PDA

View Full Version : Which Magazine is best

8Runner
08-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Just wondered which 4x4 mag was best and most applicable to trail vehicles. If I left any out, let me know. These are from a discount site that I was going to order a few subscriptions from. Thanks for the help!

Peterson's 4 Wheel & Off Road
4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility
Four Wheeler
Off Road

AgDieseler
08-03-2004, 10:43 AM
IMO, they all have second rate writing. If only Car & Driver covered fourwheeling...

Doug Krebs
08-03-2004, 10:47 AM
There is a new magazine that is coming out that i saw over on pirate. Billvista is there tech editor... They are supposed to focus on covering competition's and garage built rigs, not bolt on crap

http://www.xtremeoffroadmag.com/

fbronco86
08-03-2004, 11:48 AM
IMO, they all have second rate writing. If only Car & Driver covered fourwheeling...

car and driver, whata fag :flipoff2:

Fredo
08-03-2004, 12:27 PM

Yeah, then you would have biased coverage depending on which manufacturer buys the most advertising space in the mag.

uglyota
08-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Off-Road Adventures has the best bargain :D

BMFScout
08-03-2004, 01:09 PM
whatever you do don't get 4x4 builder, it is by the same guys that do super rod which is a badass rag, they have theri head up their ass on this one though.

StevenAg03
08-03-2004, 02:12 PM
i second the extreme offroad mag that krabs mentioned...seems like it will be a good one...i personally get petersons i think...some times its good but at times it sucks..

BigRedFord04
08-03-2004, 03:12 PM
petersen's has had the best tech that i've noticed. they've actually taken apart axles, and xfer cases, etc and tried to explain how they work. they also usually have a good pic on the cover, unlike 4wheeler (which i cancelled my subscription to) who normally has some ginormous useless show vehicle on the cover.

Cody_91YJ
08-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Peterson's is usually pretty good. Lookin forward to the Xtreme Offroad Mag

eight
08-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Peterson's is best. I wouldn't expect anything good from Extreme whatever. Billavista has no respect from me anymore. All started when he started for pirate, he just give good reviews about every product someone gives to him. Not like the old days when he wasn'e biased.

Cajun
08-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Ever think the products he's reviewing are just good? It's not like he's slobbering over Bob's Fly-by-night 4x4 parts, he's reviewed products from Crane, CTM, Fox...all I can think of off the top of my head. All are well respected names and products in the industry.

I don't know this guy from Adam, and won't buy a rag just because he's in it. His tech articles (60 bible, etc.) are excellent, if a bit lengthy. I don't necessarily think he's biased, more that he's just been served some softballs for products to review.

Cajun
08-03-2004, 05:36 PM
To answer your question without responding to the poll Chris, I'd stick with Petersen's and/or Four Wheeler. Any mag will be hit & miss month to month. I get Four Wheeler 'cause I like the Top Truck coverage mostly.

eight
08-03-2004, 06:08 PM
I think there are other products out there just as good or better. He gave a badass review for fox air shocks, but somehow coilovers have replaced them now. He just makes it sounds like whatever he has been given is the only thing that is good, and everything else sucks and will break at first test. So, my prediction is, he will still give badass reviews for whatever he wants and gets free. Like if someone had given him a set of skyjacker monoleafs 3 years ago before people knew they sagged and broke, he'd of said they were the best thing since salsa and tortillas.

usmcagg02
08-04-2004, 06:40 AM
most automotive mags are owned by primedia anyways so it really just depends on what you find more interesting. it seems to me that 4wheel and off road is a little bit more down to earth, fewer trucks on 53's with spinners. :rolleyes:

caveman
08-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi guys, my name is Tim and I am senior editor and part owner of Xtreme Offroad. I just wanted to stop in and say hi :)

We really are going to hit this market very hard and squeeze Primedia by the balls. Billavista doesn't do product review for us, he writes hardcore, how-to tech. We don't need to bow down to advertisers either, that's not our game. We are approaching this from a skateboard/BMX underground format, getting involved with the culture of the sport and hitting the tech rigth up front with cool shizzle.

Check us out! www.xtremeoffroadmag.com

Thanks guys, you be at katemcy Sept. 17th weekend for CalROCS?

uglyota
08-13-2004, 03:59 PM
CalROCS sounds fun...will the trails still be open?

Graystroke
08-13-2004, 07:03 PM
for me it's Land Rover Enthusiast and Land Rover International. Thay have excellent color pictures from cover to cover. Each issue is like a damn book. A year subscription is only $70 for each! :flipoff2:
I'll place my vote in other :D
It is funny/interesting to see their rigs and kinds of wheeling. They are way behind the builders from here. A truck on 35's over there is totally *****in' and radical from the norm :eek:

Violentv8toy
08-14-2004, 06:09 PM
none of em are really great, but i'd have to vote for petersens.....they don't employ christian hazel anymore....at least that guy was funny.

8Runner
08-24-2004, 10:29 PM
So I ordered Petersons, but I am planning on checking out extreme offroad too.

uglyota
09-17-2004, 01:02 PM
someone must have done that just for you, Tate! :D

agjohn02
09-17-2004, 03:52 PM
;)

uglyota
11-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi guys, my name is Tim and I am senior editor and part owner of Xtreme Offroad. I just wanted to stop in and say hi :)

We really are going to hit this market very hard and squeeze Primedia by the balls. Billavista doesn't do product review for us, he writes hardcore, how-to tech. We don't need to bow down to advertisers either, that's not our game. We are approaching this from a skateboard/BMX underground format, getting involved with the culture of the sport and hitting the tech rigth up front with cool shizzle.

Check us out! www.xtremeoffroadmag.com

Thanks guys, you be at katemcy Sept. 17th weekend for CalROCS?
anybody picked one up yet?

jerryg79
11-30-2004, 05:51 PM
stop voting on the poll dickeyes

uglyota
11-30-2004, 06:32 PM
I still have yet to vote on the poll
I bumped it the old fashioned way

dickeyes :flipoff2:
PS this beer is still taking up space in my fridge

Matt Conlee
11-30-2004, 06:54 PM
JP is the best magazine because they dont cover any stupid truck of the year bull**** and they cover mostly Jeeps

caveman
12-04-2004, 06:37 AM
It's out, go grab a copy or subscribe on our website!

http://www.timbercrawler.com/avatars/Magazine1.JPG

Moose
12-04-2004, 10:02 AM
It's out, go grab a copy or subscribe on our website!

Subscribe now and receive 7 issues of Xtreme Offroad for only $20.00! Each issue is packed with exclusive rockcrawl coverge, extreme trail rides, in-depth tech and up-to-date scores and photos from the major rockcrawl organizations.

that's a bit steep for a hole shot over half a year? price drop in the future?

from Peterson's website, a brand new subscription:

If you like it, you'll receive 11 more issues (total of 12) for the special online rate of $12.00!

do you have more content or something?

Graystroke
12-04-2004, 11:31 AM
all mags are a little expensive when starting out as a small company. they don't have the volume or financial backing that Petersen's can afford. I imagine when Petersen's puts a new rag out they are willing to subsidize and loose money in the beginning in order to get the name out, advertise, and get the subscription order numbers up. Also, you may have a hard time getting advertisers to commit w/o seeing a finished product and seeing the public's reaction to it. Something you can do when you own just about every damn magazine that has to do anything w/ modifying a motorized vehicle. Like I said before..you think that's expensive, buy an overseas 4X4 mag...about $8 a pop.
A good example: 4WD and Sport Utility Magazine. I remember when this magazine first cam out in the early 90's it was only six or so issues a year and subscription rates were between $15-$20...which was alot of money back then...ha, ha, Today they put out 12 issues and the price has dropped to be inline w/ other magazines. Anyone else like this mag? I like the trips they always do... Good back country driving trips to do some camping on.

TxCruzr
12-04-2004, 01:04 PM
And if you haven't seen this one yet, its ALOT better then the others. Has a ****load more pictures and interesting stuff. Not filled with "How to install a body lift" and "How to install stickers on your rig" like all the Primedia mags.

Cody_91YJ
12-04-2004, 06:01 PM
that's a bit steep for a hole shot over half a year? price drop in the future?

from Peterson's website, a brand new subscription:

[INDENT]If you like it, you'll receive 11 more issues (total of 12) for the special online rate of $12.00!

do you have more content or something?

Well worth the price imo, just got in the first issue

uglyota
12-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Well worth the price imo
seems to be the consensus
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302869