PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln locking a daily driver

RCcola55
09-30-2004, 10:30 PM
I have a 90' bronco that i drive everyday i have plans for it in the future but for right now ive been thinkin about getting a little more tractor out of the rear the cheap way by welding up the rear-end, i was just looking for some input of the effects this could do to the streetablity of my ride and wiether it is a yay or nay

eight
09-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Mine hardly has any affects on handeling. I can tell a little more understeer with my current tires, it wasn't noticable with the SSRs. You will get lots of looks in parking lots and especially on concrete. I guess it does wear the tires more, but I can't tell, I loose too much tread on every trip to Katemcy to notice highway wear. So I guess it just comes down to, how much do you drive every year?

RCcola55
09-30-2004, 10:48 PM
i drive around town and back and forth to dallas about once a month, this is just going to be a cheap alternitive until i can swap some one tons under is with detroits. I know that it would handle like having a spool in the rear im just manly concerned about tire wear and my truck pullin to one side or the other

Shaggy
09-30-2004, 11:04 PM
it wont pull and i wouldnt worry about much worse tire wear...

RCcola55
09-30-2004, 11:07 PM
so would yall say go for it

bburris
09-30-2004, 11:10 PM
yes

eight
09-30-2004, 11:11 PM
do it

All my suspension bushings are worn out, half the springs are bent, and it still drives straight.

RCcola55
09-30-2004, 11:20 PM
my next question is im new to the club and know no one, is there anyone one out there willing to lend a driveway welder and a pair of hands, im willing to pay the "price", plus it would be a good way me to get to know people

robertf03
09-30-2004, 11:34 PM
can you weld a c-clip axle up?

RCcola55
09-30-2004, 11:48 PM
i believe all u need to do is weld the spiders to the diff i could be wrong though

bburris
09-30-2004, 11:49 PM
Instead of welding the spiders into a big massive globule of poop, why don't any of you guys take the spiders out and fill in the extra voids. This allows a very slight amount of movement, but not enough to shock anything and break something. It seems that this way is a lot more popular than what I saw in the picture of Eric's newly welded spiders.

Below is a pic from ColoradoK5. I can't find one of Blake's - don't say this way is weaker...his 14 bolt is holding up just fine after 3 trips with him pushing it hard. If you welded it this way c-clips wouldn't make any difference, and you could essentially go back to stock with very little work if you didn't like having it welded.

robertf03
09-30-2004, 11:50 PM
thats what I did brett, but from the pics i've seen on here everyone else is welding it together assembled.

bburris
09-30-2004, 11:54 PM
Cool... I don't doubt the strength of the "pol-locker", but Blake daily drove his for a month and hasn't had a problem yet. If he took turns slowly enough you couldn't even hear his 42s chirp.

Also, like I said, you can replace everything if something breaks or you decide you don't like it.

eight
10-01-2004, 12:32 AM
That puts alot of stress on the cross pin and carrier. Not a problem on a 14 bolt. But could lead to smaller carriers ending up like your old d35 one.

Not sure I remember right. On a c-clip axle, do you have to remove the cross pin and spiders in order to get the clips out to pull the shaft? If so, the only way to do it would be like Brett showed.

Dam, I was supposed to weld CJ's this week. Now I can't get to it untill wednesday.....

bburris
10-01-2004, 01:30 AM
You have to take the cross pin out to get a c-clip shaft out.

eight
10-01-2004, 01:40 AM
So as long as you just weld the gears to the carrier, and not the cross pin, you can still pull the shafts?

J Cooper
10-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Dam, I was supposed to weld CJ's this week. Now I can't get to it untill wednesday.....

yeah its still in the driveway with no tires... i guess we will just put the shaft back in for now, until you get time, and thread like one lug on so it looks like it has tires on
... ever think of a way to make spacers??

stx4wheeler
10-01-2004, 02:24 AM
on something you drive alot i wouldnt do it especially making trips to dallas once a month or so, it is gonna wear your tires more than normal, along with shortening your turning radius some to, and make it a little harder to turn. if i t was a beater then i would say weld it up, if i were you i would look into a l/s or trac lock or something for right now you should be able to find them pretty easy online used or new for a decent price. hey also i got a set of 1.5 inch leveling coils that would work on your bronco, ill sell them for 40 bucks.

eight
10-01-2004, 07:50 AM
... ever think of a way to make spacers??

I've got some rod that I think will work. If not, I've got some 3/8" plate and we'd have to go use a torch somewhere, that's what I did with mine.

uglyota
10-01-2004, 08:41 AM
I haven't driven mine but about 1/4 mile, but in theory, the poll-lockah shouldn't affect highway wear or handling at all, since you're going in a straight line and the tires are moving the same speed anyway...as long as you've rotated your tires regularly and they're the same circumference

I think Mario welded his the way Brett showed, but that's essentially just "throwing a wrench in the gears." Everything's pushing against that weld and out against crosspin and carrier when you do it like that; I've heard of people grenading Sammy chunks like that, but don't think on yotas or 14 bolts

You guys need wheel spacers? I've got 2 I'm not using

TxCruzr
10-01-2004, 09:27 AM
On toyota diffs they usually just weld all the places the spiders come in contact with the side gears, 8 total, and don't weld the spiders to the case. Not sure how they differ from jeep diffs though.
My first welded rear was like the one Burris posted and it only lasted a day. This time it was welded at all 8 spots and not to the case and has laster 3+ years of daily driving and wheeling. If you weld it to the case you have a chance of damaging the case if the welds break.

StevenAg03
10-01-2004, 09:42 AM
i personally would never weld one up by welding the spiders to the case. mine hust has the spiders welded together. also i wouldnt do it on a daily driver. if you want a locker look for something like a lockright or EZ locker, they are drop in lockers and are fairly cheap. the Detroit EZ Locker is 266 from 4wpw. im sure you could get it for less if you call the right people there.

i would think for tire ware alone you wouldnt want it. I know that it has put a little ware on my tires. also mine chirps like hell when turning. maybe its the BFG's.

RCcola55
10-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Ive heard some bad things about drop in lockers stuff like then either not locking or not unlocking and they like to make a lot of noise, i originaly thought about getting one but i have two 8.8 carriers and spider sets at my house so breakage isnt an issue, frankly im looking for a cheap reliable way to get equal power to both wheels while scraficing just a little rubber

eight
10-01-2004, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't put a drop in in a rear, enough people break em just in the front. The 8.8 has a weak carrier anyway, no need to put more stress on that center pin. Welding the side gears to the carrier should help hold the 8.8 carrier together.

TxCruzr
10-01-2004, 11:44 AM
I've had mine welded forever in my DD. I like it over a locker because it doesn't throw you into oncoming traffic when you get on and off the gas, which isen't really that bad if your not an idiot. The tires chirp but its a lifted 4x4...its supposed to make noise. You just have to pick if you want function or appearence. For rockcrawling I take function. Tire wear isen't bad. Rotate your tires a little more often and that will help. I'm running BFGs so they're a harder tread than swampers. People with swampers will notice the wear more than someone with BFGs or GYs.

RCcola55
10-01-2004, 07:40 PM
what kind of damage would i be looking at if the welds were to break on or off road

JeepsterJayson
10-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Depends on the situation but most likely best case it would just be spider gears if you only weld them. But is you weld the housing and it breaks might as well get a new axle because they usually take out everything else with them.

TxCruzr
10-01-2004, 10:36 PM
What JeepsterJayson said. Nothing happened when my first one broke since it wasn't to the case, so just pulled it apart and welded the shiznit out of it. Use plenty of rod and weld the crud out of it and you'll be fine.

BigRedFord04
10-07-2004, 07:10 PM
nix hated having his 7.5" welded and much preferred the Detroit once he got it in. a lot of people have tried to convince me to weld my D60 up but it wont happen. do whatever you want. my advice would be to buy something else to drive and make one of 'em dedicated trail vehicle. that is all.

savvyaggie
10-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Just got finished welding mine tonight "locka"!!!!! But mine is not a DD>>