PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Build

AgDieseler
10-17-2004, 08:24 PM
This may be a little early, since I don't actually plan to buy the metal for a while, but I wanted to get some input before I drop $100 on a sheet of steel. :eek:

The design will look like the stuff Trailready sells for SDs and Dodges, so one 4'x8' sheet will cover it.

What is a good thickness for bumper material? I have been thinking about 1/8" since it's pretty darned stout, and a little lighter than my earlier idea for 3/16". I though I remembered RJ swearing by 3/16", but I'm not certain.

What do y'all think?

BigRedFord04
10-17-2004, 08:42 PM
i'd say go w/ 3/16". i've seen 1/8" dent and warp from what didnt seem like much stress. you've got a big heavy vehicle to push behind the bumper so i dont think you'd wanna skimp on mat'l and put a bunch of work into it...only to have to do it again later b.c. you beat the hell out of it...but then again...this is YOU we're talking about :flipoff2:

BTW...i'm almost 100% sure i saw you dad this weekend in Garland. i pulled up next to him on the opposite side of a gas pump, he looked at me, put it in drive and drove away. is he that absent minded? its not like my truck is hard to recognize. i'm not sure that 3/4 ton green diesel suburbans with a bull bar and winch and big "aTm" sticker on the left back window are that popular so i'm pretty sure it was him. you tell me

Chadnutz
10-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Finish my bumper first. It's on the side of the building by the A/C. :flipoff2:

robertf03
10-17-2004, 08:47 PM
I'd say 3/16" since you'll probably have some sort of d-ring mount welded on.

AgDieseler
10-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Damn, Austin. Is your camera attached at your hip at all times?! Yeah, that's the old man, and he noticed you, but didn't have time to chit chat. He asked me if I knew anybody in the club with "a red Ford." I hope your feelings aren't hurt. ;) :flipoff2:

I'm thinking that all the structural parts of the bumper will be made of 3/16", and any cosmetic pieces (like a winch cover plate) will be made from 1/8".

BigRedFord04
10-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Damn, Austin. Is your camera attached at your hip at all times?! Yeah, that's the old man, and he noticed you, but didn't have time to chit chat. He asked me if I knew anybody in the club with "a red Ford." I hope your feelings aren't hurt. ;) :flipoff2:
camera cost over $500 after purchase, accessories, warranty, etc...i'm damn sure going to use the hell out of it. having taken almost 1900 pics since i got it, its barely paid for itself in the $$ i saved from film developing, not to mention convenience...AND its a lot less work to get them on the computer for blackmail ;)

i'd say step up to 1/4" for structural (mounts at least) and use 3/16 for the rest. you've got the right idea for lesser mat'l for cosmetics...i dunno...i just put all that to stay on topic.

Sharpe
10-17-2004, 09:43 PM
I used 3/8 and grade 8 for everything winch related. Course I used 1/4 wall tube for the main bar so we obviously have different ideas.

BMFScout
10-18-2004, 09:02 PM
he was like a damn china man this weekend, he kept saying "rooky rooky, I takeah pictcha"

aggiemudman
10-18-2004, 10:41 PM
i made mine outta 1/4 inch diamond plate and 1/4 for the winch mount and bracing. Its not heavy at all. 2 ppl can lift it easy. Ran into rocks, hills and lotsa random **** and nothin has happened to it.

Sharpe
10-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Thats not a very good pic of the bumper ***.