wont ever fall off. here's the more updated pic. this stuff is from jegs. im not sure if its intended to be used externally or just under carpet, but its dang sure stuck now and not going anywhere. i think it'll work good and its a whole lot cheaper than dynamat. about $35 for a 4'x6' piece.

http://tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3557&stc=1

agjohn02
06-27-2004, 11:47 AM
just saw some stuff on Horsepower TV called lizardskin thats a spray on sound and heat barrier. they used it inside and outside the floor of a 55 chevy they're building. its got ceramic balls or something in it. try googling it, i havent looked for any details yet.

Shaggy
06-27-2004, 04:43 PM
i just used some ruber under coating