PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck Brake Help?

jwingfield2k
10-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Went to go look at a gooseneck today. The guy said the brakes dont work anymore, but he doesnt know whats wrong with them. So it could be something minor.

More pics can be found here: http://community.webshots.com/album/205814436OOMuTi

Anyways, he said the brakes are axle specific (well duh) but no one makes them anymore. ANyone got a clue as to what these things are?

Oh he also has a Dana44 with passenger side diff with 5 lug for sale for 50 bucks if any of you all want it. Hes also got a toyota axle too...

uglyota
10-25-2004, 05:09 PM
I think you should work on controlling one vehicle at a time first, then move up...
:flipoff2:
so what's the deal with that toyota axle? :D

edit: on topic, doesn't look like anything special...closed hydraulic system with an air-actuated master. What's wrong with it? Only things that would be "specific" would be drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders, all of which you should be able to rebuild, turn, or match in the back of a parts/truck parts store

BigRedFord04
10-25-2004, 05:11 PM
PMed you.

dibs on the 44 if its anything useful.

jwingfield2k
10-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey Eric, would you be willing to come and look at it with me one night? Umm, hes got the TOY axles under one of those pickup bed trailers right now. ALl I heard him say was he wants to get rid of it. All this stuff is at this extreme off road place down off of wellborn past 2818.

chevsu
10-25-2004, 05:30 PM
looks rusted out. needs tires.

jwingfield2k
10-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Yah, one of the tires needs to be replaced. And some of the supports are rusted. I"ve got a ton of angle iron at my house I can just stick up in there.

But how does this thing brake, without taking a signal from the truck?

uglyota
10-25-2004, 06:03 PM
there's not an air hookup in front of that MC?
toyota rear axles? I could use a spare 3rd member
ryan can tell you a lot more about that trailer than I can

usmcagg02
10-25-2004, 06:09 PM
PMed you.

dibs on the 44 if its anything useful.

you already got one and i could put it to better use ;)

jwingfield2k
10-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Yah, I think I remember seeing a little white hole on it with about a 1" opening on it. Is that the port to connect to a semi? SO you're thinking this would take 2k to make it safe? Well that kinda sucks.

J Cooper
10-25-2004, 09:45 PM
how much is he asking?, i personally wouldnt buy it, especially if its only a 20' ...thats like 1 vehicle, maybe 2 if it has a good dove tail on it that you trust to put a vehicle on, but with that rust that would be a negatory. and like ryan said, that thing is gonna be heavy as **** and lots of work to get it worth a ****, kinda like pollishing a turd, if your just pulling your blazer go get a low boy goose neck car hauler like cody used or just a bumper pull normal car hauler, people are always getting rid of those ~$200-$600 and it all works.

or get ryan to make you his secret super light trailer he talks about all the time... heard its a bad doode

jwingfield2k
10-25-2004, 09:50 PM
I really don't want to tow-bar my blazer. I would rather just drive the thing out there in that case.

And car haulers such as a bumper pull trailer come with a maximum between the fenders width of 83"s. Right now I'm at 81 without bigger tires. SO when I get bigger tires thats a no-go.

And a low-boy has the same width, I would need to get a deck over. Of course I could spend 4-10k on a nice new trailer, but theres no way I'm just gonna go and drop that cash on something I would use maybe, MAYBE 12 times a year.

1k sounds much better. Maybe since its all rusted I could talk him down even lower, I dont know. We will see. I wanna get some of you guys to come out there and look it over and see if its worth a couple hundred bucks and then maybe adding some stuff to it...

jwingfield2k
10-25-2004, 09:55 PM
I'm guessing this is the setup I would need run it using my truck?
http://www.tpub.com/content/engine/14081/css/14081_90.htm

J Cooper
10-25-2004, 09:56 PM
i never said anything about a tow-bar

and trust me your blazer will fit on either one, you dont need the one with side rails, weld on a tube ramp over one of the fender and you put the tires on each side of the fender well, if cody could do it with 60s and 42" swampers i think youll be fine

Broncocustom
10-26-2004, 07:27 AM
On my bumper pull Scott just welded a pipe over the driver side fender to add support. Then I would drive the bronco over that fender and on the deck on the passenger side. It worked great. the 42's rolled right over the pipe and did not mess anything up.

Broncocustom
10-26-2004, 07:33 AM
Here is a pic of the support and the pipe is on the passenger side not the drivers which I said before.