PDA

View Full Version : JEEP ppl gimme a hand

bigFAWKINranger
07-11-2002, 05:56 PM
alright all you jeep ppl help me out here... i got my lil bro a 89 XJ. the motor (4.0L) has low oil pressure, and the damn reverse lights do not work. i changed the oil and put the proper amt back in, bc it WAS low when we bought it, and i checked the fuses and bulbs for the lights....

input, ideas, insults???? lets hear em...

robertf03
07-11-2002, 10:07 PM
how low are you talkin? get one of those sunpro mech. gauges and hook it up under the hood for daignosing it. the electric ones are usually off a little bit (gotta give Mark credit for that idea)

as for the reverse lights, is it 5 speed or auto? i dont know where the switch is for the auto, but I think its the same as the neutral safety switch.

if its 5 speed you can figure out the problem real easy w/ a voltmeter.

bigFAWKINranger
07-11-2002, 10:17 PM
its an auto- and i really don't wanna **** with it, but i feel bad bc he wants to drive the ****er real bad and can't get it inspected with no reverse lights. not sure what to do .

Rex
07-11-2002, 10:22 PM
Does it lose pressure when you give it gas. It should gain pressure when you step on the gas. I had a plugged up oil filter once and whnever I accelerated the pressure would go down to almost zero then increase to about 20 psi. I was using a wix filter if that's any help and the reason I used a wix is b/c it has a lot of filter element, but I don't that an older xj can handle that much element, so I switched to a fram. :D

BigLee
07-11-2002, 10:23 PM
to my knowledge you dont have to have reverse lights for inspection, at least that what i was told, its not on the list TXDOT gives out

robertf03
07-11-2002, 10:39 PM
you don't need reverse lights, Jeeps didn't have them till the 50's

My transmission doesnt even have a provision for a reverse switch. Theres no way that all 67 and older GM 1/2 tons and up are illegal.

Cajun
07-12-2002, 08:18 AM
Reverse lights may be a requirement now, the older vehicles may have been "grandfathered" in and exempt.

Just a thought, I really have no idea.

Chadnutz
07-12-2002, 08:21 AM
My 1993 doesn't have reverse lights and they've never been checked.

Broncocustom
07-12-2002, 10:13 AM
The last time I spoke witha inspector he told me that you do not need reverse lights to pass. As far as what Robert was saying about jeeps before 50 not having them and chevys not having them that falls under a different rule. If the truck did not come from the factory with reverse lights, turn signals, or emmision equipment then you do not legally have to have it for the inspection. Many early trucks only had brake lights and did not come with turn signals, side markers, and reverse lights.