PDA

View Full Version : 3" body lift and 12k warn winch installed on the burb

Sharpe
10-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Went home last weekend and finally got the 3" body lift and 12000 pound Warn winch installed as well as trimmed the front of my fenders. I was planning on doing the back of the fenders too but ran out of time. Here's some pics.

Mud King
10-12-2004, 11:25 PM
looks good, what size tires are those radials?

Sharpe
10-13-2004, 12:01 AM
36x12.50R16

agjohn02
10-13-2004, 12:03 AM
the fairlead should be in line with the cable coming off the spool. the way it looks like its gonna be mounted will put a lot of stress on the fairlead mount and make it hard to keep the cable rolling up straight. i.e.- in a head-on, level pull, the cable shouldnt touch the fairlead.

Sharpe
10-13-2004, 12:12 AM
Is that a 12000 in your pic? I dont know how much of a difference there is between it and the lighter weight ones but on mine, it had an arrow pointing backwards from the front of the winch, and said that was the direction line would be pulled in. From the way mine's spooled, that means it will pull from the top of the winch. Should it be that way? I noticed on the front it doesnt have a little chrome bar across the bottom. But now that I think about it, the line should wind in from the bottom, because if it did from the top it would just compound the leverage on the mount and bolts and that would be no bueno. Dammit I think I ****ed up.

agjohn02
10-13-2004, 12:37 AM
no, mines an 8000. pulling from the top would be no bueno, as that would surely twist your mounting plate. it looks like its mounted correctly to me. the fairlead just looks out of line.

stx4wheeler
10-13-2004, 01:27 AM
why did you cut the fenders with that much lift i wouldnt think the 36's would rub at all even at full flex.

uglyota
10-13-2004, 08:30 AM
yeah you had plenty of room in front; you're gonna rub like a mug in the back of the front wheelwells as the shackle tips back

Sharpe
10-13-2004, 10:22 AM
You cant tell from the pic, because I havent put the hook one yet, but the line would be coming off the top of the drum. Here's a tip for all yall out there, dont install a winch in the middle of the night, now I'm going to have to re-do the mounting plate and the fairlead mount (which sux cause the fairlead mount was my favorite part of the whole thing. I cut the front corners off the fenders to help my approach angle, and because they would have gotten bashed up eventually. They didn't look good with the new bumper either. Like I said before, I plan on cutting the back of the fenders eventually, I just ran out of time this weekend. Before I put the body lift on, I have a bit of fender rubbage on compression, if you take a real close look at the bottom lip of the back fender you can see how its smushed. Also, take note of the front fender flares or lack thereof. The tires broke the back mounts from hitting them and on the driver's side, it completely fell off on the highway and on the passenger side just that bottom part broke off. Oh well, guess its another trip back to Kingsville to my shop to fix all this ****...again. Thx