PDA

View Full Version : Need to borrow a trailer

8Runner
07-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like my trailer source fell through for next weeks CO trip. I was wondering if anyone had or knew of someone that would lend or rent cheaply a bumper pull trailer with brakes. I also have seats available if the person I borrow it from wants to come along.

Graystroke
07-22-2004, 10:31 PM
drive it! Or you could rent one from U-haul if all else fails Just do it for a local trip and tell them you are hauling a 1800lb Geo Metro!

bburris
07-22-2004, 11:18 PM
No ****... If all else fails that's a good option. The U-Haul trailer I hauled Stef's car on had some hydraulic brake system on it that acts like a trailer brake, but you don't have to have a controller in your vehicle. It pulled really well, too.

8Runner
07-23-2004, 03:03 AM
They want $50 a day, which I just can't do. Plus, I think it would be really good to have real trailer brakes in the mountains with my heavy ass 4runner.

StevenAg03
07-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Plus, I think it would be really good to have real trailer brakes in the mountains with my heavy ass 4runner.

what do you think hydraulic brakes are? if that isnt real brakes i dont know what is :confused:

8Runner
07-23-2004, 10:19 AM
what do you think hydraulic brakes are? if that isnt real brakes i dont know what is :confused:

WHat uhaul told me is that they are surge brakes and are emergency only. They work by sensing weight shifting forward ont he trailer and only activate when you slam on the brakes.

Shaggy
07-23-2004, 12:53 PM
that is what i have on my trailor... works damn good... should be all you need... i have never had any problems hauling things as heavy or heavier than my big ass bronco

8Runner
07-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Well maybe I'll give that a try if I run out of options, but at $50 bucks a day, I sure hope I find something else.

Graystroke
07-23-2004, 03:39 PM
try one of the we rent it places. probably will have a hard time finding one w/ elecric brakes. Or go to Ameritrail or Champion on HWY 21 towards Caldwell and buy one. Go pick up a thrifty nickel and look in there, Take three or what ever its called in Brenham sells trailers also. They are on HWY 105 east of Brenham right before the loop on the left.

8Runner
07-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Ok, I may luck out afterall. Lance has agreed to lift his trailer a bit so it will work for me in exchange for my fixing the brakes & packing all the bearings. I started last night and ordered the parts today. So if all goes well & everything shows up on monday, I think I will have a trailer!

As a backup though, I am planning on calling the we rent it places to see if they have one available. I do plan on buying a trailer sometime in the next year or so, just not anytime soon.

mudtoy67
07-23-2004, 10:58 PM
You're going to have a hard time finding anything to rent much cheaper than $50 a day around here. I've rented a bunch of times from Hughes Rental in Caldwell. They have a real heavy duty trailer with surge brakes. Normally it costs me around $90 for the weekend. They'll even deliver it to College Station. Another option is JM Trailers on 21. It's a little bit cheaper but the trailers that I've rented from them don't have surge brakes, and if you don't have electric brakes on your tow vehicle and the "boss lady" is there she won't rent you the trailer.

Broncocustom
07-24-2004, 09:01 PM
If Lance's trailer does not work you can use mine. It is in Anderson. It has not been used for a few months but everything should be good. The registration is expired but that should not be a big deal (you could register it for $50). Has electric brakes and a good spare tire. Chris it is Lance's old red one he had. 2 years ago I bought 5 new trailer tires and did a spring over on the trailer so it did not sit so low to the ground. Just let me know if you need it. I will be in Nashville this week so call me on my cell 713-254-5279, this also means you would have to go out to Anderson to pick it up.

8Runner
07-24-2004, 11:57 PM
That's awesome, James. We are really pushing time on Lance's as we still have to cut off the old & weld on the new longer spring hangers that are supposed to come in monday. I talked to Lance and he thinks that the larger tires & straight axles on your trailer will make it tow much better than his with such a heavy load. I am still a bit worried about lances springs too as they were practically flat on the trip to Katemcy. Anyway, I would be glad to get it registered and do any maintenance it needs. I am plenty quick at packing bearings now since I just did all of lance's yesterday :)

Give me a call if you are still up tonight or I will give you a ring in the AM. 979-574-4802

Thanks again for helping me out, I was seriosuly starting to worry about this situation killing my trip.