PDA

View Full Version : tranny prob

bigFAWKINranger
04-14-2002, 07:31 PM
well obviously i gotta rebuild or replace my tranny- how hard is it to install a manual tranny in a truck that was auto when i bought it? i have no experience hanging a clutch- is this doable?

crawlingno5
04-14-2002, 07:54 PM
compare it to putting a square peg through a round hole.

bigFAWKINranger
04-14-2002, 08:20 PM
****. well does anybody know if the 4.0L ranger's tranny can be swapped into my ranger which has a 3.0L? are they all that different?

Fredo
04-15-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by crawlingno5
compare it to putting a square peg through a round hole.

Yeah, voice of experience on that one. I guess it's just impossible to do and I don't know how anybody could ever convert something from an auto to a manual. :rolleyes: I guess that's like "it's impossible to put a 6spd in where a 700r4 used to be"

Yeah, I'm sure it can be done fairly easily if the 4x4's had a 5spd. I'm not up to date on rangers, but if that truck had an option for an auto or standard, the swap should be fairly easy once the correct parts are located.

bigFAWKINranger
04-15-2002, 12:50 AM
well fredo, i know they did offer a 5 spd in the new rangers... but i don't know **** about installing a clutch.... and i was just curious. i guess i'll stick with auto.

bigFAWKINranger
04-15-2002, 12:54 AM
well i think i found my answer-- a 4.0L motor runs a similar and compatible tranny to the one i have. reason i say that is bc i found a tranny shop selling a tranny that supposedly would fit 2.9L 3.0L or 4.0L. gonna go for the biggest one if its cheaper than a rebuild.:D :D

robertf03
04-15-2002, 12:58 AM
might want to check the advanced adapters site. they have a bunch of their application listings in acrobat .pdf files. Maybe theres an easy way to get a tranny and transfercase worth a darn in that truck

bigFAWKINranger
04-15-2002, 11:27 AM
did you have a particular set up in mind???? now is the time if i am gonna be doing anything like that.

crawlingno5
04-15-2002, 11:46 AM
I guess that's like "it's impossible to put a 6spd in where a 700r4 used to be"

If you say so... Though i know thats possible.

Fredo
04-15-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by crawlingno5

If you say so... Though i know thats possible.

No $hit it's possible. I've done it. I was saying that it's just as possible to put a 5spd in a Ranger...but I guess you had to try to make it sound hard or something with your "square peg" comment.

Adam, if you would like me to explain some of the stuff you'll need to do, send me an email at brunemotorsandfab@hotmail.com with your questions and i'll help ya answer them.

bigFAWKINranger
04-15-2002, 11:14 PM
so would the manual tranny be cheaper? if i can get out of this whole ordeal for under a grand i am cool.

froader03
04-16-2002, 06:28 PM
manual would be much cheaper and far easier to repair at that... I don't wanna shoot my mouth of and be wrong (though I seriously doubt anyone reading this knows more about rangers off the top of their head)... weird things started happening in '90 and I can pretty much keep up through '92, after that you're on your own. I know from experience ford does random dumbass things for the helluvit every few years... here's what I can say for sure: ford stopped making my engine in '90 but it was still put in '91s however damn near every place tried to tell me that I was wrong when I said I had a '91 w/ the 2.9 ... I know that initially the 2.9 and 3.0 (which was first manufactured in '90 and released in '91 model rangers) were virtually identical. best reason I can figure for the change was that saying 3.0 seems bring about the thought of a larger than actual difference in the size of those engines (opposite of why something you buy would be $4.99 and not $5.00). anyways, for some years down the road most things for a 3.0 will work on a 2.9 ... I know you can put a T4/5 on a 2.9 so long as, like fred said, you have the right parts (again, see advanced adapters). other than installing a centerforce I've never had to do any tranny work on my truck (another reason to get a manual). my suggestion would be make a trip to the ford house and see if you can't talk to someone who might be knowledgable on the situation. tech boards are good too, not always right you can get ideas on a direction to start.
good luck man.