PDA

View Full Version : aluminimum fuel cell?

bburris
08-16-2004, 02:37 AM
I'm shopping around for a fuel cell, but I'm not extremely sure of what to look for. It seems that aluminum is the standard, but I've read some that they tend to crack when they sit out in the elements and reside in off-road vehicles.

I found a 15 gallon RCI cell from Summit that has great dimensions. It should fit nicely in the back of the Jeep between the wheelwells, and will give enough room to keep an ice chest in front near the seats, and a little tool storage between it and the tailgate. The only thing keeping me from ordering it is the fact that it's aluminum. Should I even be worried about it?

I know Scott and Dave special ordered theirs from someone at RCI, but what material were they made from? It doesn't seem like Summit or Jeg's carry anything but aluminum and plastic.

bburris
08-16-2004, 02:40 AM
Just for reference, here's a pic:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/rci-2161a.jpg

and here's (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=RCI-2161A&N=120304364) all of it's info.

bburris
08-16-2004, 02:42 AM
I just noticed that it is listed to have foam, but I think that may be a typo.

Disregard that since I know foam is bad, mmkay?
http://www-atdp.berkeley.edu/Studentpages/nselby/t_204_mkaymackey.jpg

redcagepatrol
08-16-2004, 08:56 AM
we both have aluminum also. Foam is not bad in my eyes - of course I don't have any, but it's supposed to work well...

uglyota
08-16-2004, 09:55 AM
from what I've read, it seems like you have to be real careful how you mount it--using straps instead of hard-mounting--to keep them from cracking.
is there any disadvantage to plastic?

bburris
08-16-2004, 03:15 PM
I've seen a couple of the plastic cells in mud truck down here and they seem to have a tendency to warp and get nasty after they sit outside for a long time.

All I've read about foam is that it eventually breaks down and starts mixing with your fuel and gets nasty. I have no firsthand experience with fuel cells, though...that's why I'm asking.

uglyota
08-16-2004, 10:07 PM
scott is yours baffled?
I'd want something to keep 100+ pounds from sloshing around

junior88mj
08-16-2004, 10:26 PM
the aluminum good stainless is good also plastic sucks foam is no good for pump gas it will cause it to deteriate and clog up the fuel system it realy needs some kind of baffel for the pick up tube for off camber stuff ,,,,, are you going to run intank pump or external ??????

bburris
08-16-2004, 10:38 PM
I'm going to run an external pump.

Those tanks I liked to have baffling, but they also have foam according to Summit...so i dunno.

davido
08-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Yes, aluminum also. At 6 lbs. gallon, I'm still under 100 lbs. If it's that full, it doesn't have much room to slosh. Mine is not baffled. Haven't had any problems yet as far as it gaining any momentum. My main problem is that mine is vented since I don't have a return line. At extreme angles, I've had gas come out the vent. Either it will get lengthened or fuel injection will get added. Either way, that will get fixed eventually. I've also had to "adjust" my intake a couple of times. It fell off a couple of times. That was a severe PITA to reattach with a full tank on the trail. That end was last solved with a hose clamp. The other is a different story. I've had to tweak it several times. Even in CO, I pulled out the pocket knife and off another 2" from the end so it would sit flat in the tank. It was long enough that it was curling up out of the fuel. It's probably the 3rd or 4th adjustment like that. I think it's finally flat.

I think the photo that you posted is Scott's exact cell. I believe mine is the same dimensions as his, it's just tipped over and the hardware is on the side. I would like to drop mine down between the frame rails. That's why I bought it that way. I just have mine bolted to the floor using the mounts that it came for. Probably not safety officer approved, but it's there. I would do a hard mount like Scotts (similar to my battery mounts) before I did straps. I don't remember seeing strap kits for metal cells, only the plastic ones. But if they're out there, I'm sure you can get them from Summit, Jegs, or RCI direct.

Graystroke
08-16-2004, 11:29 PM
If your worried about the cell vibrating and cracking or finally getting a hole rubbed in it, I suggest using some sort of sheet rubber under it. You can buy flat corded sheet rubber. Horse mat would work also but may be to thick. It's about 3/4" thick. You could buy a whole sheet of this and do the entire floor. It would knock out noise at the same time and you could throw all kinds of crap in the back and not worry about it banging around in the back. I would cut some holes in the rubber and use some 1/2" spacers between the cell and the floor to keep from over tightening and deforming the rubber.

Graystroke
08-16-2004, 11:31 PM
I have a piece that would work, want to trade for the springs? It's just like the stuff they have at TSC...and not the textured stuff. I've been using some of the pieces as work mats by the bench to make it easier in the feet.

bburris
08-16-2004, 11:45 PM
I figured something similar in to the idea of a rubber body mount. Bolt through the mounting bracket, then a piece of thick but plyable rubber (like Grayson is talking about), then the bolt through the body. If this seems like what ya'll are saying will cause it to tweak and crack tell me...

redcagepatrol
08-17-2004, 09:55 AM
my tank was custom made with baffles and has slightly different dimensions than the stock one so that it fits perfectly between the frame rails and under the tire. I used foam tape on the bottom mounting surfaces to help absorb vibration etc... Made the mounts at 45* with angle - that came out really good! left on the standard connections for other "future" uses...