PDA

View Full Version : More Axle Questions

Graystroke
06-24-2004, 10:53 PM
What axle comes under a Dodge Van One-Ton? I saw one at the yard I think I might pick up...hell, why not it's only thirty bones, they're worth that in scrap! :D
I know they are off-set (pass-side) which is what I want to match up to the LR T-case that I have. How do you tell a D60 from a D61 or some other odd-ball ****? Will there be 60 or 61 cast in th webbing?
What do you think of this for a front axle? 9" center w/ D60 hubs and 35 spline axles.

robertf03
06-24-2004, 11:01 PM
are you going to buy that front axle used or have one built?

I don't like the idea of the 9" 60 combo. If you are going to put a custom centersection on a 60, why would you not do a high pinion 60?

Violentv8toy
06-24-2004, 11:05 PM
i guess because he wants something with a 3rd thats stronger than a toy 8"

????

AgDieseler
06-24-2004, 11:17 PM
...How do you tell a D60 from a D61 or some other odd-ball ****? Will there be 60 or 61 cast in th webbing?
The D61 that I saw did have "61F" cast into it. That's compared to my axle which has "60F" cast. I can only guess that if it is a rear axle, it would say "61R."

Those things are meant to run 3.07 gearsets I think. I also remember people saying that with a thick set of gears and a spacer you can run conventional lockers in them.

Graystroke
06-24-2004, 11:54 PM
are you going to buy that front axle used or have one built?
I was thinking of doing it myself.

I don't like the idea of the 9" 60 combo. If you are going to put a custom centersection on a 60, why would you not do a high pinion 60?

Well, 9" are cheap and everywhere. The axle is lightweight and has more clearance than a D60. Also, you have the advantage of a drop out third that's cake when it comes time to set-up gears etc.
How much will 60 outers run me?

And for the :rainbow: Rover factor: Dumbasses will look at it and think it's still a rover axle! :flipoff2:

agjohn02
06-25-2004, 12:05 AM
i know nothing about f*rd axles. did they not make 9" fronts? is that why he did that? or are 9" outers just a weak point?

hey, there's no diff cover to peel.

Graystroke
06-25-2004, 12:32 AM
No, ford did not make a 9" front axle.
They guy that builds them says they have 1.5" 35 spline inner and outter. With Pro Rock D60 knuckles. What's the difference from pro rock and OEM (i.e. chevy)?

robertf03
06-25-2004, 12:38 AM
What's the difference from pro rock and OEM (i.e. chevy)?

not sure, but the picture is balljoint with high steering. maybe thats it.

Graystroke
06-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Here's another idea: If you run a low pinion 9" front and flat-top D60 knuckles. You could run the steering drag link out front and the tie-rod out back over the top of the pinion. Only thing you would have to worry about is spring clearance.
There is another rover 110" Defender PU Flatbead (financial backer of these axles) running the low pinion 9" with 42" and he says he rarely drags it contrary to what you would think. He built a pinion skid just in case. I'm not sure where his tie-rod runs though.

eight
06-25-2004, 12:58 AM
Me thinkith d50 ttb uses d60 outers and are plentiful at junk yards. Then you can get aftermarket inner Cs to fit different tube diameters. So they got any TTB 50s at awesome for $30? No idea of cost of inner Cs, I'm guessing at least $200 for the pair. Then throw in another $30 for a 9". 35 spline locker of your choice. And a pair of yukon inner shafts.

I've been pondering a d44/50 hybred made of worthless parts plus a pair of yukon inners.

Graystroke
06-25-2004, 01:11 AM
Some more info I found on 9" vs. D60

The 9in R+P is just as strong as a D-60. Maybe a tiny bit weaker but almost the same. They are desirable because they run about 200LB's less per axle and have a much higher ground clearance than a 60.

"Although the basic bigger is better and size matters points are still strong arguments in the wheeling community, there is more to the Ford 9" than its size. The pinion is larger than the standard Dana 60, and that fact alone means more strength and less chance of damage. The Ford 9" ring gear is also thicker (although smaller in diameter) than the Dana 60 ring gear, which again, means more strength and less worry. Ground clearance is another advantage to a 9", and a shaved 9" has even greater clearance.

Go to any NHRA, SCORE, NASCAR, or Local dirt track event and look under the rear of all of the vehicles. There is a reason drag racers and hotrod enthusiasts alike have trusted the Ford 9" for years, and here are a few of them. On comparison of the pinions one of the first things you will notice is the additional pinion support extending from (in this picture) the lower end of the pinion. This feature helps reduce the level of stress on the pinion.
Note: the Ford 9" pinion enters the ring gear at a lower point, which also provides better strength and stability than the standard Dana 60.

The angle of the teeth on the Ford 9" pinion is at a greater degree than that of the Dana series. This creates a larger contact area on the ring gear and greater tooth engagement; the area that stress is divided over is larger which means less stress on any particular area."

From The Currie website
"The Dana 60's strong points are its reasonable cost, ease of assembly and the ability to carry and tow heavy loads. The Dana 60's disadvantages are its weight (about 70 lbs. more than a 9"), its low ground clearance (about 1" less than a 9") and the length of the pinion shaft (about 1.5" longer than a 9"). The Dana 60 is ideal for trucks with 36" or taller tires and performance applications where weight is not critical."
Pics:
Top axle in the pict is a Dana 70 HD 35 spline axle, then the Rover 9+ 35 spline, then the stock Land Rover 24 spline.
Rear 9" D60 axle these guys built

bburris
06-25-2004, 01:14 AM
It's annoying, but you may want to search around on pirate for info on the inner Cs and knuckles. Dedenbear makes both, but they cost big bucks. I can't really think of the other manufacturers, but there are a couple more.

I'd guess that OEM means that they're just normal D60 Cs and knuckles, and Pro-Rock means aftermarket. The ones in the pics look like stock balljoint D60 parts like what is on Tate's axle. It might pay to take a good look at Greg's Sunray axles to see what ideas you could copy easily...

Graystroke
06-25-2004, 01:22 AM
Holy Crap! $976!!! :eek: :eek:
http://www.dynatrac.com/

agjohn02
06-25-2004, 01:44 AM
Holy Crap! $976!!! :eek: :eek:
http://www.dynatrac.com/

yeah, but you forget that price includes ball joints and spindle studs :flipoff2:

Busa
06-25-2004, 02:42 AM
Ford 9" only way to go. Greg has been running sunray for years and never had any problems with them. We a set her in Jadarta and will we buying more from them. You can call Lance and he will answer any questions you may have about them.

Graystroke
06-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Me thinkith d50 ttb uses d60 outers and are plentiful at junk yards. Then you can get aftermarket inner Cs to fit different tube diameters. So they got any TTB 50s at awesome for $30? No idea of cost of inner Cs, I'm guessing at least $200 for the pair. Then throw in another $30 for a 9". 35 spline locker of your choice. And a pair of yukon inner shafts.

I've been pondering a d44/50 hybred made of worthless parts plus a pair of yukon inners.
That's good to know Ryan. What trucks wre they in? are all TTB's a 50? I think I've seen some over there.
We need to compile a list of useless **** that comes off trucks and see if we can cluge anymore of this stuff together.

So now the pricing is: 9" $30
TTB $30
Custom axles $ 300?
Locker $400-650 detroit-ARB
Tubes $60?
Bearings are moot since you may need to replace them any other axle- chalk this to maintenance

eight
06-26-2004, 12:38 AM
My thoughts on my d44/ttb50/d60 were to use a worthless closed knuckle d44 and d50 outers. I'd have to see what would have to be done to center the inner C things from the TTB50 on the d44 tubes. Then get a pair of 35 spline d60 sides and have em turned down to fit in d44 carrier, and weld in.

As far as I've read, the outers from a d50 ttb are the same as from a ball joint 60. I know they're bigger than d44 ones. No high steer so you have to deal with that. On mine a superduty drop pitman arm would do the job and are available in 4", 6", and 8" drop versions. The 80 to 97 F-250s and 80-85 F-350s were the only ones to use a d50 ttb. Some earlier 80s F-250s used d44 ttbs with 8 lugs. I also know the stub shafts in a superduty d50 are the same size/spline as a 94 ford HP60, and so are the hubs. A little more useless info on superduty d50s since I tore one apart today, the inner shafts are 1.5", but they neck down to d44 size just before the carrier.

uglyota
06-28-2004, 04:13 PM
A little more useless info on superduty d50s since I tore one apart today, the inner shafts are 1.5", but they neck down to d44 size just before the carrier.
So they're basically as strong as a d44, but heavier? ;)

robertf03
06-28-2004, 05:15 PM
here is why I don't like the ford 9" front axles....

The 200 pound weight savings cannot be real, I'll believe 50, but no more than that, they are both pretty heavy.

Factory housing vs factory housing, the 60 is stronger. the 9" isn't better until you go with aftermarket pinion supports, nodular centersections, etc.

Pushing on the wrong side of the gear when used up front when compared to a high pinion 60. It might not ever be a problem ,but so many near bulletproof parts are coming out for the 60 that common ring and pinion failures are probably right around the corner with standard cut housings.

If/when I go 60's I'll probably consider what you are doing ,but with a high pinion 60 centersection

Graystroke
06-28-2004, 05:25 PM
My thoughts on my d44/ttb50/d60 were to use a worthless closed knuckle d44 and d50 outers. I'd have to see what would have to be done to center the inner C things from the TTB50 on the d44 tubes. Then get a pair of 35 spline d60 sides and have em turned down to fit in d44 carrier, and weld in.

To center the axle to the C's goto Sunray Engineering's website and take a look at their jig. They take a turned piece of metal that fits the carrier bearings and the outer bushings. ...Could be made of a couple of close tolerance pieces to make it easy to take apart.

eight
06-28-2004, 07:38 PM
No eric they have d60 u-joints, hubs, and outers. 90% of d44 failures are in those areas. Also stock d44 shafts have a stupid little neck down and back up just before the splines, while the 50 do not. They should be about the same strength as a 30 spline 60 rear, so safe to about 38s on a sensible sized vehicle.

You talking about the front Grayson? Putting regular Cs on a d44 or 9" wouldn't be bad at all. But the ttb does not use axle tubes, its more of a rectangular thing.

Matt Conlee
06-28-2004, 11:13 PM
left to right
30 44 60 9in

Graystroke
06-29-2004, 12:03 AM
No eric they have d60 u-joints, hubs, and outers. 90% of d44 failures are in those areas. Also stock d44 shafts have a stupid little neck down and back up just before the splines, while the 50 do not. They should be about the same strength as a 30 spline 60 rear, so safe to about 38s on a sensible sized vehicle.

You talking about the front Grayson? Putting regular Cs on a d44 or 9" wouldn't be bad at all. But the ttb does not use axle tubes, its more of a rectangular thing.
The only thing I can see wrong w/ putting the D60 C's on a 44 is that you just fixed one problem and the new one would be the R&P. I'm just theorizing, but that would be my guess as to what you would start breaking.
And yes, I was talking about putting the TTB D50's on a 9" front. I have a 9" housing and third member here at the house. I'm going to take a look at it to see how they are built and how the tubes can be whacked off.
Conlee, nice pic. I had no idea that a 9" pinion was that much bigger than a 60.
The weight of a bare 9" housing is really light. You could carry one around all day with one hand. I'm betting it doesn't weigh over 50 lbs.