PDA

View Full Version : gas tank

Tariqui
09-29-2004, 06:12 PM
so my gas tank in the ole CJ is dead it started leaking gas really bad today. I guess that it ate one to many rocks. So when i replace the tank should i go with a plastic (polyethylene) or a steel one. Because the gas tank hanging so low in the rear might eat rocks again one day. ALso i am looking at a Kilby enterprise gas tank skid. any suggestions trow them out. :)

robertf03
09-29-2004, 06:15 PM
I don't think kilby makes one for the cj 15 gallon tanks, just the 20.

i'd go plastic, some of those aftermarket tanks in cj's are ****ty and thin

eight
09-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Mine has a plastic tank and I like it. If you can't find one, make me a drawing and I can bend up a skid plate for you. If its like mine its pretty simple.

J Cooper
09-29-2004, 10:22 PM
we have a cj tank here if you need one... its in good condition and works, not rust or holes... CJ just replaced it with a fuel cell... he didnt like the stock tank behind his seat

Tariqui
09-29-2004, 10:38 PM
well i do have the 20 gallon tank and that is was the kilby skid fits. I guess i will start looking into so plastic tanks.

robertf03
09-29-2004, 10:44 PM
i don't think I've ever seen a metal 20 gallon. They were plastic from the factory

J Cooper
09-29-2004, 10:49 PM
i had a 22 gallon poly tank once and i hated it, it hung down so low you couldnt see the rear pumpkin and i would just drag it on everything, i think i ended up throwing it away cause no one wanted it. i would leave a stock size tank in there (12-15 gallon)

JeepsterJayson
09-30-2004, 01:12 AM
I think the tanks offered by Aero Tank for the CJ use the same depth just feel in more of the width. Here is a link:

http://www.aerotanks.com/jeep.html

I know for the YJ you lose grand clearance, but they are kinda high in price when I wanted one for my YJ.

Tariqui
09-30-2004, 11:43 AM
my jeep came with a 20 gallon gas tank, and it did does used to hang down low but i smashed it up way too far from wheelin. I would like to do the fuel cell but being that i may graduate soon i just need a vehicle that will run and get me to work/internships.

J Cooper
09-30-2004, 11:46 AM
come by the house... CJ might give you the damn thing... or buy him a 30 pack or something

robertf03
09-30-2004, 12:20 PM
you'll have to use a rag as a cap or change a bunch of stuff out. 77 and down had the big ass opening that would fit leaded fuel pumps. And 75 and down were different dimensions since the frame rail widths are narrower.

J Cooper
09-30-2004, 12:37 PM
you'll have to use a rag as a cap or change a bunch of stuff out. 77 and down had the big ass opening that would fit leaded fuel pumps. And 75 and down were different dimensions since the frame rail widths are narrower.

im not sure if it was even the stock tank for the jeep, it looks like the one i have... and he had it in his back seat area with a cap on it....

EDIT: I REMEMBER WHY IT HAD A CAP ON IT. where it usually come in was cut off and welded shut, and a cap was put right on top so that it would have an actual gas cap.. so i guess you wouldnt really want it unless you plan to put it in your back seat, but if you do its cheap

Tariqui
09-30-2004, 06:09 PM
yeah i think i might still look for a new one :)