PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheeler

ishbo03
07-06-2004, 09:16 PM
my dad is looking into getting a 4 wheeler, mainly for trail and off road use. i was wondering if anyone knew of any for sale. also, we have a limited knowledge about 4wheelers so any advice for us while we are looking would be helpful. what size engine should we get, do we really need a locking diff, standard trans or auto, etc. thanx

chevsu
07-07-2004, 09:32 AM
i have one i need to get rid of. its a 03 model very few hours on it. its sits in a barn all the time. only asking $3500 for it. its 2wd. must buy!

Busa
07-07-2004, 09:55 AM
you finaly going to sell that thing.

cntryboy1865
07-07-2004, 01:28 PM
I like hondas. I have found that they seem to be the most reliable. I have a fourtrax 300 4x4, and it has done nothing but run. I have drown it out like four times and road the **** out of it, and it still does not burn a drop of oil. Honda is proud of there stuff though, so expect to pay a little more. Polaris probably has the best ride, and best price, but they spend alot of time in the shop. Kawasaki and yamaha are also pretty reliable depending on the model. Also another thing to consider is what you will be doing. For most things 400cc or smaller will be fine. Now you go to hauling alot of stuff or running 28 inch tires you might want more power. As far as automatic or standard. I like standard cause it is alot more reliable. No belts to burn up, but automatic fourwheelers are becomeing more reliable, so it really just comes down to preference. Get a fourwheel drive, a two wheel drive will just piss you off all the time when you have to push it out of every mud whole you come to.

aggieblazer07
07-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Polarises are good for just driving along trails, but I like the hondas better. They are almost indestructable. A buddy of mine has one that has been flipped over 30 times and still runs great. We had a polaris that we went easy on and blew the engine within 2 years.

BigRedFord04
07-07-2004, 03:42 PM
"its a honda, it'll go forever, it doesnt know any better" - Jimmy Brune

ishbo03
07-07-2004, 06:08 PM
yea i want to go with a 4x4 model, it will be used for offroad use, no real hauling stuff around or anything. so i dont really need to go over 400cc? what should i stay above? and your sayin i will need over 400cc to run 28in tires, what size do they come with initially and is it the same principle as a truck, bigger tires, bigger lift or do u not need a lift?

Mack84
07-07-2004, 06:24 PM
hondas are good. mike has a 87 and it still runs like a champ

BigRedFord04
07-07-2004, 06:27 PM
you're in this club to lift something and put bigger tires on it....duh....its a requirement for off-road use on those things anyway, cuz the companies make them initially for on road use only.

btw, you g/f lifting her rig doesnt count for you.

:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

jerryg79
07-07-2004, 06:56 PM
hondas are good. mike has a 87 and it still runs like a champ
For some reason I thought that Mike had a suzuki?

ishbo03
07-07-2004, 09:10 PM
i havent had too much experience with 4 wheelers yet, is ground clearance a big problem or could i do most stuff with the stock lift? if my dad buys one i would possibly bring it on the trips to mess around with as well. just curious, does the club frown on people who bring 4 wheelers to use on the trips?

cntryboy1865
07-09-2004, 01:19 PM
as far as a lift on a fourwheeler I would try to stay away from it if at all possible. most four wheelers come with 25 in tires from the factory, and they suck. Most fourwheelers can fit a 27 without a lift. fourwheeler lifts just push everything down. This puts extra stress on you cvs up front along with the added weight of the tires can cause things to break. 400 cc will run 27s, if you want 28s you will need more power and probably a lift. As far as ground clearence, it is everything on a fourwheeler. You will get the most by getting one with four wheel independent suspension i.e. Honda Rincon or polaris sportsman. they have great ground clearence from the factory, smooth ride, and can run just about any tire without a lift. If it were me I would get the Honda Rincon. 650cc, 3 speed auto with torque converter (like a car) susposed to be impervious to mud and water, 4 wheel independent suspension, I believe a selectable locking front differential, and I think even a gps navigation system. Really cool fourwheeler.

Mack84
07-09-2004, 01:37 PM
For some reason I thought that Mike had a suzuki?
Nope the fourwheeler at the lakehouse is a honda

fbronco86
07-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Nope the fourwheeler at the lakehouse is a honda

its a trx350 fourtrax=bad dude honda

soild front and rear axles with rear locker. two things i dont like about. its slow and its full time 4 wd so it turns like crap.

FTAco07
07-09-2004, 04:57 PM
I've done alot of lookin at new 4wheelers lately and i've found 2 that stuck out. If i was going to buy one it would be a Suzuki Eiger 400. Selectable 4wd, lever for a front limited slip/locker (don't know which), durable, can fit 37's, and it's fast as hell. My other choice would be a Kawasaki Prarie 360. All of the above, but it's not quite as fast and alittle more $. I have a buddy that got one and he loves it. I would personally never by a polaris. Best friend back home got a brand new Polaris 700 IRS with the works and blew 3 of the 4 cv shafts in the first 2 months. Not to mention that thing is heavy as hell. I've seen nothing good from the polarises we used to ride with.

eight
07-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Does suzuki still make the little 4x4? There used to be one with selectable 4wd and selectable front locker, 250cc, looks just like all the 200-250cc 2wd utilities. Small ones just handle so much better, where you are one with the machine, kinda like a motorcycle, instead of riding in the machine like in a truck. I can remeber way back in the day when 2wd 4wheeler's were light and the weight ratio was set for traction instead of donuts, and you didn't need 4wd.

BigRedFord04
07-09-2004, 05:26 PM
not topic related whatsoever, but i just noticed james's location: Hitch****

cody, you should fix that...another deal like "Godkin".

Mud King
07-13-2004, 01:51 PM
I got a 400EX Honda adn its a sport quad it runs like a scalded ape and never misses a beat. I ride mostly fast trails and it does great i have never been in a spot where i needed 4x4 cuz its got enough power to power through it. I think its an all around great bike it flies good and tops out right before 70. Would recommend it to anyone. Plus there starting to get cheap cuz the new 450R is out. Just my 2 cents.

cntryboy1865
07-13-2004, 01:56 PM
if you have never needed 4x4 than you have never been in anything. I got my stuck one time and had to use a backhoe to get it out. isn't the 400ex chain drive anyway. Those things annoy the **** out of me cause they stretch and break all the time

Mud King
07-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Good quality chains dont break, such as a gold DID 520. Never broke one.

Doug Krebs
07-13-2004, 02:55 PM
if you have never needed 4x4 than you have never been in anything. I got my stuck one time and had to use a backhoe to get it out. isn't the 400ex chain drive anyway. Those things annoy the **** out of me cause they stretch and break all the time

You had to use a backhoe to get a 4 wheeler out? Holy ****, don't go offroading with me :flipoff2:

ishbo03
07-13-2004, 03:32 PM
so basically yall are sayin that if i end up bringing it on any of the trips i would need one with 4 wheel drive? i dont want to be the guy who alwasy get stuck and has to get help every 5min.

jerryg79
07-13-2004, 03:55 PM
so basically yall are sayin that if i end up bringing it on any of the trips i would need one with 4 wheel drive? i dont want to be the guy who alwasy get stuck and has to get help every 5min.

They dont allow them at katemcy, unless they just recently changed that. Somebody brought one to llano last year, but we cant go there anymore. I dont know where you would take it. Unless maybe if we went on a beach trip or something.

J Cooper
07-13-2004, 04:25 PM
I dont know where you would take it. Unless maybe if we went on a beach trip or something.

most beaches dont allow dirt bikes and 4 wheelers anymore... you cant even use jet ski's on the beach.... dont you love how people that ***** get there way all the time :rolleyes:

uglyota
07-13-2004, 04:27 PM
dont you love how people that ***** get there way all the time :rolleyes:
NO!
wait...what were we talking about?

bburris
07-13-2004, 05:10 PM
You can use a 4 wheeler in Shiloh...

eight
07-13-2004, 05:20 PM
gilmer allows them

cntryboy1865
07-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Good quality chains dont break, such as a gold DID 520. Never broke one.

I don't know much about gold chains, is that like the ones that Mr. T wears. My friend snapped the rear driveshaft on his foreman in half. that has to be tougher than a fourwheeler chain. Just from my experience and simplicity, a shaft drive fourwheeler has to be the way to go for utility and any kind of mud and rocks.

BigRedFord04
07-13-2004, 05:58 PM
i dont mind hookin' ya up to a 50' strap behind my truck for the day. just hope to god that you can keep up. :flipoff2:

eight
07-13-2004, 07:22 PM
U-joints on my dad's kawasaki 300 4x4 cost $70 each, I've replaced 4 of em and one more needs it now. That's in less than 2000 miles. Seems mud and water get past the seals, would be nice if they were greasable. The whole thing's a POS, but its got kickass tires with big grippers and never gets a flat, and gots a front locker, a worn superwinch, and a honda car muffler. The old suzuki 125 still had the origional chain when we sold it at 6500 miles, and it still ran like new too. It had a nice chain guard and guides and I never remember it falling off, or tightening it, or doing anything else to that 4wheeler besides chainging oil and cleaning the carb once.