PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine belt squeal

sasquatch
10-25-2004, 08:22 PM
My serpentine belt squeals when I start the ZJ with the a/c on, but not when the a/c is off. Also, it only does it when I starting it after its been sitting for a good while. Could the belt be loose or too tight? The compressor mounts loose? The pullys look in line to the naked eye. If I let it squeal and rev the engine, I can smell the belt burning. But I can't find where the problem exactly is. Any ideas? It's pissing me off.

texasxj
10-25-2004, 08:34 PM
try getting a new belt-if that doesnt work-clean the new one up and take it back and start looking at other stuff.

TexTJ209
10-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Mine used to do that, I sprayed the **** out of the A/C clutch with oil. It'd go away for a while...then it eventually went away.

Ben97XJ
10-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Mine did that too i tried everything but a new belt fixed it. Belt dressing doesn't do ****. And don't break your belt tensioner when you replace it. Its a *****.

BigRedFord04
10-25-2004, 10:01 PM
serp belts usually dont get loose unless there is a problem w/ the tensioner. i'd try what Kasey suggested and spray the clutch w/ WD40 or the like. usually the only thing that makes a serp belt squeal like that is something not turning...in this case, probably the A/C clutch. mine's made that noise twice, 1st time the idler pulley froze up, the 2nd time the smog pump froze up. both times a wonderfull burning rubber aroma from the engine compartment. have someone start it while you watch and see if the A/C clutch is turning.

sasquatch
10-25-2004, 10:07 PM
have someone start it while you watch and see if the A/C clutch is turning.

I looked at it while it was running. The clutch was engaged and turning. :confused:

BigRedFord04
10-25-2004, 10:12 PM
was it still squealing?

uglyota
10-26-2004, 09:07 AM
if it happens on startup and goes away pretty quickly it's probably just condensation on the belt
you should take it to the dealer and ask them to replace the belt, idler, a/c clutch and check your alternator and kanuter bearing ;)