PDA

View Full Version : z71 SAS

Violentv8toy
11-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Me and my buddy Bubba and Kyle are thinking about SASIN Kyle's z71. The truck in question is a red 97 ext cab with 120k miles. Recently had an engine fire and insurance paid to get it rewired, and kyle has about 1500 to spend on the swap. We've been thinking about ways to go about it in a really cheap manner...but effective cause its gonna be a road warrior and occasional drunk 4wd romps. Kyle isn't gay, but hes got a thing for the big lift trucks w/tires you see around town....none of the fancy ones on 44s...just a nice lift and 35s37s....

So i've been researching it, and from what i gather in planning, it has a 4L60e transmission and a driver drop np241 with a vss speedo plug. A little more research and supposedly, if u find a passenger drop np241 from a k5, it will bolt and plug right up and boom, you've got driver drop.

So i've got a fullwidth pass. d44 that we may use....gonna go crossover steering with 3/4" heims, since we've got em. 52" 4" lift chevy springs....small hanger up front with 4" shackles in back...gonna inboard shackle hanger using a rear axle hanger.

probably run something big that wears well....think we can do it with 1500?...minus tires of course. Also, anyone that knows about a chevy SFA swap...see anything im overlooking?

Violentv8toy
11-06-2004, 10:41 PM
also, supposedly i can use a ford d44 and not have to swap the t-cases....but then the wheel bolt pattern sucks....and yes, we're using the stock rear 10b.

bburris
11-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Couldn't you swap older Chevy D44 6-lug outers on a Ford D44 front? The axle will probably need a rebuild/regear anyway... Then it'll all match up and you won't have to worry about finding a different t-case and making it work.

StevenAg03
11-06-2004, 10:52 PM
you would have to find a ford 44 from a 3/4 ton..there fore making it 8 lug...in my opinion that would be best cause then you could get a cheap 14 bolt and possibly not worry about regearing...

Sharpe
11-06-2004, 11:13 PM
I dont think a NP241 from a TH700 will bolt up to a 4L60E but I'm not sure. I would forgo the t-case swap and just use a driver's side drop axle. Convert the whole damn thing to 8 lug while hes at it. A fully rebuilt 14 bolt tops is $500 and you can find usable ones for less. Thats just my opinion.

bburris
11-06-2004, 11:51 PM
you would have to find a ford 44 from a 3/4 ton..
Why? Just use one from a half ton like Nix or I have, or the one Robert has for sale and swap Chevy outers on it. It'll be 6 lug and will match the rear 10 bolt so there won't be any worries about new wheels and whatnot. Slap some 35s on it and have a mild SAS Chebby.

StevenAg03
11-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Why? Just use one from a half ton like Nix or I have, or the one Robert has for sale and swap Chevy outers on it. It'll be 6 lug and will match the rear 10 bolt so there won't be any worries about new wheels and whatnot. Slap some 35s on it and have a mild SAS Chebby.

because the 1/2 ton has radius arm mounts and the 3/4 ton has leaf mounts....the same reason you swapped housings with tate/austin to begin with...

BigRedFord04
11-07-2004, 11:30 AM
he'd need the 3/4 ton housing, which is what nix has, to have the leaf spring perches on the axle....unless they just LOVE grinding and wanna cut the c-cups off a 1/2 ton housing to put perches on. if thats the case, they're right in thinking they'll need to inboard the spring perches b.c. the frame widths on the older Fords is super narrow for a fullsize.

i do think the 3/4 ton Ford 44 w/ Chevy outers is probably the best bet if y'all are looking to do it cheap. sure, 8-lugs all around would be nice but then new wheels are in order which is just more $$. that could be spent better elsewhere like new gears, and for how it sounds like it'll be used, 8 lugs would be overkill. i spent ~$1750 on my axle swap which included axle purchase and rebuild, new gears F/R, random parts at the store, somewhat beefy heim jointed steering, and 37" MT/Rs.

StevenAg03
11-07-2004, 12:38 PM
i dont think its overkill...specially when he has that awsom 10b in the back...plus how much are a set of 15x10 8lug steel wheels? 50 a piece...i think it would look pretty damn good on them and wouldnt cost that much. also if he finds a 3/4 ton 44/14bolt, chances are that they will have 4:10's in them and therefore he wouldnt need to regear the axles for 35's...plus the full detroit for a 14 bolt is cheap(comparetivly) and is a drop in locker requiring no gear setup

Violentv8toy
11-07-2004, 01:47 PM
we've got 8 lug wheels, just not nice ones. Hes got nice wheels on there now, thats why we don't wanna chage em.

We're looking at getting a hp44 possibly....then we may not even have to go crossover.

and no lockers...

uglyota
11-08-2004, 11:19 AM
totally talkin out my ass here, but I wonder if you can get the Thermal Linear Actuator electronics to power a vacuum disconnect. Then you could use a dodge axle?

BigRedFord04
11-08-2004, 11:42 AM
still the wrong bolt pattern Eric.

usmcagg02
11-08-2004, 06:32 PM
totally talkin out my ass here, but I wonder if you can get the Thermal Linear Actuator electronics to power a vacuum disconnect. Then you could use a dodge axle?

this was actually something that i was considering when considering a sas for mine which would be slightly easier since mine is solonoid. however, i know there is one company that makes a conversion for the TL actuator to pull-cable actuator, if there is the same for dodge would be VERY easy.

still the wrong bolt pattern Eric.

if ya could find a wrecked 3/4 ton and swap rear also. just a thought.

JB
11-08-2004, 06:39 PM
link to that thermal actuator thingy

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/chevy_page.html

I was thinking about converting to this after the electronic shift crap on our 99 goes out.

BigRedFord04
11-08-2004, 07:00 PM
if ya could find a wrecked 3/4 ton and swap rear also. just a thought.
back to the problem of buying new rims...

3/4 ton Ford 44, 1/2 ton chevy outers, 4.10s in the axles, 35"s and the same rims. fab up some leaf spring hangers/shackles, buy some leaf springs, axle's mounted. steering....y'all are on your own.

uglyota
11-08-2004, 07:01 PM
I was wondering about this...is the stock box crossover?

BigRedFord04
11-08-2004, 07:05 PM
isnt this the same as your truck? go outside and look you lazy bastard.

usmcagg02
11-08-2004, 07:08 PM
:D

here is the same thing for the dodge.
http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/dodge_page.html

as for x-over steering unless its different than what they have on the same bodystyle as mine it shoule work fine.

usmcagg02
11-08-2004, 07:11 PM
back to the problem of buying new rims...

3/4 ton Ford 44, 1/2 ton chevy outers, 4.10s in the axles, 35"s and the same rims. fab up some leaf spring hangers/shackles, buy some leaf springs, axle's mounted. steering....y'all are on your own.

true, but if you could manage to get the front and rear axle then gear ratios wouldnt be a prob. granted would have to get new rims but would prove to be more advantageous in the long run in my opinion.

uglyota
11-08-2004, 07:12 PM
like a 15 minute walk or 10 minute skateboard to the damn parking lot, and by that time I'll have lost interest :flipoff2:

BigRedFord04
11-08-2004, 07:14 PM
gawd dammit.....didnt you people read the 1st post....two words:

MALL CRAWLER!!!

he doesnt need beefy axles. "...and the occassionaly drunken wheeling..." or whatever it said....if he wants to go wheeling drunk in a field somewhere then he probably deserves to break some sh!t.

usmcagg02
11-08-2004, 07:17 PM
gawd dammit.....didnt you people read the 1st post....two words:

MALL CRAWLER!!!

he doesnt need beefy axles. "...and the occassionaly drunken wheeling..." or whatever it said....if he wants to go wheeling drunk in a field somewhere then he probably deserves to break some sh!t.

oh great lord of offroad, please forgive me for having offended you. :rolleyes:

BigRedFord04
11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
dont roll your eyes at me b!tch. :flipoff2:

y'all are trying to make this project a lot more work and a lot more expensive than it needs to be.

Ben97XJ
11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
"...and the occassionaly drunken wheeling..." or whatever it said....if he wants to go wheeling drunk in a field somewhere then he probably deserves to break some sh!t.

You should know you are the expert on that subject! :flipoff2:

BigRedFord04
11-08-2004, 07:42 PM
hey now....all of my drunken wheeling was unintentional. the road moved out from in front of me.

Ben97XJ
11-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Its always the road's fault!

Violentv8toy
11-08-2004, 08:40 PM
yeah, its gonna be a mall crawler.

and we don't go ravage private fields and property....

no buying wheels...no changing rear axle....

usmcagg02
11-08-2004, 08:51 PM
dont roll your eyes at me b!tch. :flipoff2:

y'all are trying to make this project a lot more work and a lot more expensive than it needs to be.

oh no, i have angered him yet again, woe is me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i didnt know that buying new wheels was absolutely not an option, was just thinking that going that route might help retain the abs and cause less headaches. and since its gonna be basically nothing but street abs doesnt seem like something he'd wanna give up.

stx4wheeler
11-09-2004, 12:34 AM
hey i dont mean to sound stupid but maybe you could buy or get wingenfilds 44 that is already setup for leaves and is six lug and do the swap fairly cheap, then just swap a driver drop later on or something sjut a thought since it is mainly seing street action. i think there is one like this in the callaway parking behind mac donalds, that is red. jsut a thought

agjohn02
11-09-2004, 02:02 AM
....gonna go crossover steering with 3/4" heims, since we've got em.

are heims good for a daily driver? i know they are self lubricating and all, but they gotta wear out a lot faster than TREs.

BigRedFord04
11-09-2004, 02:12 AM
i've had heims on my steering for about a year and a half, bashed it on rocks in Llano, ran over a bunch of stuff on the road...not problems yet *knock on wood*. it does kinda worry me sometimes but thats why i got chromo heims. been running grade 5 bolts since August, but actually forgot about that 'til just now.

TxCruzr
11-09-2004, 08:28 AM
I've had heims on my steering for around 4 years. Haven't noticed any problems. Still good as new.