PDA

View Full Version : cracked t-case

ishbo03
08-19-2004, 09:39 AM
while stacy and i were riding atv's on sunday, stacy decided to take her truck through some mud. it shifted fine into 4hi but when she tried to put it into 4lo it made a clicking noise but wouldnt go into gear. she took it to the shop and the guy told her she had a crack in her t-case. how is something like this caused? he said it was stress related but from what? the new lift she put on it? im confused because she has never abused that truck offroad at all. is this common in '99 2 door tahoes with push button 4x4? the guy said a new t-case is about $1200, is this true? any comments would be appreciated. im pretty sure she is already getting it fixed in austin as im writing this but im still curious. the np203 that i bought for my blazer was only $250, was it so much cheaper because hers is push button or what?

uglyota
08-19-2004, 09:44 AM
That sucks...look at it yourself with the mechanic and see if there's any way that it could have happened when they put the lift on. I'd go talk to the shop that did that.
I also wouldn't replace it with new (especially for $1200).
Ignoring the crack issue, did she put it in neutral or park before hitting 4lo?

ishbo03
08-19-2004, 10:42 AM
yea she put it into neutral and park when shifting and neither worked. i would go up there and talk to the mechanic but im in cs and she is getting it fixed in austin. the reason she is gonna put a new one in is because the guy told her it would only be like $200 difference.

BigRedFord04
08-19-2004, 12:08 PM
$1200!!!!!!! **** that. when we had to buy a new xfer case for tate's suburban i think we paid $350 and that was getting ripped off. i think adam got the BrocnoII xfer case thats in his Ranger for $180. not to mention the fact that BURRIS has one of that exact xfer case sitting in his driveway he probably wont use. swapping the xfer case is about a 45 min project round trip. you need to call her and make sure she gets the "cracked" one back from the shop. *** dammit it pisses me off that mechanics take advantage of people.

bburris
08-19-2004, 02:12 PM
If she has push button 4x4 then I think she has a NP242... I have a manual shift NP241. Unless somebody wants to do a little fab work and some cutting on her tranny tunnel for the shifter mine won't do her much good. I do have the shifter, though.

If it's needed it can be sold for a whole lot less than $1200 though.

ishbo03
08-19-2004, 10:05 PM
so austin, u want me to tell her to get the cracked t-case from the shop? will someone have a use for it because we dont have a place for it in cs or really a use for it. lemme know

J Cooper
08-19-2004, 10:11 PM
so austin, u want me to tell her to get the cracked t-case from the shop? will someone have a use for it because we dont have a place for it in cs or really a use for it. lemme know

does that mean she paid the $1200... ouch... i bought my whole toyota for that price :gigem:

bburris
08-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Damn... I'd expect that price though. Whatever shop she went to saw a female driving a lifted Tahoe. 99 model or not, they got dollar signs in their eyes when that thing rolled up.

If they haven't installed the new one yet mine is for sale, and I could take it to Austin this weekend if it was a necessity.

ishbo03
08-19-2004, 11:33 PM
her grandpa was paying for it and im pretty sure he wanted to just get it handled so he went ahead and ordered it. it is being installed tom. afternoon. thanx anyways guys. and yea im sure the mechanic in austin is bein a jew but im not there to talk to him so im not sure.

bburris
08-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Tell her to get the old t-case back from them. That way you can at least inspect it to see what the alleged crack looks like...

BigRedFord04
08-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Tell her to get the old t-case back from them. That way you can at least inspect it to see what the alleged crack looks like...
thats why i said to get it back. if it really is obviously cracked, take pictures and put it in the nearest dumpster. if not, you need to go back to that shop, kick someone in the balls, and start demanding answers. i'd be willing to bet they tell you they already threw the old one away, which is total bull****, and probably means they pulled the xfer case out of her tahoe, washed it real good, maybe even put some paint on it, and put it back in. i'm not a very trusting individual when it comes to shops doing work b.c. i've done a lot of it myself and know exactly whats involved.

Shaggy
08-25-2004, 11:46 AM
austin i paid 260$ for the suburbans ... still a rip off though

stx4wheeler
08-25-2004, 12:08 PM
so whats the word on this thing shawn or stacy did you get the old one back?

ishbo03
08-25-2004, 01:24 PM
stacy had a new one put in her tahoe, her grandpa didnt want to deal with trying to find a used one in good condition. the shop showed stacy the t-case and it was cracked right where the drive shaft enters it from the back i believe and he said the cause was from too extreme of an angle. stacy called fabtech and asked them about it and they said that the lift shouldnt of put it at that bad of an angle so she is supposed to take pics of it and send it to em. i dont know if this will do any good though cause im sure they will say something like, well there are certain risks that come along with lifting a vehicle.