PDA

View Full Version : MIG Work

sasquatch
11-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Hey, does anyone have a MIG welder around here. My driver door latch is jacked. The metal around the bolt holes in the door frame is cracking and it won't be long before the latch breaks off. I'm working on a patch I made out of body sheet metal and I need to weld it or get it welded over the existing metal before it fails completely. I'm nearly done with the patch and need to get it on there before the latch breaks and I'm stuck with a door that won't shut. Anyone? I'll make it worth your while. Beer?

Doug Krebs
11-03-2004, 12:00 AM
guess you didn't get my PM? When you want to do it? I'd rather have a couple bucks rather than beer at this point, since I don't have a substantial income :D

ishbo03
11-03-2004, 12:03 AM
haha i learned how to MIG weld last week in class. dont have a welder though sorry.

Mud King
11-03-2004, 12:10 AM
what class you learn to weld in??

sasquatch
11-03-2004, 01:04 AM
guess you didn't get my PM? When you want to do it? I'd rather have a couple bucks rather than beer at this point, since I don't have a substantial income :D

I didn't. Sorry about that. As soon as possible. If the rest of the metal cracks I'll be up sh*t's creek without a paddle. I got a history test thursday. I can finish the patch tomorrow after my chem lab. Can you do it around 4 tomorrow?

Doug Krebs
11-03-2004, 01:16 AM
i get off of work at 5, so i'll be home around 530, will that work?

sasquatch
11-03-2004, 01:17 AM
Yea, sounds good.

Doug Krebs
11-03-2004, 01:18 AM
holy **** you're quick

you know where i live? I'm guessing you didn't get ass raped in jail after I left on saturday night

sasquatch
11-03-2004, 01:23 AM
You were there? ****, I must have been more roasted than I thought. :gigem: No, i don't know. Give me some general directions or an address for mapquest.

Doug Krebs
11-03-2004, 01:28 AM
All i did was make fun of you for an hour or so... I wouldn't let you pass out.

Anyways, if you're coming from campus on texas take a right on 2818. Then take a left on welsh, exxon on your left and consolidated on your right. Then take a right on San Mario. There are a lot of San's such as san pedro and san benito, so make sure you get the right one. After taking a right on san mario, we're the second set of duplexs on the left, bright blue, and we're the right side... 638 san mario

ishbo03
11-03-2004, 01:30 AM
i learned to stick, MIG, and TIG in ENTC 181. they also teach you some other machining processes like using a mill, lathe, etc

sasquatch
11-03-2004, 01:35 AM
Alright, sounds good.

Doug Krebs
11-03-2004, 01:35 AM
i learned to stick, MIG, and TIG in ENTC 181. they also teach you some other machining processes like using a mill, lathe, etc

man that must be some kind of crash course...

Ben97XJ
11-03-2004, 01:38 AM
Basically you learn to not do what the Ta's do because they are retarted foreign people. And they weld about as good as they speak English. But they do you let you play with cool machine's. Its a pretty interesting class.

eight
11-03-2004, 01:41 AM
Yep, you get 1 hour of minimal instruction from TAs that don't know what they're doing.

TexTJ209
11-03-2004, 02:14 AM
Does it require studying?

agjohn02
11-03-2004, 02:29 AM
yeah, entc 181 sux unless you either: a.)know absolutely nothing about welding and machining and want the BASICS. or b.) already know how to do it and want to take an easy class that will let you screw around in lab. if your anywhere in between you wont get much out of it except some practice.

Ben97XJ
11-03-2004, 02:36 AM
The tests we actually hard when i took it. You had a bunch of stupid problems. but the lab was easy.

eight
11-03-2004, 03:11 AM
Does it require studying?

Don't be thinking of taking it if you're not required to. I can teach you more about welding in 5 minutes than you'd learn in that class. You'd be much better off paying me.

ishbo03
11-03-2004, 10:19 AM
haha, i mean im not an expert welder by far but i had a general knowledge before the class and i learned some stuff. one my my Ta's doesnt know much but the other one is pretty good about teaching us. yea u do have to study a little for the tests but u get a full sheet of paper as a cheat sheet.

Mud King
11-03-2004, 12:43 PM
hell im gonna take it next semester, i need something to boost my overall.

TexTJ209
11-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I looked at the class a while back, decided not to take it. I'll just save my money, buy a welder and learn/practice on my own..

AggieTJ2007
11-03-2004, 05:50 PM
how hard is it to get an A in the class, I need to take more hours to make the people with the money (US NAVY) happy and get a good grade.

StevenAg03
11-03-2004, 06:50 PM
that class was cake when mayer taught it...we had a thick lecture booklet that all we had to do was fill in blanks....we had five quizes which he asked us the questions in class right before each of them....if you studied for the tests you were a tard....and our TA's actually could weld...it has all gone downhill from there...whos teaching it now? wayne hung?

aggiemudman
11-03-2004, 07:14 PM
any other classes involve welding, and actually get to build anything? something thats not major specific.

Cody_91YJ
11-03-2004, 08:18 PM
that class was cake when mayer taught it...we had a thick lecture booklet that all we had to do was fill in blanks....we had five quizes which he asked us the questions in class right before each of them....if you studied for the tests you were a tard....and our TA's actually could weld...it has all gone downhill from there...whos teaching it now? wayne hung?

I had Golla (or whatever his name was). It wasn't cake...but you didn't have to put too much time into it. The lab was really easy, but like someone already said, unless you know nothing at all about welding, your not going to get much out of it...and even if you haven't done it before, you still probably won't learn alot.

TxCruzr
11-03-2004, 08:54 PM
You'd be much better off paying me.

Well then when ya going to shove a OBW on my ricer :gigem:

eight
11-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Well then when ya going to shove a OBW on my ricer :gigem:

If its a paying job, next week. You got the chevy brackets on that thing to mount a delco?

sasquatch
11-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Alright cool, kicked the door's ass. No more cracking bull****.

jerryg79
11-03-2004, 10:25 PM
You were there? ****, I must have been more roasted than I thought. :gigem:

I'm guessing you dont remember this then either....freshmen :rolleyes: :D

sasquatch
11-03-2004, 10:27 PM
:gigem:

agjohn02
11-04-2004, 12:29 AM
and our TA's actually could weld...it has all gone downhill from there...whos teaching it now? wayne hung?

pretty much, Mr. Lee, pronounced Mista Wee
\ /
U
---

i pretty much taught the lab. the TA from india didnt know how to do any of it well. you could tell someone had just shown him lately. i say if it fills a spot in your curriculum, take it. its easy and you may not learn much but you'll learn something. all i remember being a new experience is threading a shaft on a lathe, id never done that before. you'll spend the first half of the semester in the machine shop working on lathes and mills. the second half is in the welding shop. mostly stick welding, but some mig and very little tig. dont think you'll get to be a good welder by taking it, but it'll give you a start.

if you really want to learn about welding, theres a class i took, forgot the name, entc 413 i think. you'll learn a lot of theory in class, profs a *****, and theres a lot of welding in lab. you can actually improve your skills in there. they'll do bend tests on your welds and there are a lot of different types of welds you have to make. mostly stick with a little mig thrown in. frank, the ex marine corps drill instructor that teaches the lab, knows what he's talking about.

eight
11-04-2004, 01:40 AM
Its changed alot since you took it. Its not the welding and machining class old fawkers like you and grayson took anymore. And its taught by Wayne Hung, not David Li.

If I remember right we did one day of stick and one day of tig, no mig. We did spend some days in the machine shop, maybe 6. Then there was sheet metal fabrication for two days, made a little box. Made a sand mold for casting but the something was broke so we didn't get to cast.

In class we learned about all sorts of manufacturing processes. Briefly covered steel making, forging, extrusion, machining, lazer cutting, EDM, waterjet, etc. Also had sections on ceramics, polymers, and silicon chips.

BigRedFord04
11-04-2004, 11:17 PM
i took 181, had Dr. Wang Hung. he sucked. my TA was Indian...dots not feathers and i did all the teaching in the class, welding and machining. his tests were BS tho...very obscure retarded trivia from the reading.

I'm guessing you dont remember this then either....freshmen

is that a Trek....or maybe a Schwinn....nope...i got it...thats the TAMOR brand bicycle. :flipoff2:

StevenAg03
11-05-2004, 02:04 AM
apperantly john was meaning he took ENTC 313 which is the more in depth welding class it is taught by Price...and she definatly is a by the bok bitcch...i have to take that class next semester...

agjohn02
11-05-2004, 02:27 AM
i took both. kopecki had it straight. 313 is welding only, no machining. in all fairness to MISS Price (she loves that) she's only a beotch to you if you have a pecker.