PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine : Pros and Cons

davido
08-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Anyone know much about this? Is there much advantage to switching to one from the old vbelt setup?

uglyota
08-11-2004, 11:16 AM
radiator clearance and simplicity?
bling factor?
makes it tougher to kludge in extra belt-driven accessories?

fbronco86
08-11-2004, 12:00 PM
i think they are supposed to be more efficent than the v-belts. Plus they are easy to change.

uglyota
08-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Plus they are easy to change.
as long as the idler's spring loaded

fbronco86
08-11-2004, 12:14 PM
as long as the idler's spring loaded

my bad only the jap crap cars have some weird ass screw to tighten them
:flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
08-11-2004, 12:16 PM
One advantage about multiple belts is you can always take off an one if needed and still be fine. Like when I was on the way to cibilo creek on I-10 and my power steering pump came loose. I just took that belt off and ran on manual steering.

Same applies for altenator etc... This is the only advantage I can think of other than being able to add things such as OBA or OBW easier, with out the serpentine getting too long

fbronco86
08-11-2004, 12:20 PM
One advantage about multiple belts is you can always take off an one if needed and still be fine. Like when I was on the way to cibilo creek on I-10 and my power steering pump came loose. I just took that belt off and ran on manual steering.

Same applies for altenator etc... This is the only advantage I can think of other than being able to add things such as OBA or OBW easier, with out the serpentine getting too long

just weld the a v-pully on the device you want to come off of. that way you set off from the serpentine belt.

Doug Krebs
08-11-2004, 12:21 PM
just weld the a v-pully on the device you want to come off of. that way you set off from the serpentine belt.

yes i know this this as well

uglyota
08-11-2004, 12:31 PM
my bad only the jap crap cars have some weird ass screw to tighten them
:flipoff2:
the DC 4.0 is japanese??? I learn something every day!

back to your regularly scheduled tech....

bburris
08-11-2004, 12:40 PM
so is the DC 2.5L... :flipoff2:

That's why all the accessories are made by Nippondenso!

Graystroke
08-11-2004, 12:43 PM
I think that sepentine is easier on the bushings, bearings, and seals of your accessories. less side load. v-belts do offer some advantages in erms of unhooking failing accessories. On my foreign POS the alt. is driven from the PS pump so serpentine would be more plusses than cons on my truck. I guess it depends on how everything is set-up. Just make sure your **** is in good working order and carry an extra belt before you go anywhere.

robertf03
08-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Grayson can you put a newer setup on yours?

the rover serp. setup is the best one I've seen.

Graystroke
08-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Yes, but you have to change the front cover. I could only use one off of a 95 RR. These had a Dizzy (lime speak) and serp. belt. 95 Disco would work also. that was the last year before GEMS MGMT system. GEMS uses coil packs and there is no hole in the cover for a dizy. Hmmmm.....I just happen to have a 95 cover in the storage building...on an engine of course. I would have to find the acc. I think these have the rotor type oil pump also?? Don't know what I would have to do there.

Graystroke
08-11-2004, 11:48 PM
Another thing I was thinking about...Can you look at yours and see what direction the water pump spins and what kind of thread is holding the fan on (LH or RH) If it is RH then I could use a chevy vortec fan clutch? I think... have to check.

uglyota
08-12-2004, 08:38 AM
I think mine's RH threaded on a fine-thread like 1" dia post...total PITA

fbronco86
08-12-2004, 12:28 PM
I think mine's RH threaded on a fine-thread like 1" dia post...total PITA

i really dislike that chevy water pump. I busted my knuckles big time trying to they sob off.