PDA

View Full Version : another engine problem thread...

Graystroke
08-13-2004, 12:27 AM
My engine problems:
My engine on the RR has been kind of running warm lately. at the 3/4 mark on the gauge. also kind of sluggish and MPG has gone down.
I was thinking about it today and thought I would take it down to the muffler shop and see if it was a plugged cat.
Vacuum was good so no plugged cat or burnt valve. put it on the lift and checked the temp w/ a infrared gun. 500* at the cat and it pegged the guys gun on the manifolds, 850+* :eek:
I'm thinking I have injector problems and I'm going to pull the fuel rail tomorrow and see if they are leaking(pressure up the rail w/ them out of the manifold and spin the engine to se how they squirt). I probably will get them cleaned and calibrated...if I can find a place around hear (anyone know of one in the DFW area?)
Also, the truck has been idling kind of rough, like it has a high duration cam, which has me thinking it is an over fueling problem, like it's loading up on fuel. I pulled the plugs and they seem ok. A little shiny for my taste, which also means to much fuel. Am I missing anything? I need to get this thing purring so I can sell the POS.

jerryg79
08-13-2004, 12:43 AM
I can see the ad now...

For Sale - 19XX Range Rover, Only rolled once, driven to and from school by elderly man, some overheating problems, haven't had time to fix to busy with Bingo and trips to proctologist, may be a fuel problem, who understands this new fangled fuel injection stuff, need to sell quick to pay for outstanding retirement home bills - $XXXX or trade for motorized wheel chair (standard transmission)

robertf03
08-13-2004, 12:59 AM
mr carburetor in cedar hill rebuilds and cleans injectors. I'm sure there are others but thats the only one I know of.

I know our 95 uses bosch style injectors. A 4.0 or 4.2 or whatever you have can't need too much fuel. Figure out how many pounds the injectors are, but I'll bet some 15 pounders off a junk ford towncar would fix it up. I see them at pick and pull all the time.

you think maybe its your ignition or cam timing?

agjohn02
08-13-2004, 01:46 AM
sounds like its too lean rather than too rich. egt's go up when its lean and plugs get a lighter color. too rich will make the plugs blacker and wont cause overheating like too lean will. sounds like you might have clogged injectors.

uglyota
08-13-2004, 09:32 AM
she's runnin reeeeel hot!
yeah, I was gonna say lean...or timing retarded
does that engine even have a dizzy? (;) )

agjohn02
08-28-2004, 11:35 PM
i was reading an article in hot rod the other day and it said that too hot of plugs will cause the engine to run hot as well.