PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Jeep Safari Top?

davido
08-13-2004, 12:48 AM
I want to test fit one on my Cruiser. If anyone has one, I'd like to use it to see how it would fit before I buy one on ebay or something. If someone has one to sell, even better.

Scott, what are you using on your Patrol?

Thanks. ~dso

davido
08-13-2004, 12:52 AM
If anyone has any experience with these, would a CJ, YJ, or TJ one be best? Any brand recommendatations or warnings?

robertf03
08-13-2004, 12:52 AM
I'd grab some canvas or vinyl and sew some straps to it and use that seam sealer crap REI sells. Do you even have a windshield frame on the FJ?

davido
08-13-2004, 01:00 AM
That's not a bad idea, but how expensive is that canvas? Where to get it? They seem to be going on ebay for $60 shipped + the rail. That may be worth not spending any time on it. I may see what Jeremy can get me one for.

I don't have a windshield on, but I do own one and it may make it on there.... someday. After getting pelted in CO by hail, I want some kind of top for the future. Anything would have been better than what I had at the time.... which was my Columbia jacket and blue jeans. It would also be nice to cut the direct sunlight on some days, like out at Katemcy.

J Cooper
08-13-2004, 01:02 AM
you talking about bikini tops??? i have like 3 over here, if you wanna check it out

robertf03
08-13-2004, 01:05 AM
I saw a jeep with threaded bungs in the cage and aluminum plates that could be removed. maybe get some dzus fasteners and make feet that stick out from the cage to bolt it to?

if you do make it yourself check fabric stores or maybe even one of those army surplus stores for some old canvas junk to cut up and make a top out of

davido
08-13-2004, 01:06 AM
Cool. I was going to come by tonight and check out the truck progress anyway. A bikini would probalby work. A safari just goes twice as far back. Not that big of a deal really.

Hey Fredo, how much are your new ones? Ever run across used ones?

davido
08-13-2004, 01:11 AM
Maybe some black lexan (or something) is also an alternative for a "solid" one. That gives me some ideas.

Fredo
08-13-2004, 01:26 AM
I'll poke around tomorrow and see if we have any used safari tops laying around. If you want a normal bikini top, I've got one sitting in my scout I snagged off a wrecked heep one day when I had my top off my scout and it started raining. I'll let you know what I find.

uglyota
08-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Hey Fredo...Ever run across used ones?
I think you need to give him a part number before he can track down used tops and carburetors ;)

I think Campmor sells bulk fabric, like cordura and ballistics (that would be pimp!)