PDA

View Full Version : What axle did I get?

Graystroke
06-23-2004, 06:42 PM
My uncle needed a replacement rear axle for his '95 Chevy 4X4 Pick-up. He got bailing twine wrapped around the pinion, the seal got tore up and all the oil slung out of the axle. yada, yada, yada...Anyways, I tell him I can get one and that Awesome would be the place to find one. I get there and realize that '90's chevys are 5-lug if they aren't 4WD. Dope! :( . I look around and don't find anything. The place down the road wanted $250 FOR THE AXLE! I even wore ratty old clothes and drove the old '86 PU!
My uncle says his truck is a heavy half? It looks like a LWB chevy half-ton 4x4 to me. It's not a Z71 so I guess it could be a heavy half. ....He also calls the gas pedal in a car the foot feed... so there's no telling.
SO....I went to Awesome Auto Salvage today. I was walking down and isle and spot a six lug something, the cab was so tore up I couldn't tell what it was...the dash was missing. After some investigative work I figure out that it is a Cheyenne '94 up PU. Took off the cover and discovered it had 3.42 gears! (what I needed!) Question is what kind of axle is it? It has 14 bolts on the back cover, it's 6 lug semi-floating, it has GM stamped on the webbing, looks like a 14-bolt on the bottom, no pull out pinion like a full- floater. So... is it a heavy half rearend or what?
How much for all this fun?
$30 Bones plus tax!
Also got some overload leafs that were on the truck.

eight
06-23-2004, 07:57 PM
That's a good axle. 14 bolt semifloat. Something like 9.5" ring gear and 1.4" shafts. Its what they used in the heavy halfs and light 3/4s.

FTAco07
06-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Yeah that is the axle you want. That is the difference between the heavy half and a regular half ton. It is a 9.5" ring gear with 33 spline axles. That is a helluva price for that axle. I was looking for one with 3.08 gears but I couldn't find anything.

uglyota
06-24-2004, 01:10 PM
You don't want that axle...I'll come get it from you.
You didn't happen to keep any spring/shackle pins did you?

Graystroke
06-24-2004, 06:10 PM
I had to cut them w/ a hacksaw. kept them so I know what length to get, otherwise they are worthless.

BMFScout
06-24-2004, 07:14 PM
good work, another AWESOME AXLE!!!!!!!!!!!! :) But, did you find 20 bucks in the corner? I thought not...