PDA

View Full Version : CJ5 Clutch

MassCJ5
07-10-2002, 02:56 PM
Alright, I have 3 questions since I know pretty much nothing.

First, I need a good clutch for my '79 CJ5. Any suggestions?
Second, is there a place here in B/CS that I can find it or is there a good place to order it from?
Third, where is a good place around here to have it installed? I don't have the time or tools here to do it myself so as much as it pains me to, I'm gonna have to take it somewhere.

Thanks for all your help

Krawler68
07-10-2002, 03:08 PM
In answer to all your question...

yes, LUK is the way to go.

Yes, It's out on 21 going out of Bryan towards N. Zulch... call J&P Standard Transmission... Cheapest and best tranny shop in the state if you ask me. The guy who owns it is cool, and courtesous... and to top it off, they deal LUK clutches and will have what you need in stock.

They rebuilt my NP435 for 400 bucks and did it in a week, hell it only took me a month to go pick the thing up. They even gave me a 50 dollar credit because I bought the tranny from them... hmmm...

BigRedFord04
07-10-2002, 06:42 PM
I've got an LUK clutch as of last semester...clutch is GREAT! much better than the centerforce 1 i had in it before. it has awesome holding power and grabs like a sumbitch...as for J&P...thats another story...

I took my tranny out and took it to them to have it rebuilt @ the same time i put the new clutch in b.c. it needed minor work (as far as i knew: 3rd gear synchro and clutch forks)...they called me a few days later saying it needed all new synchros (wasnt surprised) and a new 5th gear sleeve which was only sold as a unit that included 5th gear and reverse on the same rail. That bounced the price up an extra $200+ for parts and labor. They said they were amazed that it hadnt been popping out of 5th on the highway b.c. that sleeve was "worn smooth". Well, I HADN'T been having that problem...as a matter of fact i had never even thought about that problem until it started doing it about 3000 miles after i had the fvcker rebuilt. Not a satisfied customer but sure as fvck dont wanna take it out again to have them tell me they're going to have to charge me to fix a problem that they caused which i never had in the 1st place!!! SHEEITHEADS!!!

robertf03
07-10-2002, 07:58 PM
I know Pep Boy's stocks Luk, but I think the closest one is in H-town. Autozone doesn't,but try the others if you dont want to buy from J&P

Krawler68
07-11-2002, 08:11 AM
well shiat...if you don't weant them to replace it, just order it from them, then go have Andy's Automotive in Bryan install it... that crazy guy even works on Sundays, and he's dirt cheap.

BigRedFord04
07-15-2002, 01:07 AM
Tranny has now started grinding when i downshift to 3rd @ higher speeds...J&P can LICK MY NUTZ!!

Fredo
07-15-2002, 02:49 AM
Hey Austin, I've got a crazy idea....instead of bitching and slamming them on a message board, why don't you GO TALK TO THEM ABOUT IT! Who knows, maybe they'd try to make good on the situation like most small businesses do. Oh, and another thing about J&P, Shipman uses them, and any place that Shipman uses is good in my book. Ask him about his transmission in his CJ, he recently got it rebuilt there last semester. See if he has anything bad to say about them.

BigRedFord04
07-15-2002, 03:02 PM
i plan on going to talk to them as soon as i get back to CS, as for now though, they suck...i know they have a good rep w/ a lot of ppl in TAMOR which is why i chose them to do it in the 1st place. I did ask about their warranty on the work when i picked up the tranny and he basically told me there wasnt one.

davido
07-16-2002, 08:27 PM
I got mu LUK there. James is coo.

~dso